Suhr question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by PinoyBoy, Jul 19, 2006.

1. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Member

How much is a new Suhr classic tele-type guitar? I always see used ones for sale here in TGP with the original order sheet stating the retail price, but I'm guessing that those guitars were not bought at full retail anyway. Please advise. Thanks.

2. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

I would be very suprised if anyone paid full retail. I think it's just used as a reference point. If I remember correctly it's usually 20 some-odd% off of retail price that is actually what you end up paying. I'm also fairly certain that there's no real negotiating room on a new Suhr.
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

I believe most places will give a 30% "discount". That's what I got off my classic. I've heard that you could push for 35% but it didn't work for me. :p That extra 5% adds up on a guitar that lists for close to 4K.

4. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

I think 30% is right Joe. For some reason 28 was sticking out in my mind, but I didn't want to give incorrect info.
    Thanks.

5. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Member

Thanks guys. I know that nobody pays full retail for any guitar, so I wanted to know what people normally pay, and then see what kind of discount I'm getting by buying used.

So it seems like the consensus is ~30% less than retail. With that in mind, most used prices are still fairly close to the price of a new one. I probably should just buy new then.

6. Reeek

Reeek Member

This is accurate. I just bought my second Suhr . . . I'd say the figure is closer to between 28% and 30%

7. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

FWIW, 2-3 years back I got 30% off of mine.

Good luck in your search-

Steve

8. tone4days

tone4days Member

a few years back, i played a suhr tele at an outstanding va beach music store ... i think it was marked at ~$2200 at that time ... amazing guitar

good luck in your search

t4d

9. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

I've been thinking about ordering another Classic S with the SSC. The SSC is like crack to me. I have both a S & T with it. Now that I'm hooked and can't live without it they raised the list price to $700 (was $500). If I could find a place that would offer ~35% off I'd order one right now.

10. Unburst

Unburst Member

Used Suhr are a great bargain compared with new, imo.

11. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

I just inquired about another classic S from the same dealer I bought my first from. He informed me that there were some list price increases (SSC is now $700) and the amount that dealers are allowed to discount is now only 25%. On the first one I special ordered a 1" thick neck that there was no up charge for. Now it's $200. To keep the price about the same as the first I'd have to substitute the backplate SSC for the "factory SSC" (under pickguard). Now I have some thinking to do.