Suhr Perfect

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by FiestaRed, Oct 22, 2005.

1. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

This just arrived last night. My holy grail of guitars. Fiesta red in color (my favorite) with V60LP pickups. Sounds and plays incredible. The only thing I would change is the tuners, which are Gotoh Klusons. Does anyone know of a direct replacement for these with locking tuners?

I'll post better pics later.

[​IMG]

-Mark

2. RGN

RGN Member

That is killer man. I am still debating whether or not to get the SSC system on mine. :dude

3. dookie

dookie Member

If you could, it is definitely worth it to get the SSC... I'm considering the upgrade on my Suhr...

Beautiful fiddle BTW...

4. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

5. FiestaRed

Guess I'll stick with the stock tuners, then.

Incredible job on the color. Fiesta Red is a color that has so many different shades. This one is the perfect blend of red, orange, and pink.

As for the single coils, I couldn't imagine ones sounding any better. This is my second Suhr classic, and I wanted to make sure that they had the same pickups because they sound so damn good.

-Mark

6. FiestaRed

7. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Yeah, I'm having the V60LP's in the Suhr I'm having built with SSC. I have experience with these pickups as I put a set in my '56 Relic Strat a few years ago, they are much better than the Custom Shop pickups that were original to the guitar. I've tried a lot of other custom wound pickups in my other Strat, but the V60LP's seem to both have a very pretty high end but nice and full sounding with lots of body to the tone. I used to frequently replace pickups in my guitars, I'd put in a new set of whatever was cool for the day, I'd love them, then eventually get tired of them and go for something new in an ongoing cycle, this cycle was broken when I found the V60LPs for my Relic, nothing else interests me since then.

8. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

I just came from trying out the SSC at Tonemerchants. The answer to your debate is this: if you hate the noise, get it. It's no hype -- the system totally works as advertised. If you don't care about the noise, prefer the noise, think the noise has the mojo, etc., then don't bother. But the system is awesome, no joke.

9. Reeek

Reeek Member

That is a beautiful Classic to be sure! Nice :)

10. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

:D

11. tWreCK

tWreCK Member

You can also get the Gotoh height adjustable locking klusons if you still need the locking function but want the look of traditional klusons. Since they're adjustable, you can adjust the heights individually on every string to your preference effectively making them "staggered".

12. tfire

tfire Member

That is truly a classic Classic.

13. FiestaRed

He's right. Fiesta Red is a hard color to capture the exact tint in a photo. The poolside pic is a little more true to the actual color, which is a little more salmon.

I use 11s for strings, so the tuners that are in there now will stay.

Between this one and the Suhr standard I just bought (pic below), not much else in my collection is getting played.

[​IMG]

My first Suhr classic had the even C slim with a 1 11/16 nut width. It was a bit too thin on the outer edges (shoulders) of the neck. These two have the 1 5/8 nut width, and the even C cut here seems to have a bit more shoulders. I was surprised at how comfortable they are, because I am used to more room on the 1 11/16 necks. I think my next one will be a 1 11/16 with a medium C or D shape to beef up the shoulders on the edges of the neck that wide.

I love these guitars! Thanks again John!

-Mark