Suhr reactive load IR help

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Nicholas mcallister, Mar 26, 2020 at 5:25 PM.

1. Nicholas mcallister

Nicholas mcallister Supporting Member

I've recently acquired a suhr reactive load at IR to use with headphones while playing at home (which has been more often as of late). I'm using a pair of sennheiser HD280 pros and have had horrible results thus far. It has my perplex'd sounding brittle, fuzzy, and unresponsive. I've heard a headphone amplifier helps for high impedance headphones (I believe these are rated at 64 ohms). For those who have used the RLIR do you believe that this would solve the problem or should I look into getting a better set of headphones? Does the RLIR sound terrible regardless when using headphones? I've heard many amazing demos of this unit so I have a feeling it shouldn't be this bad.

2. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

I personally swapped out the IR’s for some Ownhammers when I had mine. I just didn’t like the IR’s that it came loaded with. Could be your cans, but I’d try some different IR’s before I went headphone shopping.

3. Nicholas mcallister

I'll give that a try. Appreciate the response!!!

4. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

bone dry? no reverb or delay?

5. randombastage

randombastage Supporting Member

The way you described the sound is a lot like you aren’t getting the amp signal through an ir.
    I’d make sure you are monitoring the right thing if there is any way you might have it set up wrong...

6. Nicholas mcallister

yeah bone dry

7. Nicholas mcallister

Honestly it does kind of sound like the clips I've heard of an amp signal with no IR. However it appears like I have it set up right and when I switch banks it does sound different. It just goes from crappy sound number 1 to crappy sound number 2.

8. Nicholas mcallister

It Feels like there is a huge loss of output. I have my amp set up for like a decently distorted late 60's early 70's tone and when playing through my cab it is thick and luscious however as soon as it is plugged into the reactive load IR it sounds like there is a loss of gain and becomes very thin/buzzy

9. Jim Roseberry

Jim Roseberry Supporting Member

If you loaded 3rd-party IRs (or converted your own):

I've found that Wav files exported from some applications (Reaper) don't sound as expected when loaded into the SRL-IR.
    I'm thinking it has something to do with the Wav file header.
    It sounds similar to listening to the amp tone without any cab/IR.

Wav files exported from other applications sound exactly as expected (Samplitude Pro X4).

If this is what you're experiencing, Suhr can send a link to download Wav file conversion software that produces IRs that work as expected.

10. Nicholas mcallister

The factory ones are sounding pretty bad as well. For some reason the factory ones are also clipping before I can get them as loud as I prefer. Not having thae same volume issue with the ones I purchased from ownhammer however they sound just as bad.

11. Jim Roseberry

Jim Roseberry Supporting Member

You can turn up the volume of the SRL-IR signal via any preamp (whether it be via a mixer, outboard preamp, or an audio interface with preamps). Set the SRL-IR to where it's not clipping... then use the "external" preamp to get volume where you'd like it.

12. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

You purchased used?
    Have you actually checked the IRS and their folders? The Ir has to be in the correct format or it will Sound like it's not there or won't sound correct. What's coming out of the headphones should sound like a close mic on a cab and if it doesn't I'd suggest you contact customer support. If you have never close mic'd a cab it can be quite a different experience than listening to a cab in a room, especially if you are listening dry with no reverb or anything to create a room. I usually prefer going out of the headphone out in to my Bose computer speakers. Or, send it in and we will go over it because this is not the typical experience. It's going to sound pretty much exactly like what a close mic'd amp would sound like, have you tried listening in your DAW with something to add some room sound like reverb?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020 at 12:33 PM
  13. Husky

Yes, We have converter software if you contact Support. We allow you to change the IR but header information makes things not work correctly sometimes, we are compatible with Celestion though. We have conversion software for Mac and PC and also have instructions for Audacity (which is free) and they have been posted a few times here.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/3y2pegiaq3z322h/Reactive Load IR WAV Conversion.pdf?dl=0

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020 at 12:12 PM
    Jim Roseberry likes this.
  14. Nicholas mcallister

Thanks that actually did help alot. Its still quite buzzy sounding but I'm assuming that could be attributed to my headphones due to the fact that they are high impedance. If I wanted to try out a headphone amplifier how would I go about connecting that to the reactive load?

15. Darkness

Darkness Member

Should be line out into headphone amp, then headphones plug into hp amp phone jack. FWIW I use an Oppo HA-2 amp for HD280’s like yours. The headphone amp makes a night and day difference for most applications.

16. Nicholas mcallister

Really appreciate that man!!!!! I'm going to go ahead and grab that one.

17. Husky

Use the hi Cut too, it will be very subtle and more designed for slaving purpose but might help a little.
    The Celestion IRs sit great in a mix but there are darker ones like the ownhammers maybe better suited for solo playing. You could also use effects after the Ir for a room sound if you don't use anything in your amp loop. We can also goose the headphone out a little if this is an earlier unit and could give it a clean bill of health if you want to send it in.

18. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

bone dry, close miced, right into your ear with cans isn't going to be the most pleasing thing..