Suhr Pro Series

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by onemind, Feb 2, 2006.

1. onemind

onemind Member

I stumbled across a "pro series" model at the indoor storm website, discounted price is less than 1600. Obviously it's not a custom guitar, but does anyone know if there are any significant corners cut, or compromises made on these? [​IMG]

2. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

It's my understanding that the Pro Series guitars are of the same quality as other Suhr guitars. The difference is there are few options. So rather than each guitar being a custom order, they are all very similar and can be made for a lower cost.

3. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

It sounds as if Suhr has put together a guitar that is extremely competitive at the $1600 street price level...

4. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Goodbye resale value for previously purchased Suhr's :(

Not knocking their decision to make these, It will put Suhr guitars in the hands of more players...

RC

5. onemind

onemind Member

They are designated as pro series on the back of the headstock, so perhaps the custom guitars will retain their value. Though if the quality turns out to be comparable, not much difference in ordering the pro series or a custom that someone else spec'd
    [​IMG]

6. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

well, yes, there is THAT spect of it. Especially if the Pro Series is indeed equal quality to the Custom pieces.... I suppose the used Pro Series pieces might be selling in $1000 range

7. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I think it's great that someone is making a guitar of this caliber at a similar price to the higher end production Fenders (like the American Vintage and Signaturs models). If I needed a good guitar that would cover a lot of ground for gigs I'd be all over one of the Suhr Pro series.

I don't really see them hurting the sales of the used custom order guitars because there are always going to be players who want certain specs (like my favorite 56 Big V neck) and the only option other than finding a used one will be to pay the $2100+ a custom order guitar costs.

8. Felipe

Felipe Member

I'm not sure about that, for the following reasons (I hope Ed Yoon reads this): Usually, the Stds are spec'd in fancier outfits (highly figured tops, usually no pickguards), while the Classics are basically strats.
    The new Pro Series has the slimmer Std body, and the basic Suhr specs.
    So, I understand that, unless they make a Pro Classic, the Pro won't affect the resale much, cause if you want a Strat, only a Classic will do.
    If you want a great all around tool, the Pro is definitely one great option.

So Suhr, please don't make a Pro Classic! ;)

9. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

G&L smokes the production Fenders (imho) at a lower pricepoint. But yeah, in my book any strong competition for Fender is a very good thing...

10. landru64

landru64 Member

i played one at namm. veeerrrry niiiiiiice. everything john does is great.

11. nik

nik Member

Does anyone know what the available Pro Series models are and what the specs are for these guitars, e.g. neck shape, nut width, etc.?

12. John C

John C Supporting Member

Hopefully Ed Yoon will pop in and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Pro Series are being partially built by new employees who are sort of "apprenticing" with John and the other 3 "master builders" (no disrespect to John's senior builders, I just can't remember their names offhand :jo ). These "apprentices" are doing all the woodwork, finish, pickguard assembly, etc., but one of the master builders does the final assembly and set-up.

These are kind of designed to both bring Suhr to a larger market and to grow in-house talent for the custom guitars, as I believe all 3 of Jon's senior builders were either Fender CS Master Builders or were ready to be elevated to that level with Fender before they left to join John.

13. onemind

onemind Member

Specs from the one on Indoor Storms site...

Model: Standard PRO Series
    Body Wood: Alder
    Neck Wood: Maple w/ Indian Rosewood - NO TINT
    Neck Back Shape: 60's C Vintage Standard .810-.930
    Radius: 10-14"
    Nut: Tusq
    Frets: Heavy
    Bridge: Gotoh VG300
    Nut Width: 1.650"
    Hardware: Chrome
    Gears: Sperzel Locking
    Pickguard: White/Black/White
    Electronics: Volume, Tone, 5 Way
    Input Jack: Side
    Knobs: Plastic White
    Neck Pickup: JST V-60 LP
    Neck Pickup: JST V-60 LP
    Bridge Pickup: JST DSH Humbucker
    Case: Guitar-Custom Hardshell Form-Fit Case
    Strings: .010-.046

14. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

Gee that's too bad. The classic is what I'm interested in. Since i'm not yet a Suhr owner I hope they do make one! :p Until then my eyes remain focused on used classics, and possibly some of the used shredder machines. That is until I have the scratch to custom order ;)

15. John C

John C Supporting Member

Right now only the alder body/rosewood fingerboard model is available, but according to a pre-NAMM post by Ed Y. on the Suhr board they are considering making an ash body/maple fingerboard version with translucent colors as an option.

They are also working on a 24-fret version for "the second half of the year" with these specs:

Basswood or Alder body
    Maple neck with Indian Rosewood board
    Even C Slim .800-.880
    10-14" radius
    1.65" nut width
    Jumbo frets
    Chrome hardware
    Sperzel locking tuners
    Wilkinson VG-300 bridge
    No pickguard, rear-routed
    1 Vol, 1 Tone, 5-way switch
    SSH+ and SSV humbucker pickups
    Colors: Not yet determined - standard solid and a few metallic colors
    Laser-engraved logo on headstock
    A model with Floyd is a possibility
    Buzz Feiten Tuning System

16. Felipe

Felipe Member

My bad! When I said about an eventual Pro Classic, I meant to protect Classic owners on the resale value, but I understand that if Suhr goes for a guitar like this, it's not these owners (like me) that should worry.

Fender should...

17. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Frankly, I don't understand this aspect of the scenario even though I've directly asked Ed about this on a different thread. I don't see how the apprentices can build a guitar with equal quality as the Master-Builders, and if they can, then what does that say about the quality of the Master-Builder's work? You cannot have it both ways... Perhaps I'm not understanding something here

18. Felipe

Felipe Member

I understand that John's master guys make a difference, but consider that a lot of construction aspects of John's work are bonded to tech stuff, such as CNC and Plek machine.

When aiming for perfect neck profiles and custom finishes, you get a huge advantage from skilled experienced luthiers, but I understand that these "new guys" will have at least some background experience to get the job.

Let's wait for Ed's words!

19. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Yes I am certain that the "apprentices" will be skilled in their own right, and not just anybody off the street...

That said, for me as a potential buyer (and someone who has bought both new and used Suhr Guitars before), when I hear that the new budget Pro Series will be built in part by apprentices but will be just as good as the Custom guitars, in my mind that doesn't speak highly for the Custom Suhr guitars. That is just my perspective.

20. Legend

Legend Member

Consider this. These guitars have very limited specs, so there is more of a "routine" with building these guitars. Building 100 of the same guitar is not going to require the extreme skill that is required for 100 custom guitars that are each different and unique. These guitars are less "fancy" and should be able to be built to a continually high standard since they should be "easier" to build.