Suhr Riot + Badger Users

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cal1024, May 8, 2015.

1. cal1024

cal1024 Supporting Member

So my main rig I'm trying to get dialed in at the moment is a new Badger 35 set on the edge of breakup and a Koko Boost and guitar volume knob for dirt. Roll back volume for cleans. Works pretty great to the point that I have temporarily pulled every other OD pedal off my board. Love both of them and how they work together.

I'm thinking I might want to also pick up a Riot, but in trying to simplify my set-up, I want to still be able to run it into the same amp settings (4-6 gain on the Badger). I don't want to have to set the amp completely clean to use it. Does the Riot work well in this scenario? Many demos I have seen run them into very clean amps. I'm looking to get some modern, heavily distorted tones from time to time by only stepping on the pedal and adjusting the guitar volume as needed.

Thanks for taking the time.

2. pbenn2112

pbenn2112 Member

I run a Riot into a Port City Sahana that is set to be cleanish and it sounds pretty great.

3. cal1024

I suppose cleaning up with the guitar volume and then kicking in the Riot might also be an option? I just want to have the edge of breakup that the Badger does so well always available. Don't want to be restricted to running the amp gain on 2.

4. cal1024

I think I have to keep the Koko. Maybe I could handle bumping the amp gain down for certain songs and using the Riot, but I was just hoping to keep it as simple as possible.

Do you like what the Wamplers you are using now do through the Badger?

I wish I didn't want to buy everything that Pete Thorn demos!

5. willyboy

willyboy Member

I have to disagree with the Riot only sounding good through a clean amp. I have a Badger 30 and the Riot has been my main high gain OD since I bought it when it was first released. I run the amp's gain at 12 'o clock most of the time. The Riot sounds fantastic with the amp. It responds and feels like a second channel of the amp. IMO the Riot sounds really great whether I run the amp clean or breaking up. I also stack it with clean boosts, compressors and a Shiba and it plays really well with other boxes.

6. cal1024

Well that is good to hear. Thanks. I'm thinking I'll probably pick a used one up and see if it works for what I need. Sounds like it has a chance.

7. cal1024

I got the Riot delivered yesterday and like what I am hearing so far. With the Badger 35 gain at around noon, it is too much for me even at the lower pedal distortion settings. Lowering the gain to around a clean 9:00 does seem to put the Riot where it wants to be.
    This was what I was afraid of, but I did find that leaving the Badger gain in that noon position and rolling back the volume on my guitar allows the Riot to still hit that sweet spot and sound pretty great. Gives a more modern sounding distortion sound that I was hoping to add.
    It might not work with every guitar, as I have to have it rolled back pretty far and some of my guitars wouldn't sound good like that. One of the main things I love about my Suhr Modern is how both the volume and tone knobs work from 10 all the way down to 1. It cleans up so well that you can then use it like in this situation and have it work great.

Not sure what I will eventually decide, but seems like I'll run the amp gain at around 12-1:00. Roll back guitar volume for cleans, use nice on-the-edge breakup for rhythm. Koko green either always on or on for more pushed rhythm. Roll back guitar volume and use the Riot when needed. Might work great. Just need a Suhr t-shirt I guess! I really do like all of their stuff though.

8. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

Try turning the drive down a bit and the power up. That will increase headroom of the Badger if you are not already maxed out on the power

9. cal1024

That is an option I had not considered yet. I will give it a try this afternoon. Thanks for the response.