Suhr PT100 initial review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dankayaker, Apr 7, 2011.

1. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

Not to be too dramatic but my search is over. This amp produces the tones I loved years ago . . .when I was falling in love with the guitar (Gary Moores heavy rock stuff . . . .Richie Blackmore . . . . Schenker . . . . . Michael Lee Firkins . . etc) . . . .and that's really just part of what the amp will do. I claim very little experience with Marshall amps as I've mostly owned booteek Fendery or Voxish amps. . . . .but this sounds like a killer Marshall to me. I feel sorry for our other guitarist (who just got a new Orange amp) this sunday . . . . .he will be dominated . . . in a loving sort of way.

The feedback knob really works great for softening up the tones or making them cut . . . . I like them a bit softer but the option is great to have. More gain than anyone playing live could possibly need IMO . . . . adding a touch of the Plimsoul up front to channel 2 (with gain at half) compresses the feel and you get pretty liquidy . . . .adding channel 3 will do this too but there are some differences.

The clean channel . . . . .this was so important to me . . . .and I feel that the PT100 really delievers gorgeous Fendery tones . . . . .I do not feel they lack depth . . . .just wonderful.

I have not tried the loop but I intend on getting a nice ambient delay for a little slapback.

I'm running the head through a MojoTone OS 1x12 semi openback cab with a Scumback H75 and it sounds great . . . .a buddy tells me I need to try a EV12-Classic . . .so I'll hunt one of those down for another cab.

I've had so many booteek amps and have been on the gear merry -go-round for years now . . . . .I want to get off and this amp is going to help me do just that. I'll post a more indepth review after a week so I can gig it.

Special thanks to Greg and Danny at Rocket Music for taking care of me.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  2. dankayaker

OK . . . .played the PT100 for a couple more hours today . . . .used a TimeFactor in the loop . . .it worked well. I guess mine has the plain-jane loop with a return knob and a "in active" button. We plugged it into a Xits 2x12 and wow did the tone change .. . . sweeter cleans . . . a bit more emphasis on the mids (maybe more of the total midrange) which again came across as a sweeter tone . . .yet still punchy. I'll most certainly be trying a friends recommened EV 12 classic as well as a Scumback M75 Greenback type cab at church in an ISO box). I've read a few comments about a high-end fizz to the notes on this amp . . . .I think there may be a little although maybe sizzle may be a better word. . . . .the weird thing was that when I switched from the Mojo/Scumback H75 1x12 to the Xits 2x12 (Gold & something else) this sizzle was gone almost completely. Either way . ..the sizzle I would imagine is a Marshalleque characteristic and I love the tone of this amp. I'm wondering if the ap is super honest also and maybe a little of that is low action on SS frets. . . .more to come.

3. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

Here is the draw back about using an M 1x12. I think the cleans will suffer. Maybe the J75 might be the most fitting speaker to give you the balance on the highs and not as cutting a tone on the OD side. The EVL will sound really nice with that amp too.

4. dankayaker

Played the PT100 in two services and a rehearsal today . . . . .love it even more. I'm still dialing it in but I do love the lead tones I'm getting. . . .it really does fit in a mix nicely and is quite the contrast to our other guitarists Orange TH30 (nice amp BTW). I like warm . . . . vocal type tones and this amp does that well. I really want to try a TS style pedal up front for a little extra mid emphasis. I used a TimeFactor and I liked it pretty well but I'm thinking there may be too much stuff in that unit that I'll never use.

5. peterdjp

peterdjp Member

I had a SH OD 100. Great amps.

6. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

Try swapping preamp tubes this helped me alot as one tube was kinda bad and I didnt realize. I also put WGS ET 65 in my 4x12 for this.

V1 One triode is the First gain stage for Ch1 and the other is for Ch2
    V2 Channel 1 additional stages
    V3 One triode is an additional gain stage for Channel 2 and the other triode is for the CH 2 boost
    V4 Channel 2 additional stage and a cathode follower stage to tone stack on Channel 2.
    V5 Effects loop
    V6 Phase inverter

I love the amp with pres and womp off, feedback around 2-4 so I am in the softer feel camp, controls at noon bass sometimes lower to 4, Gain at 5-6 on both channels volume around 4 and use effects return as a mv and turn it down a tad.

These amps need the bright switched engaged, clean is just too blanketed with out the bright. The bright switch off on the lead channel can sound a tad dull. So bright switches on!!!

7. dankayaker

I haven't even played with the Presence control . . . . being on the back makes it "out of site, out of mind". I'll mess with it. I also found (at least with humbuckers) the bright switch was best engaged.

8. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Ya guys I basically have the brights on all the time. Sometimes on ch2 with single coils, I'd have it off (I did this when playing with Don Henley for a bit smoother tone without as much cut). It's a very versatile amp!

9. dankayaker

HI Pete . . .Is the bright switch operating on both channel 1 & 2 ? Or maybe I overlooked a bright switch for each channel ?

10. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

Both channels have a bright switch

11. dankayaker

Hmmm . . . .I must be overlooking the second one . . .I'll check when I get home.

12. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

You should get it autographed by Pete since it's a Sig model - if I had one I would ask for an autograph or something - it would be cool!

13. dankayaker

PSA: If you are looking for an amp that can do great Fender cleans, unreal warm crunch . . . .all the way up through high-gain Marshall . . . . I can't imagine a finer amp. Channel 2: Level 4 or 5 with gain around 3 (pretty low) is so tactile with great depth to the crunch. I'm really happy.

14. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

i'd love to get my hands on one of these eventually
    killer sounding amp

15. Red_Label

Red_Label Supporting Member

To those with experience owning/playing both the CAA/Suhr 100 watt heads and Bogner XTCs (especially the Classic, which I currently own)...

What would you say the strengths on the CAA are when compared to the Bogner? Or vice versa?

I ask, because my XTC is my dream amp, and since I bought it last December I've stopped GASing for most/all other amps. BUT... the CAA is the one that I've always been curious about and remain so, because it seems to be the only amp out there that can compete with the Bogner (for the features/tones that I personally prefer and want). So I'd like to get your opinions on the differences between the two and any strengths or weaknesses when comparing them.

BTW... Pete, I love your demos (including the PT100 demo). I bought the Carl Martin Plexitone based on your demo. I can't remember if I watched your Nova System demo before buying one or not, but if I did... I'm sure that had something to do with that as well. Good stuff!

16. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

I have a PT100 and a Bogner 101B, The PT100 is just a brighter amp with way more upper mid crunch. The PT100 is closer in sound to a Soldano SLO 100 but with a tad more oomph in the punch factor. Atleast this is how I see and hear it.

17. Red_Label

Interesting. Thanks for the info!

18. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

The Bogner will have a more lower mid emphasis, whereas the PT 100 is more of an aggressive upper mid "bark" on ch2/3. I like amps that cut!

19. Red_Label

Roger. Thanks!

20. dankayaker

I've been using a Budda combo cab (1x12) w/ Scumback M75 as my church rig and I fired up the PT100 today and it looks like I've blown the M75 . . . This stinks . . . I was thinking it would be a great speaker with the PT . . .my wiring looks fine . . but this cab has been used for close to a year in an ISO box and I may have had it cranked a bit too much I guess. My Mojo OS 1x12 open back sounds great and it has a Scumback H75. Going to try a friends EV soon.

Anyone know if it's cost effective to fix a blown speaker ?

PT100 Rocks.