• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Suhr or Mesa?

Timboguitar

I'd go badger 30 for the headroom
I like Mesa but they seem to have a slow response for my taste
I like a number of Mesa amps; LSC, Trans Atlantic series, the Express series. I even gigged with the Rectoverb (series one-without switchable power tubes). But I have to agree with you here. Once I was able to perceive what the "DynaWatt" feature was doing to the sound, I could no longer keep them on my list of front runners. I sold my Rectoverb when I began to use Strats and Tele's. It sounded great w/my PRS and Les Paul though. (All of which are long gone). Can't deal with "DynaWatt".

Tim

pjrhd28

Platinum Supporting Member
Don't know what your budget is, but I've never played an amp that does the big, Twin like Fender cleans with Marshall dirt than the CAA-OD-100 (Suhr) amps.

That being said, I would decide based on the simplicity of the Badgers versus the flexibility of the Mesas. And if you need lots of headroom, the 4 6L6 LSC is world class.

strings4v

Don't know what your budget is, but I've never played an amp that does the big, Twin like Fender cleans with Marshall dirt than the CAA-OD-100 (Suhr) amps.

That being said, I would decide based on the simplicity of the Badgers versus the flexibility of the Mesas. And if you need lots of headroom, the 4 6L6 LSC is world class.
How much headroom are we talking? Most gigs i do, I usually mic my amp up. Only situations I need headroom is at practice, rehearsals, and small coffee shop gigs

strings4v

I'm splitting my hair between badgers now
Badger 18 can be had a little bit cheaper which is really appealing to me.
I've had a couple EL84 amps and I love the clean.
So I've got 2 questions..

1. Are they completely different to the extent that the difference between them can't be compromised by pedals? I was planning on getting great clean and edge of breakup tone with Badger 18 and maybe use a marshall in a box OD pedal for british gain tones.

2. How is the headroom on Badger 18? Can it be played with average hitting drummers and not broken up? In most situations, I am mic'd up but at practice or some outside venues I need to be heard over drums.
*I have a Palomino V32 which is a Class A amp, and I haven't turned the volume passed 3 yet.

mscotts

What?!
Gold Supporting Member
If you need ANY headroom (and it sounds like you do), get the Badger 30 or 35.
Badger 30 gets my vote for an amazing sounding amp that's
One of the best pedal platforms ever.

Get an old Mark series Mesa/Boogie which will cover everything well. However remember it's not a Marshall amp (obviously).

logdrum

Mesa. My friend has botique single channel amps, even a PRS. I cannot bond with any of his amps except hsi Marshall and Fender. I have found that most mesa's can be dialed in to work for whatever you are doing. I play quite jazz as well and use the Mesa's for that.Go for the LSS.

ACETECH

You might listen to a Bad Cat Amps. They are very quiet with lots of headroom.
Paul

Last edited:

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
I play crystal clean jazz, blues, some fusion, and rock (all the way up to 80's metal)
I play the same styles plus Funk/R&B.

Not on your list but I'd seriously consider a Fryette Sig:X. It covers all the bases you mentioned extremely well. You can set the wattage individually for each channel so you can have 100 watts for clean Jazz with plenty of headroom and 40 watts for the other channels. The master volume on the gain channels is exemplary...the amp sounds great even at bedroom volumes.

I've honestly never been so happy with an amp and the used prices are an incredible bargain.

Highly recommended.

picnic

LSS for me. Suhr's a great amp, but the Mesa has been my go to amp for 10 years. Not much it can't do. No metal for me. LSS is one the amps that covers so many tones and situations well

guitarvc

Id get the Lonestar, but would also use a BB Preamp and a high quality compressor for the overdrive tones. That, along with using your ears instead of your eyes on setting the EQ is key. Mesa EQ controls work differently that Marshall style circuits. On the OD, I set mine EQ like this

Treble 1 O'Clock
Mids 10 O'Clock
Bass 9 O Clock
Presence Noon

That, along with using the BB just to fatten up without gain and the compressor to tighten up the overdrive works beautifully.

For me the Badger doesn't have enough gain...although I only tried an 18 in 2007. I wasnt impressed. That being said, if you can afford the PT 50...get that one as it kills

Digital Wrath

I use my Badger 18 mostly for slightly hairy cleans and get bigger crunch tones from pedals. For that purpose it is truly an awesome amp, even at bedroom levels. I think it also works very well as a Marshall-y rock amp too when you use the pre-amp distortion. But no, it's not a hi-gainer.

For me, the option to mix pre- & power-amp distortion at all levels brings a lot of versatility. The Badger is a simple amp if you look at the front panel, but looks can be very deceiving.

One thing I noticed with it straight away was a complete lack of shrill/brittle highs. You have to really screw things up to get a bad sound out of it. That said, some might like more aggressive highs, this thing is smooth all the way.

EDIT: I also have a Mesa Transatlantic TA-15 that has more switches, knobs and rougher trebles. The Mesa seems to need much more tweaking and a careful selection of cab.

strings4v

A lot of people recommend LSS versus LSC.. Is there any specific reason? I wonder if i put EL34 in lone star classic, the drive tone will have more crunch..

theroan

I think the reason for the preference for the LSS is because tonally is has a lot to offer. I almost describe the clean as a Fender/Vox hybrid and the gain as a Marshall/Vox hybrid (the way I run it at least). Maybe I don't know how to set it properly, but I really didn't care for the Badger at all. I traded my Vox C2X for the LSS and fell in love with it.

strings4v

I think the reason for the preference for the LSS is because tonally is has a lot to offer. I almost describe the clean as a Fender/Vox hybrid and the gain as a Marshall/Vox hybrid (the way I run it at least). Maybe I don't know how to set it properly, but I really didn't care for the Badger at all. I traded my Vox C2X for the LSS and fell in love with it.
Are LSS and LSC completely different animals? Would special be closer to, say, marshall-y dirt than classic equipped with EL34's ?

pjrhd28

Platinum Supporting Member
Are LSS and LSC completely different animals? Would special be closer to, say, marshall-y dirt than classic equipped with EL34's ?

Night and day.

LSC is big, Fender Twin. 4 6L6's. I don't not think it gets really Marshally even when putting EL-34's in it. Great SRV-ish amp.

The LSS is 4 El-84's. It's light, airy, chimey and whispy. Breaks up much more quickly. It just won't 'thump" like the LSC. A little scratchy.

Where I love the LSS is when its dialed in to produce tones like Buddy Whittington on the 70th Birthday John MAyall concert (its on YOU TUBE). I know Buddy uses Z amps, but that's the tone I link with the LSS.

Channel 2 on the LSS, thicker engaged, can get close to a big bottle Marhall tone- but its just not quite as organic or pure.

I think the Mesa that does big bottle MArshall the best is probably the Electradyne.

Top Bottom