• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Suhr Reactive Load For Slaving/Re-Amping

Jason Carter

Gold Supporting Member
I want to load down my Vox AC30 and send the line signal to the front end of Marshall 1959HW. Is the Suhr Reactive load good for this application or should I go with a Palmer PDI-03?

Jelle

I use a Suhr RL with the line output to a Palmer Daccapo for reamping, works great although I reamp my pre-recorded DAW output and do not slave a 'live' amp to a master amp.

The Suhr is the best sounding loadbox to my ears, it doesn't lose highs like most competitors. The Daccapo takes care of converting the line output to something resembling more of an instrument level and impedance.

kruts

I want to load down my Vox AC30 and send the line signal to the front end of Marshall 1959HW. Is the Suhr Reactive load good for this application or should I go with a Palmer PDI-03?
Buy the Suhr RL before the Palmer PDI-03. The Suhr RL has the most accurate greenback 4x12 load impedance curve on the market, imo.

However, you need to re-think your re-amplification strategy. Taking the output signal from the Suhr RL and driving the front end of a marshall 1959HW (or any front-end) is going to sound like absolute crap. The reason is you'll be taking a very hot signal (line level) and your preamp is going to clip and also color the signal because of the preamp gain stages and EQ.

As another poster mentioned, you are better off driving the return effects loop of your amp. This bypasses the preamp and strictly uses your amplifier power amp.

Jason Carter

Gold Supporting Member
I use a Suhr RL with the line output to a Palmer Daccapo for reamping, works great although I reamp my pre-recorded DAW output and do not slave a 'live' amp to a master amp.

The Suhr is the best sounding loadbox to my ears, it doesn't lose highs like most competitors. The Daccapo takes care of converting the line output to something resembling more of an instrument level and impedance.

Thanks for the info and the tip on the Daccapo.

mlj_gear

Taking the output signal from the Suhr RL and driving the front end of a marshall 1959HW (or any front-end) is going to sound like absolute crap. The reason is you'll be taking a very hot signal (line level) and your preamp is going to clip and also color the signal because of the preamp gain stages and EQ.

As another poster mentioned, you are better off driving the return effects loop of your amp. This bypasses the preamp and strictly uses your amplifier power amp.
The Suhr Rective Load has an output level control. You can turn it down for use with instrument level inputs on mixers -- see https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...ine-level-or-instrument-to-interface.2172691/ -- so it stands to reason that you could also turn it down to feed the front end of an amp with fine results at least as far as the levels are concerned. I don't have an RL, so I don't know if you can completely zero the DI level out with the level control, but since the maximum DI level is line level with a 7-watt input, I'm guessing that with most amps you can turn it down so that the DI out is well below line level.

As far as the tonal results go, who knows? I'm not sure exactly why the OP wants to do this, and it's a bit unusual to shape the signal with two different preamps and power amps, but it may (or may not) sound great. Most of Neil Young's live electric tone is tweed Deluxe with 6L6s subbed for 6V6s, but some of it is a loaded-down signal from the Deluxe run through a Magnatone, etc. Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but it works for him!

Also, the 1959HW doesn't have a loop.

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
I’ve used my Suhr RLIR to slave my Hiwatt into the loop return of my other amp. Works great imo. Never tried into the front of an amp

Jason Carter

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks everyone for chiming in. I really like the drive sound of the AC30 but its lacking some low end girth. I'm basically wanting to use it as a glorified drive pedal and let my 1959 preamp add some of its characteristics. Either way I need a load device so I will go with a Suhr Reactive Load and get the Deccapo to see if it will give the front end of my marshall more of an impedance friendly signal. I'm currently using a suhr iso line out testing how it works with the front end of the marshall.

Husky

Thanks everyone for chiming in. I really like the drive sound of the AC30 but its lacking some low end girth. I'm basically wanting to use it as a glorified drive pedal and let my 1959 preamp add some of its characteristics. Either way I need a load device so I will go with a Suhr Reactive Load and get the Deccapo to see if it will give the front end of my marshall more of an impedance friendly signal. I'm currently using a suhr iso line out testing how it works with the front end of the marshall.
The impedance is not an issue, it's fine
The DI level will go to 0 there is no reason to have a level converter. If you don't have any way to test like a device with a V meter then just go in to the low input of the bass channel will give a good impedance match and try to adjust the EQ to sound right.

Jason Carter

Gold Supporting Member
The impedance is not an issue, it's fine
The DI level will go to 0 there is no reason to have a level converter. If you don't have any way to test like a device with a V meter then just go in to the low input of the bass channel will give a good impedance match and try to adjust the EQ to sound right.

sounds good thanks!

Jason Carter

Gold Supporting Member
My reactive load landed tonight. Just got through testing it with my marshall amp only. This was the signal chain

Signal chain / Guitar - Marshall - Reactive Load - Power Station Preamp In - 2x12 cab loaded with Alnico Creams

I like the reactive load into a power amp better than my power station. Its a great unit if anyone is on the fence to try one out. Looking forward to experimenting more with it this weekend with my other amps.

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
My reactive load landed tonight. Just got through testing it with my marshall amp only. This was the signal chain

Signal chain / Guitar - Marshall - Reactive Load - Power Station Preamp In - 2x12 cab loaded with Alnico Creams

I like the reactive load into a power amp better than my power station. Its a great unit if anyone is on the fence to try one out. Looking forward to experimenting more with it this weekend with my other amps.
Exactly my experience - loved the PS II (and still use it with some amps) but my big amps and 4x12s get the RL through fryette power amps - the response is more alive to me.

Trending Topics