suhr pro series

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by PatB, Jul 14, 2006.

1. PatB

PatB Member

anyone tried the new suhr pro series?im thinking bout gettin one like that or a parker fly..
    opinions?

anyone knows how much the suhr weighs?
    regards
    pat

2. PFCG

PFCG Member

i have a fly and is simply amasing, you can get the strat sounds with the new coil tap. I say get the fly mojo or mojo flametop, because the duncans are awesome! but a suhr is might nice, all up to you, GET BOTH! i sure am!

3. PatB

PatB Member

hi again n tnx for the answer.I currently play a -97 nitefly as my main guitar, and really had my mind set on upgrading to the fly, but ive read tons of bad reviews on the newly made parker(the ones made after wasburn took over) n those have made me hesitate, since i cant try one ot before i buy one

4. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Suhr Pro Series is as good as it gets. Plays like a Suhr Standard... the only difference is that you don't have a lot of options. It's a Suhr Standard thru and thru, IMO. And for the price... you can't beat it.

5. blues revenge

blues revenge Supporting Member

I have 2 Suhrs. Actually I thought that my Suhr strat was the greatest guitar in the world till I played a D'Pergo.

Yes its nice, plays well, the V-60s are awesome pickups, but the tone dies out compared to a D'Pergo and I think John is just getting a little too caried away with getting so well known and less concerned with making really great guitars.:cool:

6. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

But where can you get them? I posted a thread a long time ago lamenting the fact that I don't see them anywhere (at the time there appeared to be 2 for sale in the entire country) and I still don't see them. I thought these were supposed to be sort of mass produced?

7. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Hi, I have had a parker deluxe, classic and artist. Great players, great sounding guitars. I had the older models. I sold them all because the finish scratches up by just looking at them. They are not cheap and no matter how anal you are with them you scatch the finish. I keot mine pretty good so I could sell them but was always nervous playing them. The nitefly is a bit sturdier. I have a p-36 ( cheap model now and its fine but I paid $300 for it) Also at the time customer service was horrible. Thats when I turned to Andersons and never looked back

8. MikeP

MikeP Member

Hi,
    I have heard about these a few times now. Can you describe a bit more about why you like the D'Pergo?
    I looked at their site & they do look good.
    What bridge is that he is using? I see in the pics a Classic & a vintage classic. Both say RF vintage trem but I see they are different? Also are the pups his own? How do they sound.
    Thanks for any info !
    PS: Which model do you have?

9. blues revenge

I actually have a Vintage Classic and a friend of mine ordered a Studio Softop. Both are completely different.
    1st the Vintage Classic: Its made like an old strat with a D shaped neck if you will. It's slightly asymetrical as it would be if you had an old guitar and it got played for 50 years. The neck wood is 400 year old maple and on mine, the body is Alder. He makes everything himself. The bridge, the tuners, the bridge saddles, he even mills his own screws that go in the bridge saddles because he wasnt happy with the tone that any stock screw would give you. The nut is bone. The guitar rings like a piano even when it is unplugged. Another point is that the neck has a radius on it like the old necks, slightly rounded so it conforms to the shape of your hand. Also it has specially wound low output pickups that sound like a really old guitar. I compared it to my '56 strat and the tone is very similar except that the D'Pergo plays better. Also about the pickups: He ages the wire for I think he said 4 years and then Cryogenically treats it (that means that the wire is trreated so it doesn't lose its magnetic field after a while) and the tone will stay consistent.
    The vintage tuners are in the style of the old Fender tuners and the way the guitar is set up, you can use the whammy without locking tuners and it will stay in tune really well. Occassionally you will have to tune after some super wanking, but that even happens with a Floyd.

