Suhr Reactive Load vs Torpedo Studio

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jimmy_Rage, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Jimmy_Rage

Jimmy_Rage Member

I'm really interested in this from a reactive load perspective. Not really too worried about the additional features on the Studio.

I know the Suhr is built with the idea of a 4x12 with V30s.

I've also heard lots of people, including Pete Thorn, say the Suhr is the best Reactive Load out there.

I've also heard some people say that the Torpedo Studio reactive load is better than the one in the Torpedo Live. However, no information on what its reactive load is modelled on, whether it's realistic, etc. Any idea why the unit is two racks in size, is it only because of the number of inputs?

Basically, I've heard lots of stuff, but have no practical experience. I have a Suhr Reactive Load, but was wondering whether the Studio would be a good addition to my home studio. I can't really enjoy the Suhr into my computer due to the high amount of latency and was hoping an all-in-one solution might improve my experience.

I also considered getting just a Torpedo CAB and using that after the Suhr, but ran across a good deal on the Studio. When I get it in my hands, I'll do some A/B comparisons, but was interested in hearing what users of both have to say.

EDIT: Apologies if this should be in Digital and Modelling Gear. I am using analog amps with this gear.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  2. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Not sure about that one?

Jimmy_Rage likes this.
  3. Jimmy_Rage

Jimmy_Rage Member

Oh snap. Yeah, maybe not with V30s, but a 4x12.

Maybe @Husky can clarify what the speakers were in that hypothetical 4x12.

4. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

SRL have the impedance curve of John's fave 4x12" with greenbacks.

Jimmy_Rage and Bluesful like this.
  5. Heinzi

Heinzi Member

6. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

OP would be better off getting his computer set up for lower latency I think.

ericb likes this.
  7. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

Ime, the Suhr is as good as it gets atm.
    afaik it's based on a 412 with M25s, but I could be wrong.
    this is nothing to obsess about anyway, the load defines the feel, IRs define the tone.
    the only real contender, the Fractal X Load (which performs almost identical in AB) has a cab mode switch that's less than exciting, mostly acts like a subtle filter, which can be easier achieved by choosing a different IR. :dunno
    both loads are very comparable, let the price decide.
    btw, I don't miss anything with non-412 IRs, compared to my real equivalents, guess one cab done right is all you need.

the Two Notes loads feel slightly more compressed, congested ime, still decent though (although the Captor, well ...).
    the difference to the Suhr is still big enough that you can actually hear it in Pete Thorn's video, despite what I wrote above.
    ymmv,
    Rhino

the next load I'll buy will not be a different one, it will be on the Suhr level but offer 2, 4 & 8 Ohm inputs in one unit, 16 is pretty moot as almost every 16 Ohm amp has an 8 Ohm tap too, old Fenders etc are the elephant in the room.

8. dudu

dudu Member

Michael Nielsen did a direct comparison:

9. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

the latency issue can be solved by using a hardware IR loader and monitoring its output directly, not through the computer.
    but that way you won't have the nice software FX while tracking, the most powerful solution remains a professionally done PC.
    not cheap though, and not a beginner's project to set up.
    there is no free lunch,
    Rhino

MantraSky likes this.
  10. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

My recording computer is fairly old, so I use my SRL with either a GFI CabZeus or Mooer Radar as an external cab sim for playing through headphones or monitors. That way, I don't need an IR running on my computer. The GFI sounds better, imo, even compared with high quality IRs (Celestion, etc) loaded into the Radar, although both are good.

11. cnardone

cnardone Member

Or just wait for the new SRL coming out in a couple of weeks with IRs loaded in it.

12. Jimmy_Rage

Jimmy_Rage Member

Sorry, I should have been more clear about this.

Thankfully, I have a modern machine. It's an iMac i7 with 32 gigs of RAM. The audio interfaces I am using are an RME Fireface 800 with a Universal Audio Apollo 8p slaved to it through ADAT.

Unfortunately, when using software monitoring - which is what you have to do when trying to listen to the IR while recording - you experience far greater latency than you would using direct monitoring.

When you factor in the latency of the audio going to your amp, going to the Reactive load then (negligible up to here) into your interface, then into your DAW, then through the IR plugin, then back to your interface, then into your speakers and then finally reaching your ears, your performance will suffer.

I'm sure you guys know all of that and can overlook it. I don't like latency, especially when recording, it's guaranteed that you won't be as tight as you could have been because your brain is compensating for the latency.

13. Jimmy_Rage

Jimmy_Rage Member

I've seen this comparison, but don't treat it like gospel. Why? Check out the Kemper tone for one. I'm sure he could have done a better job. One of the guys from the Kemper forum even asked if he could look at the profile, but didn't get any response.

Michael Nielsen has gone on to do a few more similar videos, btw.

It's also interesting that everyone seems to have a different take in the comments on which was the best tone. Most people agree on the amp into cab being the definitive one. After that, it's a toss up.

14. Jimmy_Rage

Jimmy_Rage Member

The Fractal definitely looks good, but the only reason I was interested in a Torpedo was so that I could have the IRs within the box rather than in a separate unit. I already have a Suhr Reactive Load, so no need of another reactive loadbox.

15. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Definitely seems like the Suh Reactive Load V2 is exactly what you need then. :)

16. theRagman

theRagman Gold Supporting Member

I have had both, and have used the following two setups:

SRL ->Torpedo C.A.B.
    Torpedo Studio

I found the differences in the reactive loads themselves to be negligible for my purposes (YMMV), and I ended up sticking with the Torpedo Studio because it has switchable impedance, and because it was a tidy all-in-one solution. I also like the digital outputs.

PBGas and Jimmy_Rage like this.
  17. Jimmy_Rage

Jimmy_Rage Member

Is that what they are calling it? I read the thread where they uncovered the device, and I remember John Suhr saying they were going to put it into production, but haven't heard anything since.

I was also really looking hard at the Fryette Power Station, but they have been out of stock everywhere for months.

I'd be most interested in checking out the new Suhr when it comes out. There's also a new Boss device that's coming out, the Waza Stage Expander. That would also be worth checking out.

Anyway, the Torpedo Studio is inbound, so I'll do a comparison with the Suhr just for kicks when it gets here. High gain, low gain, different amps. Watch this space.

18. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

Reactive Load IR has begun shipping to dealers world wide to get ready for release date. Full release less than 10 days. ;-)

Waze Tube expander is in an entirely different price point as is the Studio (not a reactive load)

Jimmy_Rage likes this.
  19. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Some info here : New Suhr Reactive Load v2 prototype!?!?

20. Jimmy_Rage

Jimmy_Rage Member

That sounds promising! Is there a product page, Mr Suhr? Or could you give us the skinny on its capabilities? Like can it handle amps and cabs of different impedence, how many IRs can it store, is it midi controllable? I was really excited when I first saw the device.

Then I saw something else (like I always do), and I forgot... :jo

Oh well, buy, sell, flip. Will your Singapore distributor be getting some units?