Suhr owners...Tell me all about your guitars!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Bad G.A.S., Aug 17, 2008.

1. Bad G.A.S.

Bad G.A.S. Senior Member

I've heard these are a lot better than any Fender Strat...Is the hype over Suhr guitars deserved? What are some good models, and what features, pickups etc do you like best about them? Also, does anybody know where I could find one used or new in Canada? (preferably used...3.5 grand is a lot of coin!) I love my Ibanez JS 1200, but I might possibly sell it and the rest of my gear if the Suhr's are as good as I've heard in clips and videos...I love the noiseless SC pups Scott Henderson uses...

2. Jericho

Jericho Member

I don't think the pickups themselves are noiseless. Scott Henderson first used the Suhr V60's (LP?) but i think he know uses the Suhr FL pickups. However it's the Back Plate Silent Single Coil System that keeps them humfree

3. samtheman

samtheman Member

I have a 4 reason to get Suhr :AOK

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

/sam

4. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Mine is a sunburst Custom Classic, SSH - V60LP neck and middle, SSH humbucker in bridge. I'm taking it in next week to swap FL pups for the V60LPs, and a custom-made Suhr green pickguard.
    My Suhr strikes me as what I'd end up with if I rummaged around all the cool Strats I've played for the past 20 years and picked the very best parts. It plays ridiculously smoothly and sounds awesome. Honestly the V60LP pups sound great, but I played a Suhr with FLs that was "exactly" the tone I seek - a great deal like my 1961 Stratocaster. It's made out of choice wood (beautiful graiin), it is very, VERY resonant (think EJ Strat body), articulate and never muddy. Honestly - I've played vintage Strats that don't sound as good, and Master built Fender Custom Shop Strats that weren't assembled as well. Neck pocket gap? There is none - can't fit a knife-edge there, never mind a business card.

It just plain does what a really great Strat is supposed to do, and does so without compromise

Peace,

jb

5. Zeon45

Zeon45 Member

That Suhr is a nice Classic T quilt top. I'm looking a Suhr, Anderson and Fender Custom Shop for my next guitar. They all make great stuff at similar prices so it's going to be a tough decision. The CS strats, TAG DropTop Classics and Surh Classics are my current choices. Unfortunately I can only afford one. :(

6. VintageKnob

VintageKnob Supporting Member

The guitar that stays out on the stand in my office/studio is a '06 Suhr Pro that I made into a 3 single coil. Through my Lil' Dawg 5E3's it's just perfect. No more looking back at Fenders. It's quite humble next to the pics posted above, but what it lacks in looks, it WAY makes up for in playability and tone.

Plus I picked it up used for a song! ;-)

[​IMG]

7. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

8. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I currently own three (and am waiting on a fourth). One is a seafoam green Pro Series S2 with the BPSSC system installed. One is a black Classic with 3 V54 pick-ups (sound very vintage and "chimey" to me) and the SSC system (which is even more remarkably noise reducing than the BPSSC -- and the latter aint bad either). The SSC system as truly a godsend for those of us that love single coil pick-ups but play in electronics rich environments and with more than a bit of gain. One is a trans red Classic T with a flamed maple top, Brazilian rosewood board and two Humbuckers (DSV in the neck, SSV in the bridge). Not an especially "T" style T-guitar, but possesses a multitude of useful clean tones and has a knack for higher gain applications that outstrips my much loved Classic model. The latter two guitars both have SS frets, as well.

All three of the guitars feature the Buzz Feiten tuning system, which sounds great to me and facilitates great board flexibility for chord positioning and the like.

I am very impressed with Suhr's consistently high level of build quality, combined with the remarkable playability and appearance of the instruments. I think the reputation of these instruments is very well deserved, and I have also been impressed with the thoughtful and personal nature of the customer service I have received in interactions with John Suhr and Ed Yoon at the company.

9. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

Absolutely. The SSC will spoil you though! :eek:

10. Tramp

Tramp Gold Supporting Member

+2 on this! I own 2 Suhrs: a sunburst Classic with V60lps and SSC and a chambered mahogany T with S-90s. The Classic was made to my specs, the T bought new on faith. Both are outstanding! The playability, fit and finish and consistency of the guitars that come out of John's shop are all remarkable. I'm loath to buy new in this economy, but the pull of having a Classic T made with SSC is getting overwhelming.

11. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Supporting Member

I recently bought an EJ strat and a Suhr Pro S1 off the Emporium in an attempt to find myself a killer strat.

The Suhr is nearly flawlessly put together. Like mentioned before, no neck pocket gap. Zero finish issues, zero fret issues, great tone. Everything about it from the case to the treble bleed to the strap pins shows that some thought and lots and lots of expertise went into designing and building the guitar. I've seen slightly prettier fretjobs, but not many and not by much. For $1200-1400 that used Pros go for, you are easily in or beyond Fender Custom Shop, Anderson, et al quality.

I read on another forum, somebody having intonation issues with their new Suhr. The owner was wondering if the frets were misaligned. John S. posted in the thread something to the effect of "the frets are not misaligned and I would bet my life on it." And somehow when he says that, you believe him! He also implored the owner to send it back so he could fix any problems. There's a certain comfort, IMO, in knowing that the guitar was creating by people that actually give a ****.

Now, the EJ strat...Lacquer slopped all over the frets and nut. A bit of a bass-side pocket gap (that a little shifting too care of, but still...)...Fretwork leaves a bit to be desired. Hey, it looks and feels like it was put together by $10/hr workers on the line, and it probably was. Not that those builders don't take pride in what they do, but something tells me the same passion isn't there.

But you know what? That EJ has some vintage strat tone to it. And the thought that went into the design does come through despite any imperfections. And things like the feel of the six-screw bridge under your hand, the volume knob at your pinkie, the nitro finish, they all lend a vibe to the experience that is very different (notice I didn't say better or worse) than the Suhr. You can of course get all of those things on a custom Suhr...for three times the price. I'd bet that a Custom Suhr Classic with a nitro finish and all of the vintage appointments is probably as close to a perfect guitar as I can imagine.

So on paper things are pretty cut and dry, but in reality it's a different story. A better-build guitar doesn't necessarily mean a better guitar, if that makes sense. And which of the two I like better really comes down to my mood at any given moment. I'm only going to keep one, but it's been a real, real hand-wringing decision for me.

12. VintageKnob

Ya' know, I bought and sold at least 6 Fender Strats and 3 G&L Legacy's over the last few years. The last 3 Fenders where vintage hot rods. The last one I put fat 50's in and it sounded amazing. Total Strat vibe and tone to the bone. However, being raised a LP player for over 35 years and just in the last 5 or 6 have I became a lover of the whole Strat thing, after a while the way they played got old with me. They just seemed too hard to play, at least they way I play. After many, many sessions with my guitar tech, I gave up.

The Pro that I modded doesn't have the exact same Strat vibe as say a master built custom shop, (I'm the webmaster for a shop near my home that sells a ton of the so I get to play quite a few) but it plays as good or better than one. And even though the tone may not be exactly a vintage tone. It's like glass, or crystal. With a simple ibanez chorus set slow and low through my 25 watt 5E3, the harmonic quality is so pleasant. Just beautiful.

It may not be a vintage Fender, but it does not leave me wanting.
    For the $1,400.00 I paid for it. It was a gift.

For me, a better built guitar did mean a 'better guitar'. I've stopped looking for "the" Strat for me. I'm good to go, thanks.
    Of late I've found the amp I've been hearing in my head that goes perfect with this axe. Now back to playing. :dude

- DS

13. MartinC

MartinC Member

Someone posted previously, but yes, Scott Henderson has the SSC system and Suhr single coils ... not noiseless/stacked pickups.

I've got a Suhr Classic with 2 V60LPs and a DSV humbucker in the bridge ... all vintage output and vintage sounding pickups. The build quality, playability and tone on the guitar are all outstanding. The tweaks to the strat formula really do make a difference (SS frets, compound neck radius, heel contour, SSC). I ordered one with everything just the way I wanted it and got a guitar that sounds and feels exactly as I had hoped it would. And price-wise, whilst they aren't cheap, if you compare the price to Fender Custom Shop they come out about the same (at least in Australia). I don't have a lot of experience with Fender CS guitars ... I've tried a few, one in particular that I regret not buying ... but I can't imagine they could be better than my Suhr Classic.

