1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Suhr pix...

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by redgold, Dec 21, 2005.

1. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

...thanks to John et al. for building it, Ed for emailing about it, and Wasyl at Black Creek Guitars for hooking me up. A very unique sound that exceeded my expectations (and they were pretty high).

Ray

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

wow...that's gorgeous!

3. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Ok, now that is one sick looking axe!:AOK
    Congrats man. That one kills me.

RC

4. Drunkagain

Drunkagain Member

Whew, that is a killer looking guitar. Love the shape of the sound hole. Makes it look really sleek. Congrats.

5. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

Wow - that is totally unique and gorgeous! Congrats!

6. cnardone

cnardone Member

That is hot. Man. i want one. What are the specs? is that completely hollow, Semi hollow? How does the 5 way work? any push pulls? What are the pickups? Scale Length?

7. Quinny

Quinny Member

What a fantastic looking guitar, a beautiful flame and a great finish. What's the switching set-up on it? Looks like it'd be a hell of a versatile guitar.

Congrats!

Q.

8. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

That's a beauty. Congrats. Would you mind publishing the specs and/or build order?

9. empty71

empty71 Member

Cool guit-fiddle:AOK Is that the new Wilkinson trem?

10. redgold

Thanks for the comments guys. Truth be told, I was a little worried as I tend to be a play before buying type (at least with guitars). Also, I usually have simpler, more traditional taste (ash tele please), but I love the aesthetic (does anyone have a cooler logo?) and choices available with Suhr. I'm hoping this guitar will take my playing in new directions. I went with chambering on the upper side because I wanted just a hint of air and dynamics for the humbucker tones; less than a thineline tele, more like a Baker RF. It is super versatile and doesn't sound like a tele/strat/gibson, which is a good thing! Here are the specs:

[​IMG]

11. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

12. Srini

Srini Guest

Gorgeous! Mine's 5118 - sure hope its here soon!!

Srini

13. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Dang, that's a cool looking axe!
    Can John build 'em or what!!

Congrats,
    S.
    j

14. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

How does a guitar like that sound?

15. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Cat's Eye Sound Hole :AOK

16. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Even C Huge - very cool! I have a chambered mahogany Classic T with an even C Huge neck. I LOVE that neck carve and am sure yours is awesome!

17. redgold

It's really fantastic. The first thing you notice is the attack at the front of the note. Not a pop like ash or the swell of mahogany, but a biting, woody attack with a lot of top end and upper mids. These pickups are not hot, but the guitar has a lot of presence. A very slight airy quality in the lower mids with the 1/2 chamber. The neck bucker splits nicely-- more round and less bright than the middle single coil on its own. Positions 2 and 4 have some strat hollowness, but not so much quack, which is good for me. The real surprise is the bridge bucker, which is again, not too hot, but strikes a balance between aggressive and sweet--some Beckish tele-gib tones there. String definition is outstanding. The tone control is voiced really well. Fully counter-clockwise, it is soft and mellow with no mud. I usually back it off a quarter turn, and then turn it up when needed to cut through. A very versatile, articulate, and uniquely voiced guitar... I'm already playing some new tunes on it, always the mark of an inspiring instrument.

Wish I was clip enabled, but if you are really interested and want a phone demo, shoot me a PM.

Ray

18. onemind

onemind Member

Hey What's a Tele "Electro" jack?

(S)

19. redgold

It's a cup shaped tele jack that screws right into the body. Lentz uses it as well.

20. Srini

Srini Guest

Very nice! I am a little surprised they gave you the covered DSVs, since I was told that they were no longer being offered...:(

I'm sure the covered SSVs (on mine) will sound great too..:)

Srini