• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Suhr Reactive Load for Fender HRD ML 212?

harrymaes

I'm considering buying a Fender HRD ML 212 and a Reactive Load for IR based recording.
The HRD has a 4 ohm internal speaker output so I have a feeling that this won't work with the 8 ohm from the Reactive Load?

sinasl1

Silver Supporting Member
Ask Suhr CS what they say- totally unofficially, I'll say this- I use (for many years) my 4 ohm Bassman head into 8 ohm loads all the time. It sounds best to me into a 4 ohm load- it has less headroom into an 8 ohm load- but it works fine into a 8 ohm load. I'm no tech but the commonly held belief is that you can mismatch up from 4 to 8, or 8-16 ohm but you shouldn't ever run an 8 ohm amp into say, a 4 ohm load.

harrymaes

Thanks for your reply Pete! I've send Suhr CS a mail about this as well this morning. Your experience gives some insights in what's working.

I like working with the Axe Fx II with IRs but would like some good tube heads for recording with pedals again combined with the Cablab 3 for UR IRs. Ultimate tone and flexibility :D

Might as well consider a PT100 maybe as it does Fender cleans great as well. Other option is a Bogner Goldfinger which I also really dig.

Cheers!

Ask Suhr CS what they say- totally unofficially, I'll say this- I use (for many years) my 4 ohm Bassman head into 8 ohm loads all the time. It sounds best to me into a 4 ohm load- it has less headroom into an 8 ohm load- but it works fine into a 8 ohm load. I'm no tech but the commonly held belief is that you can mismatch up from 4 to 8, or 8-16 ohm but you shouldn't ever run an 8 ohm amp into say, a 4 ohm load.

sinasl1

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for your reply Pete! I've send Suhr CS a mail about this as well this morning. Your experience gives some insights in what's working.

I like working with the Axe Fx II with IRs but would like some good tube heads for recording with pedals again combined with the Cablab 3 for UR IRs. Ultimate tone and flexibility :D

Might as well consider a PT100 maybe as it does Fender cleans great as well. Other option is a Bogner Goldfinger which I also really dig.

Cheers!
Yes, I also like the Goldfinger! Both PT and Goldfinger are very nice amps. :)

harrymaes

Got a reply from Fender that they don't recommend connecting the 4 ohm speaker out to an 8 ohm load as that could damage the amp.

Husky

Suhr CS also said not to use the reactive load with a 4 ohm fender amp.

Might do it anyway!
You mean the 8 ohm RL on a 4 ohm output?
You will be fine, that direction is far better than the opposite. I dont recommend something like a 16 ohm out in to a 4 ohm load.

Got a reply from Fender that they don't recommend connecting the 4 ohm speaker out to an 8 ohm load as that could damage the amp.
This is not the optimal direction, I'd be surprised if you damaged a transformer but it would be more taxing on the power tubes, reversed (as is the question) it is fine

Last edited:

Husky

I'm considering buying a Fender HRD ML 212 and a Reactive Load for IR based recording.
The HRD has a 4 ohm internal speaker output so I have a feeling that this won't work with the 8 ohm from the Reactive Load?
There may also be another Transformer tap on there hidden inside. I think I covered this in another thread. Can you get me a schematic of the amp in question?

This is what I posted before

If the ML Output transformer is the same as the Hot Rod Deville then there is a hidden internal tap.
It has 2,4,8

The 4-10 setup is 8 ohm on main speaker and when you plug an extension cab (which should be 8 ohm) in it switches to the 4 ohm tap via switching jacks
The 2-12 setup is 4 ohm on main speaker and when you plug an extension cab (which should be 4 ohm) in it switches to the 2 ohm tap via switching jacks
All you need to do is to change the two transformer wires internally to be like the 4-10 wiring. Then you have an 8 ohm output.

Now I understand this might be an issue if you are going to use stock internal speakers which are 4 ohm because 2/8 ohm speakers in parallel would be 4 ohms. In that case.....

Any amp tech could easily give you an extra speaker jack that is tied directly to the 8 ohm out. Just don't use it in conjunction with any other speaker / load.

Last edited:

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
OP - did you end up ok with your situation?

I'm considering a RL, but I have a few 4ohm and 16ohm amps along with my 8ohm amps.

I wouldn't use it with the 16ohm outputs, but I'd like to use it with my 4ohm amps.

Trending Topics