The studio softop is like a strat but it has a humbucking in the bridge position which he collaborated with Linsey Fralin on, and it has a 2 stage active mid boost that you can dial in, if you need it.
    So, it has a master tone on the 3rd knob and the second knob has a pull out to activate a different frequency boost then when it is down and if you turn it all the way down, it is inactive and gets bypassed. I love it, I think it is a brilliant idea. The single coils in this guitar are also a little hotter and more modern sounding than in the Vintage Classic.
    It has locking Sperzel tuners as well.
    He has developed his own finishes which are incredible by the way also. Everything this guy does is absolutely meticulous and he will not send out a guitar that does not measure up to his personal standards.
    I have had many conversations with Stefan, the owner of D'Pergo guitars, and he is a very genuine caring person who puts himself into every single guitar that is made. They are like his children as he can remember probably every guitar he has ever put together.
    I can't wait to get my next one! Then the Suhr will be on Ebay:)

10. MikeP

MikeP Member

Thanks lot of good info there.

11. journo

journo Member

Hi Pat,

I reviewed the Suhr Pro for FUZZ magazine and I really liked it. As a matter of fact if the review hadn't already been sold I would have bought it. As it is now I have a few gigs and clinics coming up and I'm very much trying to find one.

Cheers,

Mats N

12. MikeP

MikeP Member

Tis very true :)

Hi John how ya been? Still riding?

For the record I build or have built/assembled quite a few gits. I am a carpenter/contractor by trade so am not too shabby but.... Having also owned some of the top end gits I must say the Suhr really stood out.
    I dont want to get into it as I know everyone has their favorite but after it was all said & done the Suhr was on another level workmanship wise.
    I even sent John a message back when & told him why.
    I remember he said he always wondered why others get away with things that he would be crucified for ;)

True :horse

Anyway just wanted to put that in. I am always curious about the better guitars & like I said tried many. Fender top end, Tyler, Grosh, Suhr & the workmanship is truely a cut above & consistent across the board on the Suhrs.

Not to say the others were bad just the Suhr is that bit better in workmanship.

13. ccteleman

ccteleman Member

Based on what? The Suhr rocked your world until you found the D'Pergo and that some how makes Suhr no longer interested in putting out quality?

14. blues revenge

Yeah, youre probably right-I retract the second part of my sentence as I have no basis for knowing how well known John wants to be. There is probably way more hype from people that just like his stuff cause it IS good.
    Yes Suhrs are great guitars, like I said, as a matter of fact I am keeping one of them, I just prefer the D'Pergo in the Vintage strat model.

And John, thanks for taking interest in responding as well.
    besides, there's room out there for lots of great builders and great guitars...

15. blues revenge

Thanks! I may take you up on that, and I am really glad to hear that you still oversee everything.
    Best Regards:AOK

16. smalahove

smalahove Member

Kudos! :D

Makes me so much more happier knowing my new Suhr standard will be checked by the Man himself!

17. suttree

suttree Member

let me be the first to say, that if you ever need to hire someone to do that arduous job for you, i'm available... and i'll work for a very reasonable wage. :D

18. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

For me, the Suhr Classic guitars are the best out there! I now have a Suhr Classic and Classic T, and I don't see anyone else in the market that can produce comparable quality guitars for this price.

19. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

John has always been very supportive of me and my work...so I have been told...but the following really has nothing to do with that at all.

You see, I am a fan of John's work, and I really admire his innovative use of the most modern technology, and he always seems to have an insatiable curiosity about new CNC software, finishing systems, and the like.

The bottom line is this...the Suhr guitars that I have played have been fabulous. I would encourage anyone who is interested in a guitar of that style to take a good long look at John's work.

I am not writing this in order to critisize the particular post that has created conversation, rather, I am simply taking the opportunity to champion the man's work.
    Thanks for reading!
    Terry

20. John Page

John Page Member

It's not like John needs another vote of confidence in either himself or his guitars, but I felt a need to chime in. John and his crew make one of the finest guitars in the world. He is also one of the most "down-to-earth" people I know. He was very well known when we first started working together in the early/mid nineties, and the increasing awareness of his name is directly related to the reputation of the sound and craftsmanship of his truly fine instruments. He is also one of the least selfish people I know when it comes to sharing his vast knowledge of materials and building.
    As far as his crew, well they are some of the finest builders I've had the honor to work with in the past as well. Lots of my best guys from the old days at the Fender Custom Shop. Not the least of which is Michael Ponce, an excellent Master Builder from the old CS... who also just happens to be my nephew... so don't be messin' with my blood! (he says smiling)
    Hey Johnny... I've got your back!