Suhr Pickup Advice

duaneallen

Silver Supporting Member
So I have a Suhr Custom Classic Strat that I got new in '05, and its the best Strat I've ever owned. I currently have a set of Lollars in there right now, and they of course sound excellent. I am thinking though that I want to go in a different direction with this guitar. I have another vintage style Strat that can cover those tones, and I'm thinking of making my Suhr more of a modern Strat. I am thinking of going with a SSV in the bridge, and going with Suhrs to fill in the other two slots. I used to have V60lps, and although they sounded great, they were a little dark for me. I'd like something that blends well with the SSV, that still has plenty of quack and chime. I'd like the guitar to still be versatile and very stratty, but be able to rock as well. What do you guys recommend? Maybe Husky will chime in. Also, I'm assuming that the guitar doesn't have a hum bucker route in the bridge if it wasn't ordered that way? Thanks for all help.

willyboy

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Pro S1 loaded with an SSV and the ML Standards in middle and neck. The pickups match perfectly and for me they are exactly what you describe, a perfect balance of that strat quack and chime, handle distortion very well, super versatile, definitely more modern sounding but very capable of classic stratty sounds too.

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
I have a day with a Suhr V70 in the neck position of my main strat and I have to say it's pretty damn awesome! Bright but not harsh, very lively and dynamic, a tad "scooped".
I have another one on the way for the bridge position and will add the middle next paycheck. :aok

LReese

The LP's are pretty darned awesome. ML Classic's are a little darker to me, but also work nicely.

Never had the good fortune to try them, but I think the V60 is the next step up in brightness (vs the V60LP) then the V70.

mslugano

Silver Supporting Member
So I have a Suhr Custom Classic Strat that I got new in '05, and its the best Strat I've ever owned. I currently have a set of Lollars in there right now, and they of course sound excellent. I am thinking though that I want to go in a different direction with this guitar. I have another vintage style Strat that can cover those tones, and I'm thinking of making my Suhr more of a modern Strat. I am thinking of going with a SSV in the bridge, and going with Suhrs to fill in the other two slots. I used to have V60lps, and although they sounded great, they were a little dark for me. I'd like something that blends well with the SSV, that still has plenty of quack and chime. I'd like the guitar to still be versatile and very stratty, but be able to rock as well. What do you guys recommend? Maybe Husky will chime in. Also, I'm assuming that the guitar doesn't have a hum bucker route in the bridge if it wasn't ordered that way? Thanks for all help.

My personal favorite is the V60LP but a lot of people swear by the V70 for their ability to cop the Hendrix/SRV thing really well...I'll likely use these in the neck and middle and V60LP in the bridge of my next Classic

Yea, if the guitar came with three singles, it will not be routed for a humbucker in the bridge. If you decide to route it, please either find someone REALLY good or, better yet, send it to us.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom