Suhr Reactive Load (v1) vs Waza TAE recording shootout - UPDATED

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by dudu, May 31, 2019.

Which load do you prefer?

1. EL34: Load A

38.2%
  2. EL34: Load B

55.9%
  3. EL84: Load A

35.3%
  4. EL84: Load B

44.1%
  5. Clean EL34: Load A

32.4%
  6. Clean EL34: Load B

20.6%
  7. Clean EL84: Load A

32.4%
  8. Clean EL84: Load B

14.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

So the impedance curves on the TAE are actually a combination of switches or do they follow a real Impedance curve?

What input impedance are you using for the RL? The first version should be fed to 50K minimum. The RLIR can feed anything and preferably 10K or lower but never Mic level for either.

The best way to compare is to use a line out box and a real cab, then compare that to the RL. Otherwise there is no baseline and one seasoning is applied on top of another. An impedance curve can hype the high end making a dull amp sound better giving you a false sense of what is better.
    Need Terra Firma or it’s pissing in the wind.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  2. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Good question...I think we both can guess the answer...

MaxTwang likes this.
  3. Ed DeGenaro

So which you prefer? A right?

4. Ed DeGenaro

I’m guessing the different resonance and high shelf settings are different resistor values. We see what’s what when some one opens it and posts pics or better yet runs impedance curves.
    And when it comes to that...and I said this before nothing seems to touch the Suhr.

5. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Gold Supporting Member

I love bright sounding amps alone, once they enter the mix and reference mix its quiet shocking just how much brightness has to be cut to make it fit properly.

6. Dr Bonkers

Dr Bonkers Vendor

It all depends upon the mix of other instruments and what each instrument is playing.

Too many times to count, I would receive multitracks to mix where the guitars were cut non-bright and due to either the arrangement, other instruments' tonalities, or a guitar army of tracks, the "warm" guitar tracks would disappear or sound like mud without brightening them up and cutting the mud in order to get instrument separation in a mix.

7. dudu

dudu Member

You are right. There was an impedance mismatch at play, I will repeat the tests and update the clips in the first post.

The Lo Lands likes this.
  8. dudu

dudu Member

Clean samples updated.

9. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

When's the Pepsi Challenge over? :D

ejecta and dudu like this.
  10. dudu

dudu Member

All samples updated. @Husky, 1 MOhm should do, right?

The Lo Lands likes this.
  11. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

I liked all the As but I think they both sound great

12. Pewtershmit

Pewtershmit Member

I prefered B but either I wouldn't sneeze at, both sounded fine to me. nothing a presence knob wouldn't fix.

13. Corvid

Corvid Member

(Note: Did the survey after the clean examples were added and all samples were updated for impedance issues.) As an ultra-novice, I unilaterally preferred the "A" tones (not sure if the load was switched between each set of tones). To me, A sounded clearer, warmer, and more dynamic in all examples (and maybe a bit harsher for the crunch tones, but I tend to like harsher tones, so go figure (guess this is better described as "brighter" per the venerable Dr Bonkers)). The EL84 crunch tone for A sounded quieter than for B, but once I boosted the volume a touch, I still preferred A.

Edit: And I concur with pretty much everyone else - the differences are small and both tones in all of the sets seem perfectly workable.

Also, thanks for going to all the trouble, dudu!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    Gasp100 likes this.
  14. ML Sound Lab

ML Sound Lab Vendor

I love these kinds of comparisons. I only did got to listen to the clips quickly but to be the A load was always brighter and in a good way. As far as realism goes - I don't really know. My main concern with the Waza is that it also has a power amp in it so I'm worried it'll mess with the natural impedance of specific power amp. Is the power amp section of the Waza realistically bypassable?

I have a pretty good idea of what the impedance curve should look/sound like for at least the Super Lead and it should be pretty bright so for that reason I'm saying that load A may be more realistic. The B clips kind of have a farty muffled top end to them. Who knows if it's more realistic but in comparison the brighter sounds were more real sounding to me. The Suhr has a pretty good reputation and their own amps are essentially plexi clones so for that reason I would think that they've done tests using real Super Leads which makes me thing "LOAD A" = Suhr and it sounds more realistic.

This is all just speculation - I really want the Waza to be good.

15. Yek

Yek Member

+1

djd100 likes this.
  16. Ed DeGenaro

How are Suhr amps plexi Clones? He makes what 5 or so models where one fits that description.
    And if memory serves he did the CAA pre and OD100 when other amp guys still played with marbles.

As for realism....who knows, we haven't heard it with a cab.

And how should an impdance curve look for an amp? These discussions are unreal.
    It's for a speaker ..in free air
    So the cab doesn't ring at that frequency or you put the Thiele Port to that resonance frequency.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  17. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

This. This comparison is kinda pointless as it is.

18. dass101

dass101 Member

What about the people who don't have the luxury to crank a superlead and test how it sounds on a real cab and who buy these units exactly because they allow them to do it? For them the "real" cab is an elusive benchmark, so it's simply a matter of picking what sounds subjectively better. This comparison aims to do exactly that as far as I can tell.

ljs, Kriig, Corvid and 2 others like this.
  19. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

Good point. If it sounds good it is good, but having the load impedance behave like a real speaker is a good goal for these products to make them pair nicely with IRs. I’m not really set up to do the comparisons at full volume so I haven’t.

20. Ed DeGenaro

Hmmm ....is it? The OP has two pieces of kit and did compArisons.
    If it was a YouTube video folks would celebrate it...