• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Suhr or Mesa?

strings4v

As I can't get ahold of these amps in person, I am going to have to buy it blindfolded. I need some feedback from those who have used/owned them!
I play crystal clean jazz, blues, some fusion, and rock (all the way up to 80's metal)
I am splitting my hair between Suhr Badger (18 or 30) and Mesa Lonestar (classic or special)
Andy Timmons surely gets a phenomenal tone through LSC and Guthrie, Pete Thorn and many more get great tone through Badger as well..

Which of the four would be your pick? I have a pedalboard so I am not really concerned about badger being 1 channel.
As far as the headroom goes.. I want to keep the clean sound playing with an average hitting drummer. Badger 18 hopefully will keep up with that..
I don't do huge gigs. Just small clubs and church, and some auditorium mic'd
I like EL34 overdrive flavor but Badger 18 is lightly cheaper and I could use some marshall in a box pedal to get that sound maybe..
What do you guys think?

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
I'd go badger 30 for the headroom
I like Mesa but they seem to have a slow response for my taste

strings4v

Do you think Badger 18 will suffer from lack of headroom?
I've used Egnater Tweaker 15 and kept it clean.. I have a 30 Watt El84 class A amp and haven't turned it up passed 3 yet.

I do want to get Badger 30 though just in case I have to play out.

strings4v

Badgers are awesome amps.
Since you've got badger 18.. can it do marshall crunch? Or at least a good pallet for a marshall-ic OD pedals like CM plexitone.
My philosophy was to get really good clean and crunch with the amp and hit pedals for lead. I thought EL84 chimy thing would fit better for that... what do you think?

That's a tough one to call without a demo.

I was always impressed with the Suhr. I would own one in a heartbeat.
I never gigged with one, but I've played them and they were sweet. I've mixed many suhr's. All of their amps sound good.

I only demo'd a lone star special once, but I liked it. It's more versatile. I don't really think it's an apples to apples comparison to the Shur , so I'm hard pressed to advise you.

I totally agree that _if_ you go with the badger you will probably want
The 30 or 35 for the headroom for your situation.

I have 12 watt and 30 watt EL84 amps. If I'm dimming the 12 watt into power tube distortion through an efficient speaker, it can compete with a drummer. But if I dialed it back to where it's on the edge of breakup or clean, it can get lost. My 30 watt can definitely hang in that situation though. I would think that you'd be in similar territory with the badgers.

Good luck. Let us know how you made out.

nicolasrivera

Platinum Supporting Member
get the Mesa boogie 5:50 Plus, it covers anything you want and it's tone is just amazing!

Steve73

I'd go lonestar. With a 100 watts, headroom is not an issue and it's a more versatile amp. Nice reverb as well.

Catthan

I've got both the Badger 30 and the LSS, with the former currently for sale.

The reason being that I needed a 2-channel combo rather than a single channel head+cab+pedals for logistical reason. (Different circumstances now than when I got the Badger head although I still hate combos with passion..).

Both are great amps. However there's smth in the simplicity of the Badger that makes the LS feel like a modelling amp or a multi-fx unit with all the toggles, features and options.
However, once you dial the LS in, there's a unique identity in it which I really like. Nothing in the tonal options offered sounds like a cheap modelling attempt. When the say Texas blues tone, they do mean it!
If you plan on using the amp as a pedal platform, there's nothing in the Badger that would leave you wanting imho. But if you plan to take full advantage of the tonal pallet offered by the LS, I'd say go for that one.
If I could I'd probably keep both tbh. But if I could do my job with just the Badger I'd probably keep that one.

Since you say that you got pedals, maybe Badger is the way to go (I'd say 30 or 35 if you want more "chewy"). But if you feel you would take advantage of the features of the LS then it's a lovely amp to have. It may probably take some tweaking tho' before you dial it in to taste. But then maybe you could possibly get rid of some pedals.

Can't go wrong with either.

lestera34

Silver Supporting Member
The badger 18 is one of my favorite amplifiers ever, but you may want some increased wattage for headroom if playing with a band. IMO

GasMask

The Badger 30 is a great amp. Takes pedals better than any amp I've owned, and I've been playing a long time. It excels at crunchy mid-gain rock tones. Have to say in all honesty though- it is not what I would recommend for "crystal clean jazz". Also, if you want a singing, saturated high-gain lead tone, you'll be needing a pedal for that.

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
I've never owned or played a suhr, but I have to say my Mesa is the greatest amp I've ever owned!

Lullabies

I'd go with a Lonestar because they take pedals amazingly and have nice cleans with tons of volume and headroom on tap.. but fwiw I'm a big Mesa fan so ..

willyboy

Silver Supporting Member
Lots of love for the Mesa's, nice amps no doubt....
I own a Roadking combo and a Badger30. I've had both amps since they were first released so I've logged lots of gig's and sessions with both over the years. No competition.... the Badger with a few pedals does pretty much everything the Mesa does but leagues better IMO. I will agree it won't do absolute pristine cleans, but I like mine with a slight bit of edge anyway.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom