Suhr Riot vs Eclipse?

beniskeen

I have tried searching, but still a bit unsure..

Anyone have any idea which is better for the hot-rodded Marshall thing - before I go and give Mr Suhr even more of my hard-earned?

Moniker

Guitarchitect
Silver Supporting Member
May need to search a little deeper. There are a number of posts regarding this topic, and I know there have been direct Suhr posts regarding this exact comparison in said posts.

andy474x

I haven’t played the Riot, but I have the Eclipse... I wouldn’t exactly recommend it for hot-rodded Marshall tones. It sounds more modern to me, maybe more like a blend of a Mesa Mark and rectifier or something? Definitely not saying it nails those amps either, but it leans more that way to my ear.

For hot Marshall tones, I very much like the Dirty Shirley, and the MXR Super Badass is surprisingly good, too, if you’ve not tried them.

CarlGuitarist

I’ve absolutely no idea what one of those is, but that sounds promising! Thanks.
Haha sorry. The OD100 is an old amp designed by Suhr and Bob Bradshaw. My guitar teacher used to have one and the Eclipse feels and sounds very similar to the OD100 dirty channel.

JATXMD

I have had the Riot, Riot-Reloaded, and now the Eclipse. All have some similarities as you would imagine these are his circuits. Without knowing what amp you are going to run any of these pedals, but they can get the hot-rodded EVH Marshall type tone of way more. I particularly like the Eclipse as it really is a 2nd and 3rd channel for a clean amp that is so incredibly versatile. On Suhr's website he has one guy who does a prog rock/Dream Theater type sound with the eclipse and then Pete Thorn's demo to me sounds very hot rodded Marshall type sound as the key is the versatile eq section. Last thing, all of these pedals are so well made and incredibly quiet for pedals that can be run as high gain pedals. You will not be disappointed with any of these options though for most flexibility, I would recommend the Eclipse.

beniskeen

I have had the Riot, Riot-Reloaded, and now the Eclipse. All have some similarities as you would imagine these are his circuits. Without knowing what amp you are going to run any of these pedals, but they can get the hot-rodded EVH Marshall type tone of way more. I particularly like the Eclipse as it really is a 2nd and 3rd channel for a clean amp that is so incredibly versatile. On Suhr's website he has one guy who does a prog rock/Dream Theater type sound with the eclipse and then Pete Thorn's demo to me sounds very hot rodded Marshall type sound as the key is the versatile eq section. Last thing, all of these pedals are so well made and incredibly quiet for pedals that can be run as high gain pedals. You will not be disappointed with any of these options though for most flexibility, I would recommend the Eclipse.
really helpful - thank you!!

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
I’d second what @JATXMD said. I’ve given both riots some serious looks and own (and love) an eclipse. the eclipse can definitely do the modded Marshall thing,and gets very JCM800ish with the voice knob up. To my ears, it’s almost like a cranked Shiva sound really, which I guess is it’s own version of modded Marshall. But then I got it almost indiscernibly close to my Greer lightspeed so it does low gain real well too. Versatile and really well built with a ton of sounds in it.

beniskeen

I’d second what @JATXMD said. I’ve given both riots some serious looks and own (and love) an eclipse. the eclipse can definitely do the modded Marshall thing,and gets very JCM800ish with the voice knob up. To my ears, it’s almost like a cranked Shiva sound really, which I guess is it’s own version of modded Marshall. But then I got it almost indiscernibly close to my Greer lightspeed so it does low gain real well too. Versatile and really well built with a ton of sounds in it.
I think that’s me decided then! Just need to come up with a convincing lie about how much it cost for the lady friend now!

TimmyPage

Both are great pedals, but the Eclipse is definitely 'better'. Both of them sound like a cranked amp but the Eclipse has a bit of chime and sparkle that really sells it at lower gain settings, on top of having a second channel for huge high-gain tones. (To clarify, both 'channels' are the same, but having two channels to work with makes it a lot more versatile than a single pedal).

Husky

I use both and the Riot original is more like round and round Rat. (You can find Mark Day playing that with it on YouTube) then again David uses them for Roger Waters too. The Eclipse in to a cleanish amp (I use the Bella) is more of an amp overdrive that does not sound like a pedal but turns my Bella in to 3 channels. Plus it has more flexibility with the EQ section.

Last edited:

jhumber

I was going to say similar to the poster above - although I’d listen to him over me, I think he knows a little bit about the Suhr range ;-)

(But fwiw, I’ve owned both...Riot is a great pedal, but the Eclipse is just unreal - so amp like and versatile. I use it with a Badger 30 for a 3-channel setup and it’s been on my board a long time. I also use the Koko reloaded after it as a solo boost, between those two pedals and the amp it covers all my gain needs and I haven’t had GAS for gain pedals in a long time. Bravo Mr Suhr)

Last edited:

beniskeen

I was going to post similar to the poster above....but I’d listen to him over me, I think he knows a little bit about the Suhr range ;-)

(But fwiw, I’ve owned both...Riot is a great pedal, but the Eclipse is just unreal - so amp like and versatile. I use it with a Badger 30 for a 3-channel setup. It’s been on my board a long time. I also use the Koko reloaded after it as a solo boost, between those two pedals and the amp it covers all my gain needs and I haven’t had GAS for gain pedals in a long time. Bravo Mr Suhr)
I’ll be using it with a Badger too!

Seems like that chap above really knows what he’s doing - even if my lady friend disagrees!

Husky

I’ll be using it with a Badger too!

Seems like that chap above really knows what he’s doing - even if my lady friend disagrees!
Badger it’s the Eclipse no brainer. The voice will give you more control to dial it to the preferred clean channel. Bella either would be great.

johnnyg88

I have played and owned all of the Suhr high gain pedals. Loved them all (I prefer 18v for what I perceive as a tighter percussive sound).

Used the original Riot for a few years, then the Reloaded (this one was a little bright for me). Tried other things, ended up back at the Riot Mini. Then I decided I wanted a two channel pedal for switching different guitars on a gig so I tried the Eclipse, it was great from the start. A very important thing for me is how a gain pedal cleans up with the guitar volume knob and this does it, it’s like an amp channel. I feel like it’s got more Marshall flavor than the Riots, which sounded more modern to me. It has that Marshall style percussive “bark” to my ear, especially at 18v. But it’s so versatile with the EQ sections, you can do just about anything. I’ll hit it with a Timmy set to low gain/high volume to make it sing for leads.

I setup a channel for single coils and a channel for humbuckers. And I switch between them from my L6 HXFX using the remote switching function. It’s perfect for my setup and nothing else does what it does for me.

beniskeen

I have played and owned all of the Suhr high gain pedals. Loved them all (I prefer 18v for what I perceive as a tighter percussive sound).

Used the original Riot for a few years, then the Reloaded (this one was a little bright for me). Tried other things, ended up back at the Riot Mini. Then I decided I wanted a two channel pedal for switching different guitars on a gig so I tried the Eclipse, it was great from the start. A very important thing for me is how a gain pedal cleans up with the guitar volume knob and this does it, it’s like an amp channel. I feel like it’s got more Marshall flavor than the Riots, which sounded more modern to me. It has that Marshall style percussive “bark” to my ear, especially at 18v. But it’s so versatile with the EQ sections, you can do just about anything. I’ll hit it with a Timmy set to low gain/high volume to make it sing for leads.

I setup a channel for single coils and a channel for humbuckers. And I switch between them from my L6 HXFX using the remote switching function. It’s perfect for my setup and nothing else does what it does for me.
How do you actually get hold of a Timmy? Is there a waitlist or something?!

JATXMD

A Timmy alternative (I love the Timmy which to me is just a more pedal of whatever tone you have going on in-front of it) is a Suhr Koko...Awesome clean tone or add some midrange (variety of flavors of midrange) to boost the Eclipse sounds so good.

Gary Brennan

Old cavorting member
Platinum Supporting Member
Eclipse owners- there was an earlier thread about it's minimum engaged vol level being too much louder than the bypass level for somebody. Is it possible to get engaged unity gain levels with no negative impact to it's tone? Want to know before committing.

Gb