Suhr pickups packaging foam

CubanB

I got some Suhr HB's a few years ago and the packaging includes a plastic box with two pieces of foam inside where the pickup sits in the middle.

I used the top layer of foam, to cut ir out in the shape of the pickup (a rectangle with a pickup sized hole in the foam) to put inside of the pickup mounting rings to stop the pickups from resonating or vibrating. It works really well but now I'm out of foam and I have a new guitar to do. Does anyone know of anywhere I could get this foam without needing to buy a whole new pickup? It just so happens that the foam is the perfect dimensions/thickness/colour.

It looks like this when finished. Also helps keep dust out.

cutting-foam-around-pickups-10.jpg

theon

Gold Supporting Member
I got some Suhr HB's a few years ago and the packaging includes a plastic box with two pieces of foam inside where the pickup sits in the middle.

I used the top layer of foam, to cut ir out in the shape of the pickup (a rectangle with a pickup sized hole in the foam) to put inside of the pickup mounting rings to stop the pickups from resonating or vibrating. It works really well but now I'm out of foam and I have a new guitar to do. Does anyone know of anywhere I could get this foam without needing to buy a whole new pickup? It just so happens that the foam is the perfect dimensions/thickness/colour.

It looks like this when finished. Also helps keep dust out.

cutting-foam-around-pickups-10.jpg
Why not contact Suhr to request a piece? Google foam packing/sound proofing material. Plenty of online stores sell by the sheet.

CubanB

That'd probably be an unusual request, but probably a good idea. You never know unless you ask.

But it looks like I might have just enough already, I didn't even think to check. I will try this first and see how it goes. I'm glad I made this topic either way, just to mention how useful those Suhr packaging boxes are though. And the foam thing works really well for guitars with mounting rings. It blocks out dust, the pickup doesn't wobble around at all and it's still height adjustable. They should put that on the Suhr pickups box that the foam inside can do 4 pickup cavities. :p

7zXGwf4.jpg

theon

Gold Supporting Member
Great you had enough left over to do another set of humbuckers.
Yes that would have been an odd request. Most small builders are cool guys who will accommodate a client without a second thought.

teofilrocks

Silver Supporting Member
It might not be worth it to ship down under from the US, but I just got a set of Suhr Thornbuckers, and I have the cases with foam inside. Doubt I'll use it.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
I have often stuffed a couple of little hunks of foam around a pup to stabilize it.
I am not that fussy about appearance. Or dust inside the pup cavity.:oops:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom