Suhr pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Marco78, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Marco78

Marco78 Member

I need to some Suhr pickups (DSV, V60LP DSH+), but I not be able to trade some my pickups for Suhr.
    For this reason I have to buy more "commercial" pickups like Seymour Duncan or Di Marzio. What brand is more similar to Suhr pickups?

Thanks a lot

2. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

If you have to buy more "commercial" pickups, then why not just buy Suhr pickups? I might not be understanding your question.

3. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

It depends on the model of pickup, not the brand.

There are a lot of technical things to look at (resistance, winds, magnet type, etc) to make an educated decision on what a pickup might sound like.

Duncan and DiMarzio both probably make a pickup "similar" to anything that Suhr makes, but they're not gonna sound identical to the trained ear. To a lot of folks, they won't be able to tell a difference, though.

4. Marco78

Marco78 Member

I have to swap my pickups (PAF clone for LP guitar) with other pickups for a partcaster in arrive. In Italy, Suhr pickups are rare and no one is interested to swap the pickups. While SD or DiM are more commercial and is more simple to do this swap.

I know that depend on the model, but each brand have a distinctive sound characteristics and so a DiM Paf don't sound like a SD paf clone. I know that in the first year, DiM build a hb for Suhr.

5. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

If you are looking for a place that has Suhr pickups readily available, you might try www.proaudioland.com and ask if they ship internationally. They also carry a few other brands of that kind (Anderson, etc), and I've found them to be very helpful.

You might also try Bare Knuckle Pickups - they aren't cheap, but they are located in the UK. http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/

6. Marco78

Marco78 Member

I need to swap one set that I have at home and so I can't buy from USA or UK. I can only buy SD or DiM.

7. ianb

ianb Member

Marco, I have used lots of SD and DiM pickups, and in my personal opinion, I definitely prefer Suhrs. I use the V60LP and ML pickups on Strats, and I also love the SSV and SSV+ humbuckers, which I prefer above most SD and DiM humbuckers, they have a perfect balance of warmth and clarity, good coil split too.

You might considered contacting Erik v.d.Haar, who imports them into the Benelux. I'm sure he can help you out. He has more Suhr pickups in stock than listed on his site, and sometimes has demos for less $$

http://www.haarguitars.nl/import/in...ntent&view=section&layout=blog&id=5&Itemid=53

8. Marco78

Marco78 Member

Probably I'm not clear, because english isn't my language. I can't pay 2-300 € for pickups because I have some new sets of pickups at my home, and so I HAVE TO SWAP my pickups (+ some euros) to get new pickups. Do you think that Erik V.d.Haar accept this swap????

9. mslugano

mslugano Supporting Member

Ciao Marco. Give Carlo a call at his shop in Milano. http://www.gblguitars.com/sito.htm

He has a ton of stuff and might be able to recommend some better pickups to choose rather than SD or DiM...or maybe he has some Suhr stuff. He has an INCREDIBLE selection of top tier gear. He is also very knowledgeable and helpful.

EDIT: It looks like he carries Lollar, Van Zandt, Joe Barden and Haussel (Haussel pickups are very, very impressive!!). I think any of these could be a improvement over DiM or SD.

10. ianb

ianb Member

I see, now I understand. No, Erik imports stuff, but I doubt he'll trade in your old pickups. You'll have to deal with a more local shop (are you in Italy?) I think.

11. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Just get some Duncans or DiMarzios if that's all you can get. They've worked just fine for countless legendary players through the years.

12. koa

koa Member

One more option for Suhr pickups would be www.lhsound.com They are very knowledgable and will ship internationally.