Suhr quality vs. Fender American Deluxe (or similar)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Loobster, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Loobster

Loobster Member

I have a Fender American Deluxe tele which I love, but am in the market for a strat. I really like the look of Suhrs. I have never played a Classic, but was just wondering actually how good is the quality of these guitars? Since they are improving on what is in essence a pretty tried and tested and simple base, is the refinement that noticeable/drastic? I realise that they are without doubt very nicely made guitars, but do they really blow away Fender's offerings that badly?

2. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

It depends on which fender you compare it to, and what your needs are.

In general the suhr will be lighter weight, have a real nice neck pocket fit, accurate string alignment, and better fretwork right out of the box. Plus the pickups are a lot better than most fenders.

On the other hand, some CS fenders and sigs (like the EJ) can be super nice too, although not as consistent.

Compared to the american deluxe the suhr will be almost always be better, in terms of fit and finish, weight, frets, set-up, pickups, nut cut,etc.

3. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I agree Matt - that's how I see it too.

Fender makes some good Custom Shop stuff, though inconsistency is still the order of the day there, IMHO. Some of the other Fender lines have pretty good QC standards, like the EJ Strats, or the Baja Teles. Suhr, on the other hand, has excellent QC and makes a very consistent, high-quality product that has the kind of features Matt mentioned above, like fit and finish, fretwork, and intital setup.

Suhr, 99 times out of 100.

Thanks, Dana O.

4. Loobster

Loobster Member

5. beej

beej Supporting Member

There are some brands that consistently nail high quality. Suhr is one of them. Fender is not.

6. MartinC

MartinC Member

I've got a Fender American Deluxe Strat and a Suhr Classic.

Nothing wrong with the Fender ... I think I got a good one (I've since played others that don't seem to feel or sound as good). Taking the price into account, I'd say it was a 9 out of 10. 1 mark off for an LSR roller nut which has a radius that's apparently a little flatter than the neck radius (doesn't noticeably affect playability though).

The Suhr is absolutely flawless in terms of build quality, tone and playability. Even taking into account its price it's still a 10 out of 10 for me. And the tweaks to the strat design that you can get all make sense (wider neck with compound radius, extra carving to the back for easier access to top frets, stainless steel frets, SSC system). I played three other Suhr's before I put my order in, and was confident to effectively buy sight unseen based on those three. I wouldn't buy a factory Fender without trying it first. And I don't think I'd buy a CS Fender in preference to a Suhr, having experienced a Suhr, though I must admit I haven't owned a CS Fender.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  7. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

I own two Suhr's, a Pro S1 and a Classic T. The Suhr's fit and finish are excellent as is their tonal resonance.
    I recently bought a CS '60 NOS Strat from Wildwood guitars that has taken over the #1 spot.
    I also have an '89 AM Strat that is a great guitar now that I put in some Lollar pickups.