Suhr Reactive Load for Fender HRD ML 212?

harrymaes

I'm considering buying a Fender HRD ML 212 and a Reactive Load for IR based recording.
The HRD has a 4 ohm internal speaker output so I have a feeling that this won't work with the 8 ohm from the Reactive Load?

sinasl1

Ask Suhr CS what they say- totally unofficially, I'll say this- I use (for many years) my 4 ohm Bassman head into 8 ohm loads all the time. It sounds best to me into a 4 ohm load- it has less headroom into an 8 ohm load- but it works fine into a 8 ohm load. I'm no tech but the commonly held belief is that you can mismatch up from 4 to 8, or 8-16 ohm but you shouldn't ever run an 8 ohm amp into say, a 4 ohm load.

harrymaes

Thanks for your reply Pete! I've send Suhr CS a mail about this as well this morning. Your experience gives some insights in what's working.

I like working with the Axe Fx II with IRs but would like some good tube heads for recording with pedals again combined with the Cablab 3 for UR IRs. Ultimate tone and flexibility :D

Might as well consider a PT100 maybe as it does Fender cleans great as well. Other option is a Bogner Goldfinger which I also really dig.

Cheers!

Ask Suhr CS what they say- totally unofficially, I'll say this- I use (for many years) my 4 ohm Bassman head into 8 ohm loads all the time. It sounds best to me into a 4 ohm load- it has less headroom into an 8 ohm load- but it works fine into a 8 ohm load. I'm no tech but the commonly held belief is that you can mismatch up from 4 to 8, or 8-16 ohm but you shouldn't ever run an 8 ohm amp into say, a 4 ohm load.

sinasl1

Thanks for your reply Pete! I've send Suhr CS a mail about this as well this morning. Your experience gives some insights in what's working.

I like working with the Axe Fx II with IRs but would like some good tube heads for recording with pedals again combined with the Cablab 3 for UR IRs. Ultimate tone and flexibility :D

Might as well consider a PT100 maybe as it does Fender cleans great as well. Other option is a Bogner Goldfinger which I also really dig.

Cheers!
Yes, I also like the Goldfinger! Both PT and Goldfinger are very nice amps. :)

harrymaes

Got a reply from Fender that they don't recommend connecting the 4 ohm speaker out to an 8 ohm load as that could damage the amp.

Husky

Suhr CS also said not to use the reactive load with a 4 ohm fender amp.

Might do it anyway!
You mean the 8 ohm RL on a 4 ohm output?
You will be fine, that direction is far better than the opposite. I dont recommend something like a 16 ohm out in to a 4 ohm load.

Got a reply from Fender that they don't recommend connecting the 4 ohm speaker out to an 8 ohm load as that could damage the amp.
This is not the optimal direction, I'd be surprised if you damaged a transformer but it would be more taxing on the power tubes, reversed (as is the question) it is fine

Last edited:

Husky

I'm considering buying a Fender HRD ML 212 and a Reactive Load for IR based recording.
The HRD has a 4 ohm internal speaker output so I have a feeling that this won't work with the 8 ohm from the Reactive Load?
There may also be another Transformer tap on there hidden inside. I think I covered this in another thread. Can you get me a schematic of the amp in question?

This is what I posted before

If the ML Output transformer is the same as the Hot Rod Deville then there is a hidden internal tap.
It has 2,4,8

The 4-10 setup is 8 ohm on main speaker and when you plug an extension cab (which should be 8 ohm) in it switches to the 4 ohm tap via switching jacks
The 2-12 setup is 4 ohm on main speaker and when you plug an extension cab (which should be 4 ohm) in it switches to the 2 ohm tap via switching jacks
All you need to do is to change the two transformer wires internally to be like the 4-10 wiring. Then you have an 8 ohm output.

Now I understand this might be an issue if you are going to use stock internal speakers which are 4 ohm because 2/8 ohm speakers in parallel would be 4 ohms. In that case.....

Any amp tech could easily give you an extra speaker jack that is tied directly to the 8 ohm out. Just don't use it in conjunction with any other speaker / load.

Last edited:

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
OP - did you end up ok with your situation?

I'm considering a RL, but I have a few 4ohm and 16ohm amps along with my 8ohm amps.

I wouldn't use it with the 16ohm outputs, but I'd like to use it with my 4ohm amps.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom