• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Suhr Reactive Load - 100 watts max?

framos

Hi All,

I am just about to buy a Suhr Reactive Load. However, I am not sure I fully understand the '100 watts max' statement.

Initially I thought it meant 100w maximum power, ie, it could safely handle a 50-60 watt amp, cranked. But I've read many reviews of people using 100w NMV amps with the SRL which got me confused.

I own a Palmer PDI-03 which also states '100w max', which until today I have never used with an amp rated beyond 60w. Today I decided to open it up, just to find out it has 4x 50w resistors which leads me to the conclusion that the 100w probably refers to the amps rating, not the total power.

Would that be the same with the Suhr? For those who owns one, did you ever use it with a 100w rated amp maxed out??

Thanks!

Last edited:

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
I had an SLO up to 7 on the od channel volume with no issues.

Simto

This wasn't maxed out but if I was using a real cab/speakers/mic, the cops would've been knockin'.

Sick tone!

To the op:
I've used my Marshall AFD100 at full 100w totally cranked with no problems.
I think John Suhr said something like he tried some amps that had more than 100w and it worked fine but I wouldn't go over 100w. I may remember wrong... I wouldn't go over 100 haha

I've made a couple of clips with it my Marshall at full power, it sounds like this:

The reactive load is an awesome tool! I love mine

JiMB

Sick tone!

To the op:
I think John Suhr said something like he tried some amps that had more than 100w and it worked fine but I wouldn't go over 100w. I may remember wrong... I wouldn't go over 100 haha

I've made a couple of clips with it my Marshall at full power, it sounds like this:

Sounds great!

framos

Sick tone!

To the op:

Awesome!

The thing is that your 100w AFD is throwing way more than 100w to the SRL when cranked, and that was my concern, if SRL could handle it. I definitely won't plug an amp rated at more than 100w, that's for sure!! :p

Thanks for the input, I'm definitely going to get a SRL.

MmcGrouty

That's good to know. I've been kind of worried about running some of my amps wide open into it.

Jim Kelley

Platinum Supporting Member
Hi All,

I am just about to buy a Suhr Reactive Load. However, I am not sure I fully understand the '100 watts max' statement.

Initially I thought it meant 100w maximum power, ie, it could safely handle a 50-60 watt amp, cranked. But I've read many reviews of people using 100w NMV amps with the SRL which got me confused.

I own a Palmer PDI-03 which also states '100w max', which until today I have never used with an amp rated beyond 60w. Today I decided to open it up, just to find out it has 4x 50w resistors which leads me to the conclusion that the 100w probably refers to the amps rating, not the total power.

Would that be the same with the Suhr? For those who owns one, did you ever use it with a 100w rated amp maxed out??

Thanks!
The Suhr Reactive Load is designed to dissipate the energy of the squarewave from a 100 watt power amplifier operating continuously at full power without damaging its internal components or getting uncomfortably warm to the touch. It is designed specifically to be used with a cranked 100 watt (or less) tube amplifier. It's basically the electrical equivalent of four, eight ohm 12" British type speakers wired in series-parallel and loaded into a basketweave 4x12 cabinet. Simple as that. :)

Dave_C

Sick tone!

To the op:

This sounds fabulous too!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom