Suhr Owners...Neck question:

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by bikerdude2, Jan 29, 2008.

1. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

Can anyone compare this Surh neck size (Even C slim neck .800-.880
    >> 11" - 14" radius
    >> 1.650 nut width)
    to another guitar for me? A PRS or a EBMM Axis would make a great comparison...Thanks!

2. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

Very different from the Ernie Ball. The EB has a more narrow and deeper feel. I have a McCarty which has the wide fat neck gut I would say the Suhr profile will still be slimmer and more slinky feeling than their standard necks . I have a couple of friends that have old Fenders and compared to my friends '65 Strat the Suhr is similar but a little more substantial in a good way. To me some of the old Fenders have neck profiles that are too slim.

3. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

I thought the Axis neck played like butter, but compared to my McNaught, it felt way to narrow, which is what I'm trying to avoid again. Thanks!

4. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

You can send your favorite neck to get copied if you like. I don't know what the fee is though.

5. Sunil

Sunil Gold Supporting Member

Suhr Classic owner here. Can't comment on PRS, but I've had a couple of Axis Sports, Steve Morses, and a Silhouette in the past. All my Suhrs have either the 60s C Vintage Standard or Even C Medium necks with a 1.65 nut width, and I agree with Bikerdude that the EB/MM necks are narrower, a little too much so for my taste. The EB/MMs play great, just too narrow, and I have small hands.

6. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

That seems to have me under it's spell :jo

7. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

The 1.65 nut width is their standard 1 5/8" . That is pretty common for Strats. I also have a Suhr with the slightly wider 1 11/16" which is what PRS uses I believe. I don't know about EB but my Axis feels more narrow. I like it but it's not my main guitar.

8. gerryguitar

gerryguitar Member

I have a question, is it possible to have a Suhr made with the neck dimensions of an EBMM..? the reason I ask is because I've been thinking about having a guitar built by Suhr.. I'd love to have a Floyd Rose equiped guitar with EMG's... with a Luke neck profile... I really love the neck on the Luke guitar...

9. Kappy

Kappy Member

I think they were talking about having measured this exact model on the Suhr forum a week or two ago. Contact Ed Yoon @ Suhr for details. They also say on their site they'll do any neck if you send them the guitar (and there's an upcharge to do it).

10. John C

John C Supporting Member

cochese - EBMM does use a smaller measurement: their 1 5/8" wide necks are 1.625" wide (.625 is really what you get when you divide 5 by 8). I've had 3 EBMMs (2 Silo Specials and an AL), and all of them do measure out at 1.625"

I have small hands and struggle with occasional RSI issues; my current Silo Special is my #1 guitar. Also, the 1.650 (or 42mm) seems to be an FMIC-era Fender thing; my old '79 Lead II also measure out at 1.625". Since that was my first "good" guitar and the one I learned on, no wonder the Silo Specials feel like "home" to me.

11. Fusionshred

Fusionshred Supporting Member

This neck you describe is pretty sleek. Not unlike a TA neck. Not as thin or wide as an Ibanez Wizard, but fine for shredding. Nothing at all like either the EBMM or the PRS necks. More like a modern Strat neck. The EBMM Axis is narrower and fatter, and has a slight taper where the bass side is thicker and the treble side is thinner (asymetrical). Although excellent guitars, the Axis always felt strange to me for that reason. The neck isn't all that fat, but because it's so narrow, it feels like a pole.

The PRS neck (Wide/Fat - not Wide/Thin) is more rounded, has wider string spacing, and a 10" radius.

There IS a Suhr neck that has a V-shape that will get you close to the Luke, but offhand I don't remember which one it is. Probably their 56 Soft Medium V with the 1.65 nut will get you close without the upcharge of having your neck copied. YMMV