Suhr Pro or Melancon Pro S

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by JohnnyM, Dec 12, 2006.

1. JohnnyM

JohnnyM Member

I don;t own an electric at the moment and
    I have a chance to get a nice Melancon pro Artist
    in seafoam, 3 Singles and trem for $1100 shipped
    The neck is .865 at the first
    kinda big for me but maybe I will get used to it
    though I worry cause I have small hands

or a new Suhr Pro for $1540 shipped

Choices, I hate making these kind of decisions

2. granite

granite Member

I've owned two Mels and feel like they're the best deal out there for a handmade instrument. Gerard Melancon is the nicest guy and easily accessible via the Melancon forum or by calling him. The quality is top notch and the Mels play like a dream.

If your guitar is made of swamp ash, you'll be incredibly surprised at how toneful it is. Gerard gets some of the best swamp ash from being in Louisiana.

I have not played a Suhr. They tend to be out of my price range since they tend to have a higher resale value than Mels. Mainly because they are better known. Suhr and Mels are of the same high quality. You can't go wrong with either. I'd take the lower priced Mel if it was my decision and have no regrets.

3. gitarboy

gitarboy Silver Supporting Member

4. tommc

tommc Member

Can't go wrong with a Melancon. Grab it and use the extra $400 to buy something for wife or signifcant other to distract her from guitar purchase....

5. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Melancon's are truly wonderful guitars...
    I have two of them,& assure you that you wouldn't be dissapointed...

On the other hand,
    I have yet to even see a Suhr guitar live & in person, as well as touch one...
    but they certainly have one of the best reps around...

6. JohnnyM

JohnnyM Member

The melancon is used but mint. It is alder with maple neck.
    7.1 lbs.

7. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

To my ear, FWIW the Mel's sounded more Fendery than the Suhr's I've played but the quality is top notch on both. I wouldn't say either is better but just different. However, I could kick myself for not purchasing a particular Mel Pro Artist I tried out one time. It had a swamp ash body w/rosewood fingerboard and I could tell that Gerard's swamp ash was very special even unplugged. That particular guitar weighed 6.5 lbs and the tone just jumped out of it without the peaky sound that's typical of ash. Gererd's Louisiana swamp ash is very special.

8. Mrgearguy

Mrgearguy Member

I think you can't go wrong either way, but the "backup" from Suhr will probably be around a long time. On the other hand, the Mel will be a more "unique" guitar just by virtue of their low production... as in, fewer people will have one.

9. Sunburst71

Sunburst71 Silver Supporting Member

Is that a +.40 neck carve?

10. JohnnyM

JohnnyM Member

yes, why you ask?

11. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

I own four Mels.
    I just can't resist them.
    They're my favorite bolt-ons of all-time.
    Plus, I may be selling my natural ash Classic Artist (or is it a Pro Artist?).
    I'm just selling because I have two other Mel strat-styles, and I don't have the space in my NYC apartment.
    Feel free to e-mail me.
    hillbillymark AT lycos DOT com

12. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I have relatively small hands myself, and played small necks my whole life until I got a '56 Big V on a Suhr Classic... and you know what, I'll never go back, it takes a bit of getting used to, and you'll have to work on playing fast again, as the extra girth will slow you down a bit, but the benifits are far greater, increased sustain, overall fatter notes and the extra girth gives you something to hang on when bending, I can't really explain it, but the big neck makes you play different, in a very good way.

That said, I've never played a Melancon but always wanted to pick up a Cajun Gentleman. I really don't think you could go wrong with either, just don't let the big Melancon neck scare you off, it could be a blessing and a real treat, plus you'll save some dough.

-TJK*

13. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like his+.40 neck carve. It's very "medium" feeling to me. Not big at all. Mine has it and I love it.

Here's my Mel...

[​IMG]

14. angelo

angelo Member

I have an '82 built '62 RI Fender, so that is the neck carve I am going off of.

In my world, my Mel Pro T with +.40 is a bit thicker. I also have a Mel Custom Artist S with standard and it is a bit thinner.

In my experience, +.20 would be a '62 strat. +.40 is a thicker strat, common Tele (not huge tele). Standard carve is shredder style with still a touch more beef (think thin strat).

15. schmit

schmit Member

Melancon's Standard carve is .825 @ the 1st fret
    +.020 is .845 ....the same as Suhr's Even "C" medium (.840)
    +.040 is .865....a tad smaller that Suhr's "Big" .880
    +.060 is .885....
    I think the Suhr Pro's are like .810 @ the 1st aren't they?...That's pretty thin if you ask me
    Ive also seen +.050's on some of the newer Mels
    I think the 1 11/16ths nut width would make the neck feel bigger w/ any of his carves

Ive got 2 Mel's w/ the 1.650 nut and +.020 and they're perfect for me but I feel I could live with a +.040
    Sadly one may have to go....but Im torn on which one :(