The Pro Series, which has the same build quality, playability and tone, but pre-defined specs, is incredible value too.

14. Janne.M

Janne.M Member

This really depends what You are looking for...
    In my humble view I look upon Suhrs offering this (fairly simplified) way:

The Standards (including the Pro series):
    Johns take on how a modern 'strat' should be build. Noting vintage going on here just great playability, ergonomics and a great set of sounds. Not necessarily vintage replicas instead modern useful takes on those classic sounds.

The Classics:
    This is the vintage series, if You must have that vintage mojo (S & T's), look here.
    This is where John offers those classic vibes with modern precision.
    You can even have them reliced (the Antiques).

The Moderns:
    Johns take on those 24-fret, shred machines of the eighties, but with tons of tone and sound quality combined with Suhrs perfection.

Since You are coming from an Ibanez, You probably not going for the vintage vibe, I would recommend You start looking at the Standard Pro Series, Great value for money!
    My S3 made me sell my Fender (no surprise really), and I'm thinking of unloading my PRS and getting a custom Suhr instead.
    Since I can't really force myself to use it when I have the Suhr sitting beside it...

I bought my guitar unseen, I hadn't even seen a Suhr guitar in real life when placing my order. I trusted their impeccable reputation and the guitar fullfilled all my expectations...

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Good luck with your search!

Janne

15. dead of night

dead of night Member

This question is for Janne M. and all others:

I have 3 Suhrs. They are all vintage style guitars, very traditional. However, I am now interested in the Suhr Pro Series S3 and S4, a basswood/maple combination. Suhr himself calls this the "holy grail" of tonewood combinations.

The things is, and I mean this with all due respect, if basswood/ maple is the holy grail, why is it Keith or Clapton or Neil Young or any of the greats don't have a famous basswood guitar? They play ash, or alder, or mahogany, but no basswood.

I'd love to get a beautiful Suhr basswood/maple Pro Series S3 or S4 but am a little hesitant about basswood. The most damning comment is that basswood has a bland tone with no complexity.

What do the forum members think about basswood/maple as a tonewood? I have searched the forum for info about this and there was some.

16. Bad G.A.S.

Bad G.A.S. Senior Member

Whoa, that guitar is a beauty! I am coming from Ibanez but I started out with an SRV Fender Strat....I love the playability and feel of the Ibanez neck but I miss the sweet, rich tone of the Strat....I am definitely not opposed to vintage tone, as long as it still allows me to find my own sound. I have seen a lot of clips of Guthrie Govan, Reb Beach, and Scott Henderson, and I really dig the tones those cats are getting...

17. MartinC

MartinC Member

In that case I would think a Classic with even C slim neck, with HSS would be a good choice.

Guthrie Govan has V60LPs in his Classic and in the middle position of his Standards. He has a DSH+ humbucker in the bridge of his standards (at least when his guitars were built). If you really want sweet rich strat tones, plus the lead OD tones that you're hearing on the clips, all from the one guitar, then I would think V60LP/V60LP/DSH+ would get you close. Only thing is I don't know how much of a volume hike that would give you on the bridge vs the singles. Also depends on what you think defines Strat tones ... for me it's the neck pickup tone ... that's why I'm suggesting a V60LP in the neck, rather than a DSV humbucker (which is what Guthrie Govan's Standards have).

Happy hunting!

18. Lewkk

Lewkk Member

Agree with what Janne.M says.
    I love my s5 it's a great hot rod strat, pos 2 and 4 are the buckers split and the sounds are really usable - I never found much use for the quacky 2 and 4 positions on a single coil strat, the buckers have tons of hair and bite with some gain in the same way a good lespaul does.
    AFAIK Guthrie has been using an ssv and ssh+ in his new modern

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  19. VintageKnob

I love the two HB above, very nice! I could never get used to the switch from neck and middle singles to the HB in the bridge. I've now got V60LPs in all three and I love it.

I've still got the original HB (white SSV) and the Pro1 pick guard. Hmm, should probably post in the emporium. (pm's?) They'll be there soon.

- DS

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  20. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I love mine. It doesn't look like it in this pic, but it is candy apple red. It plays great.

[​IMG]