Suhr Pro Series S3 question

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by popsongsmith, Jan 25, 2008.

1. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

Anybody have any thoughts on the most recent addition to Suhr's pro series lineup? This is the one with the basswood body and maple top.

Since this is a relatively unusual wood combination, I was curious if anyone had a point of comparison for reference. Is is brighter, darker, thicker, punchier, etc. relative to the tried-and-true alder, ash and mahogany?

2. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Its not a particularly unusual combo in the 'shredder/ibanez' type camp, and I believe Mr Suhr says its his favourite combo for high gain :AOK

3. Alpedra

Alpedra Member

Basswood with a maple top sounds great. Not only for high gain, but ..yes.. it excels when overdriven...... It has a warm tone but with a bit more scooped mids than Mahogany/maple top.

The (american) Basswood used by builders like Suhr or Tom Anderson is quite different from the usual asian basswood used on cheap guitars like low end Ibanez...

4. Supasso

Supasso Member

Basswood sounds pretty neutral to my ears. The maple top helps expand the top end. Overall it's very full sounding with no apparent hump or scoop in the mid. Very versatile, I like it.

5. Ed-Venture

Ed-Venture Member

Basswood can yield good low-end response, dynamics, and definition. You get the added bite with the maple cap. Combine that with a well made guitar like Suhr, and you can't go wrong.

6. popsongsmith

Thanks y'all for the feedback. These seem like incredible guitars for the $$, particularly on the second-hand market.

7. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

I just ordered one of these suckas today....I'll elt ya know what I think when I get it.

8. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

Just got mine and letting everyone know this is the best boutique bang for the buck guitar out there!!! Looks great plays incredible and sounds even better...heck even the trem stays in tune with fairly heavy use.

9. popsongsmith

hey G-man,

how does that neck feel? and why do you suppose he puts a slim neck on the pro-series guitars? wouldn't a medium profile make more sense?

10. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

The neck feels real good. It needs to be broken in but I'm prepared to do that the old fashioned way..5 sets a night 2-3 times a week.

I wouldn't say the neck is too thin..even C slim is the way it is described...
    I could stand for it to be a little rounder but I'm not gonna nitpick...this guitar slays right out of the box..love the pickups..fretwork is flawless...everything on it is solid and the trem stays in tune better than any non floyd guitar I have owned.
    I'm gonna purchase another one when I have the cash...that's how much I like it. Pefrect grab and go gig guitar.