• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Suhr PT100 Footswitch issue. Can you help?

sleshnyc

Silver Supporting Member
So the footswitch is set up so that the channel switches when you RELEASE the switch, rather than when you step on it like everyone else. This is AWFUL for playing live, as I need to change right on the down beat. having to walk over early and hold it down and then release will not work. Anyone know if a new footswitch could be built to change the channels on the down? Why would they do this? It's so awkward.

SgtThump

Silver Supporting Member
Not what you want to hear, but it just requires changing the way you do it. It is awkward though, i agree.

sleshnyc

Silver Supporting Member
what's more bizarre is that the boost switch is on the down, not the up.

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
what's more bizarre is that the boost switch is on the down, not the up.
The physical switch on the amp?

The reason it works on the release has to do with it sensing if you hold it down to activate programming modes. A lot of pedals activate on release instead of initial contact these days- Strymon and Disaster Area amps come to mind as well, and I think Eventide as well although my brain is fuzzy on that one.

Probably not the solution you want, but I use a midi controller to control my PT100 so it's not an issue for me.

Edit: I can also step and release fast enough that it isn't a problem for me.

Husky

So the footswitch is set up so that the channel switches when you RELEASE the switch, rather than when you step on it like everyone else. This is AWFUL for playing live, as I need to change right on the down beat. having to walk over early and hold it down and then release will not work. Anyone know if a new footswitch could be built to change the channels on the down? Why would they do this? It's so awkward.
The footswitch is programmable when you hold down the button so you can store the boost in to any location. Many many pedals work this way too. Juts push and release quickly. If it really bugs you you can use any midi switcher instead.

sleshnyc

Silver Supporting Member
The physical switch on the amp?

The reason it works on the release has to do with it sensing if you hold it down to activate programming modes. A lot of pedals activate on release instead of initial contact these days- Strymon and Disaster Area amps come to mind as well, and I think Eventide as well although my brain is fuzzy on that one.

Probably not the solution you want, but I use a midi controller to control my PT100 so it's not an issue for me.

Edit: I can also step and release fast enough that it isn't a problem for me.
what midi controler do you use? i'm looking for a simple 4 button controller. one for each channel and the boost.

sleshnyc

Silver Supporting Member
You can program the boost in to a preset
thanks john. I know. that's not the problem. the problem for me is that having the channel switch on release isn't at all intuitive and makes the timing difficult when i'm playing live, which is what this is for. Is there a simple 4 button midi footswitch i can use to access the channels and boost that will give me switching on the down, rather than release? btw, the amp sounds incredible.

Husky

thanks john. I know. that's not the problem. the problem for me is that having the channel switch on release isn't at all intuitive and makes the timing difficult when i'm playing live, which is what this is for. Is there a simple 4 button midi footswitch i can use to access the channels and boost that will give me switching on the down, rather than release? btw, the amp sounds incredible.
I'm sure there is but maybe you want to make sure there are not other features you might need in conjuction? Maybe some pedals in front or control of stuff in the loop ? I really like the boss
https://www.boss.info/us/products/es-5/

thiscalltoarms

The Morning Star midi controller has six buttons. I'd probably set them up as ch1, ch2, ch2 boosted, ch3, ch3 boosted, and a boost on/off switch. Or you could do the three channels and the three boosted channels. I never use the clean channel with the boost so that'd be a waste of a foot switch for me.

Note- John Suhr (@Husky ) is definitely correct that the Boss ES5 or Musicom Labs 62M or MkIV would all be more comprehensive controllers if you wanted to midi-fy your whole rig. I use a combination of Musicom Lab and Disaster Area Amps controllers- but I'm interested in the Morning Star and hear good things, if all you want it to do is midi and the price is lower than most of the comprehensive systems.

sleshnyc

Silver Supporting Member
The Morning Star midi controller has six buttons. I'd probably set them up as ch1, ch2, ch2 boosted, ch3, ch3 boosted, and a boost on/off switch. Or you could do the three channels and the three boosted channels. I never use the clean channel with the boost so that'd be a waste of a foot switch for me.

Note- John Suhr (@Husky ) is definitely correct that the Boss ES5 or Musicom Labs 62M or MkIV would all be more comprehensive controllers if you wanted to midi-fy your whole rig. I use a combination of Musicom Lab and Disaster Area Amps controllers- but I'm interested in the Morning Star and hear good things, if all you want it to do is midi and the price is lower than most of the comprehensive systems.
Thank you very much for your response. I run a pretty simple rig, pretty much a guitar into amp guy. I'd just want 4 buttons, so I will look into these options.

thiscalltoarms

Thank you very much for your response. I run a pretty simple rig, pretty much a guitar into amp guy. I'd just want 4 buttons, so I will look into these options.
I don't know that there will be a four button programmable midi switcher that sends on tap rather than release. I can't think of anything that hits your exact spec. The other big inconvenience with any switch except the Suhr one is that you'll need a separate power supply for the switch instead of it receiving amp power.

Here's the one I recommended:

http://www.morningstarfx.com/

$229 for a configurable midi controller is fairly cheap. There might be a Disaster Area amps solution- but most of those trigger on release.

sleshnyc

Silver Supporting Member
I don't know that there will be a four button programmable midi switcher that sends on tap rather than release. I can't think of anything that hits your exact spec. The other big inconvenience with any switch except the Suhr one is that you'll need a separate power supply for the switch instead of it receiving amp power.

Here's the one I recommended:

http://www.morningstarfx.com/

$229 for a configurable midi controller is fairly cheap. There might be a Disaster Area amps solution- but most of those trigger on release.

I wonder if this will do the trick
http://www.ebay.com/itm/322370538494?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&fromMakeTrack=true

thiscalltoarms

alternatiwe

Hi folks,

I have a very similar question, so I try to re-use the same thread. I hope its not a problem :)
I recently bought a PT 100 amp, and I already have an morningstar mc 6. It handles the amp very well, not an issue. However I was hoping to keep the original footswitch in charge as well. I would like to use the MC 6 capatbilities for songs which are already written, and fine tuned riff-to-riff switching. However besides that I would like to use the original footswitch during jams, or when searching for the proper sounds which would be stored to a given bank/preset.
I thought it would work if I plug the footswitch to the mc6 and use it with MIDI-through, but it doesn’t work.. maybe due to lack of power. (surprisingly the pt 100 footswitch doesn’t use the stnadard MIDI phantom power, but it has some extra wires with a special cable, so it works if it wired together with the amp).
How could I set them up side by side at the same time?

Husky

Really, an entirely different thread. But yes the foot switch needs power it’s the same maybe plug just has two extra pins So you’ll need to get a breakout cable which are available. If you go this direction contact us and we will figure out what power supply u need

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...V9h-tBh309gJ3EAAYASAAEgLBfPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
and supply it power somehow
Hi folks,

I have a very similar question, so I try to re-use the same thread. I hope its not a problem :)
I recently bought a PT 100 amp, and I already have an morningstar mc 6. It handles the amp very well, not an issue. However I was hoping to keep the original footswitch in charge as well. I would like to use the MC 6 capatbilities for songs which are already written, and fine tuned riff-to-riff switching. However besides that I would like to use the original footswitch during jams, or when searching for the proper sounds which would be stored to a given bank/preset.
I thought it would work if I plug the footswitch to the mc6 and use it with MIDI-through, but it doesn’t work.. maybe due to lack of power. (surprisingly the pt 100 footswitch doesn’t use the stnadard MIDI phantom power, but it has some extra wires with a special cable, so it works if it wired together with the amp).
How could I set them up side by side at the same time?

Last edited:

alternatiwe

Really, an entirely different thread. But yes the foot switch needs power it’s the same maybe plug just has two extra pins So you’ll need to get a breakout cable which are available. If you go this direction contact us and we will figure out what power supply u need

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RDMH900--rocktron-rdmh900-5-to-7-pin-midi-cable-30-foot?gclsrc=aw.ds&&mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3319245783&rkg_id=0&campaigntype=dsa&campaign=aaDSA&adgroup=1233692296:DSA - Accessories&placement=google&adpos=1t1&creative=388216097512&device=m&matchtype=b&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx6vO8s265gIV9h-tBh309gJ3EAAYASAAEgLBfPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
and supply it power somehow
Thank you very much John!
Sorry about stealing the thread (I’m mostly a read-only user here)
I’ll write a mail about the powering question soon.
Thanks again!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom