Suhr PT100SE 100 watt amp

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabinets Demo Videos and Soundclips' started by sinasl1, Jun 17, 2015.

1. ejblives

ejblives Member

I can't say for the Badger since I haven't played one but my PT100 SE can go from whisper quiet to balls out as loud as you want without any noticeable tone loss. It's bad ass.

2. BGrizzMayne

BGrizzMayne Member

Not sure if Pete will still be around to post in this thread, but I had a question-

I've been considering using an open back cabinet with my PT100, just to fit the venues my cover band often plays in- small bars/clubs that require a mix of PA with the acoustic sound of the band.

I remember when Suhr did a gear spotlight on pete, he was using a divided by 13 cabinet with his SL68, and using something else for his Jim Kelly amp.

I was curious what kind of Divided by 13 cabinet Pete was using- IE what speakers are in there? I'm thinking of pairing my Suhr with a Divided by 13 cabinet, but am not sure what speakers to go that would suit the PT100 alright and fit a /13 el84 head that I hope to purchase down the line. Cheers!

Ben

3. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

The Divided By 13 I used is a closed back with 2 greenbacks... If you want an open back, hmm.. I think the Suhr open oval back cab would be a good "all around" choice, the /13 open 2-12" is great with Fred's amps and for cleaner rootsy stuff but I dunno about ch2/3 through a cab like that.

I'd say off the top of my head maybe an oval back 2-12" with a gold or cream alnico and a creamback H75 would maybe be a good all-round cab for a PT100 and an EL84 type /13 (two vastly different amps, so it's a challenging question)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  4. John 14:6

John 14:6 Member

Here is a very cool PT100 clip with Reb Beach.

5. Getafix3

Getafix3 Member

Pulled the trigger on it and couldn't be happier. Spending most of my time on Ch1 so far (so versatile), but once I go over to Ch2 it's hard to switch back. A lot of exploring still to do - just love it!! Thanks for the advice/info/opinions Pete.

Spot on.

6. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Awesome! Glad you are happy.

7. ejblives

ejblives Member

Pete, curious to what your settings are for the presence,feedback and depth controls? Do you pretty much set and forget or do you tweak those more frequently.
    This amp is ridiculously good!
    Thanks

8. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Member

I just got one of these. It's pretty amazing. The the EQ combined with the depth/presence knobs and bright/thump switches really allow for a wide range of tones and feels at different volumes. I love the internal boost and matching channel 2/3. It allows channel 3 to be just a little more of channel 2. Instead of an overly compressed high gain 3rd channel. But with the boost.... And being able to program the boost to come stay on on the fly is amazing.

I tend to set channel 3 with slightly more gain and volume than 2. But for some songs I program the boost to come on with channel 2 and then use 3-2 for less to more gain. But that way boosted 2 is still not as much gain as just hitting the boost on 3. Just awesome. I can't wait to get the new FX8 to go with it.

9. Csgband

Csgband Member

Moved to Austin, formerly from Brooklyn, NY
    I am getting the PT 100 se.
    I am planning on using this for recording using reactive load technology.
    I have a Torpedo reload with IR's. It that that a good unit for this?
    I wonder how Pete Thorn does this?
    I've seen some videos of him using the Suhr reactive load and the Torpedo. Maybe even th Fryette Power Station.
    What an amazing amp.
    Thanks for your input.
    thanks, Chris

10. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

You could use a Reload and it will work fine. Pete however uses our Reactive load which does mimic the Resonance of the speaker and cab. Where the reload is nice is with Re-amping.
    When he used the Torpedo he was still using it as an IR loader with the prototype Reactive Load, I know now Pete really likes the Redwirez plug in and the longer Celestion IRs

Nitrobattery and Csgband like this.
  11. Csgband

Csgband Member

Moved to Austin, formerly from Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for your help, it really is a great amp.

12. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

The PCB boards were redesigned to make it easier to make. No tonal differences.
    Thanks