• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Suhr pro S1 - your thoughts?

Gonash

Hey guys,

I have a chance to buy a suhr pro s1 for quite a good price, but never played one so not sure what kind if grounds it can cover!

I'm playing pop-ish John Mayer songs, Keith Urban stuff and some church stuff as well, so kind of Coldplay ;).

Would S1 be a good axe for those styles or should I get something more classic?

FYI I do have a tele and a prs so not trying to cover the ground I already have.

Please let me know what you think!
Thanks! :)

Jonasz

PSLUAN

Silver Supporting Member
Owned one, awesome guitar. It is a Strat, and it does what strats do. To me the only difference between Suhr standard and classic is the feel of the guitar not the sound. Standards are smaller and slinkier than classics.

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
I had an S1 and it was really a terrific guitar. I'm more of a traditional design guy and ended up with a different Suhr, but the guitar you're describing OP, yes it will tackle any of the music you're going to ask of it and it's going to be as different as a Strat generally is from a Tele and PRS.

I can't imagine you being disappointed.

willyboy

Silver Supporting Member
I have an S1 and agree with the previous posters, it'll cover all that ground and more quite easily. To me the S1 truly is a super strat, with excellent versatility, playability, quality, sound, etc.

Main thing to remember is you can buy actual Stratocasters with headstocks that don't look like garbage. They say Fender on them though. YMMV

Main thing to remember is you can buy actual Stratocasters with headstocks that don't look like garbage. They say Fender on them though. YMMV
He's asking about a specific Suhr, not a Fender. Also, it's you who don't like the headstock. I love it & I think Suhrs are drastically more consistent. Enough so that I'd order them online. I'm rolling the dice with a Fender.

He's asking about a specific Suhr, not a Fender. Also, it's you who don't like the headstock. I love it & I think Suhrs are drastically more consistent. Enough so that I'd order them online. I'm rolling the dice with a Fender.
Yea, I feel ya. Fender Custom Shop orders are pretty reliable and probably even cheaper than a Suhr.
I just can't see anything but a Fender copy when I see these. Which is what they are essentially.

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
Yea, I feel ya. Fender Custom Shop orders are pretty reliable and probably even cheaper than a Suhr.
I just can't see anything but a Fender copy when I see these. Which is what they are essentially.
Yes, they're guitars based on Fender's designs. I own a number of Fenders and one Suhr......I dig them all.

Ordering a Fender Custom Shop guitar (or custom Suhr) is not what the OP is asking about. He's talking about a good price he can get a specific Suhr for.

If you don't have experience with the model of guitar he's looking at, then you're adding nothing to the conversation. You're just trashing the Suhr headstock again....you've been here less than a week (at least under your current name). You're going to want to pace yourself.

Unless a Strat was made during the time Leo owned the company or ones made of the leftovers, it's a copy. & FYI, John Suhr used to run the FCS. He left to build a better guitar at drastic lower numbers & with a hugely higher attention to detail. The only reason he's even competing with Fender is the name & that headstock. His guitars are superior to a US Made Fender.

Gonash

For the price (2k aud) I'd never get a custom shop strat, and I do like the headstock. If I'm willing to consider buying the guitar obviously I don't mind it.

Thanks to those who brought some facts and reliable opinions to the conversation! Appreciated!

It does make me more willing to give it a go!

Last edited:

SilentScorp

Silver Supporting Member
[QUOTE="rhinocaster, post: 23254385,

If you don't have experience with the model of guitar he's looking at, then you're adding nothing to the conversation. You're just trashing the Suhr headstock again....you've been here less than a week (at least under your current name). You're going to want to pace yourself.[/QUOTE]

Wow. Hahahahaha

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
Suhr makes beautiful and well-built guitars. How often do you see the CEO of a company coming on here regularly to help trouble shoot with end users. Pretty amazing customer service if you ask me and a rarity these days. John Suhr should be commended for his hard work and building great products!

That being said, the market is saturated with them as well. One of the distributors up here stopped carrying them a few years back because of the number of used models out there.

If you have not tried one, I would highly suggest you make some kind of effort to at least test one out first. I was very seriously considering getting one of them until I tried them up at one of our retailers up here who had a few in stock. Again, it is something you have to like and not everyone likes the same things. Some of the statements here about the guitars being light years above another brand are completely ridiculous.

Best of luck with your choice and enjoy it when you get it! Either way, I don't think you could go wrong with the Suhr.

Last edited:
...you've been here less than a week (at least under your current name). You're going to want to pace yourself.
Yea, you're right. My bad. I just find it hard to hold my tongue sometimes.
I've actually been on here for years (mostly as a lurker), but I lost access to the email associated. I was Skiptracer

2HBStrat

I've actually been on here for years (mostly as a lurker), but I lost access to the email associated. I was Skiptracer
Naw, man, don't let 'em hold you down, and don't give up so easily, either, especially when you're right, and you are........

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
Cool man....

Lots of us here really enjoy Fender and you'll find that there are plenty of times available here to let others know more of the reality of Fender (that they really do know how to make pretty terrific guitars). There's a time a place for everything.

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
Naw, man, don't let 'em hold you down, and don't give up so easily, either, especially when you're right, and you are........
No, just no.

The OP has questions about a Suhr....telling him he should just buy a Fender isn't helping or appropriate. It's no more appropriate when people looking at a Fender are told to buy a "quality" guitar like a G&L or Suhr either. Clearly Postcards understands that.

2HBStrat

No, just no.

The OP has questions about a Suhr....telling him he should just buy a Fender isn't helping or appropriate. It's no more appropriate when people looking at a Fender are told to buy a "quality" guitar like a G&L or Suhr either. Clearly Postcards understands that.
Two things: one, he was right that Suhrs, at least MOST of them, are copies of Fenders, and two, you start a thread but you can't control where it goes. He stayed on subject, didn't badmouth anyone, and stated his opinion.......I don't see the harm here......

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
Two things: one, he was right that Suhrs, at least MOST of them, are copies of Fenders, and two, you start a thread but you can't control where it goes. He stayed on subject, didn't badmouth anyone, and stated his opinion.......I don't see the harm here......
No, it wasn't on subject....the OP didn't ask how a Suhr compares to a Fender. He didn't ask about what we thought about the Suhr headstock. The OP wished to know if a specific Suhr would cover certain sonic ground. If you can't answer that question (and you're not even trying to answer that question), you have nothing to offer.

When people come into threads to share opinions that have absolutely nothing to do with the subject of the thread they're just adding to the noise level on TGP. There really are plenty of legitimate opportunities to share what any of us think about gear here without feeling the need to inject our feelings about an unrelated item into any thread we come across.

2HBStrat

No, it wasn't on subject....the OP didn't ask how a Suhr compares to a Fender. He didn't ask about what we thought about the Suhr headstock. The OP wished to know if a specific Suhr would cover certain sonic ground. If you can't answer that question (and you're not even trying to answer that question), you have nothing to offer.

When people come into threads to share opinions that have absolutely nothing to do with the subject of the thread they're just adding to the noise level on TGP. There really are plenty of legitimate opportunities to share what any of us think about gear here without feeling the need to inject our feelings about an unrelated item into any thread we come across.
Yeah, maybe but that stuff happens all the time. it's happened on my threads a bunch. I was reading a thread in which the OP wanted a hotter Strat bridge pickup, but stated that he didn't want to go full size humbucker, so guess what?......one of the early posts suggested getting a full size humbucker.....it's gonna happen.......

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom