Suhr Riot vs Wampler Slostortion

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by johann, Feb 12, 2012.

1. johann

johann Member

I have only used the Riot, but wanted to know how it compares to the Slostortion.

Anyone please???

2. kebotrans

kebotrans Gold Supporting Member

I still use the Riot. I was not a fan sf the Slostortion. After hearing the reviews I thought it was going to be great, but it was not at all what I expected. So I run The Riot and a Zendrive with RC boost and Quinn Dirt and Ernie.

3. The_Wretched

The_Wretched Supporting Member

Owned both... Riot was my #1 distortion for over a year. Got rid of it for the Elements. Biggest mistake ever.

Slostortion??? On my board for 2 weeks. Best decision ever was to get rid of it.

Instead of just hating I should elaborate.

Riot: Great hot rodded Marshall Sounds. Great tight Bass. Just awesome. Huge Sound!!!

SLO: Couldn't sound so far off from the true SLO sound. Fizzy and the boost was totally unusable.

4. johann

johann Member

thanks guys...anyone else??

5. octatonic

octatonic Member

Wampler Pinnacle is worth a look.

6. PG-Lane

PG-Lane Member

is the Slostortion that bad?? Genuine question. I have heard good things about it.

7. kebotrans

kebotrans Gold Supporting Member

I certainly do not want to dog Wampler because I appreciate all of these builders, but the pedal was hyped and I liked the demos I heard, I was excited about that pedal, but when I got it withing 5 minutes it was back in the box and up for sale.

8. The_Wretched

Honestly... from gauging opinions and experiences here, it was more like 80% hated it and it worked for 20% of them.

It was my first Wampler. I was SO pumped about it. I LOVE the SLO sound. But this was so far from it, I can't explain it. It's dark, but not dark in a good way. The Riot is dark in a good way. Modern and can do the JCM hot rodded sounds.

Honestly the SLO is one of the least memorable pedals I've ever owned. I've owned a bunch!!

9. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I also couldn't get along with the SLOstortion. Too dark and fizzy. Lasted a week.

I LOVE the Riot. I use it along with a BB Preamp for 2 gain stages, and a Fatboost for leads. I almost got rid of it, because sitting in my room A-B'ing it with some other distortion pedals, it sounded like it had some extra noise that I didn't like, but running it live with the band, you never hear it. It really has some punch and definition, and a killer tone. I've gotten compliments from soundguys on the tone, and how well it cuts through. It feels great to play, as well.

Suhr products are no joke. He knows what he's doing.

10. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

I was looking forward to the SLOstortion too, but I heard something in a couple of the online demos that told me it wasn't for me. Not sure which demos at this point, but I just perceived this tonality that turned me off to it. Murky with fizz at the same time.

Definitely not a fair way to audition a pedal, but that's just the way it was for me and the SLOstortion.

Just got a Riot in yesterday. Compared to my PlexiTone and the Riot goes back. Super cool high gain pedal, but still felt pedal-like compared to the amp-like vibe of the PT. However I'm keeping the Koko Boost and Shiba drive.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  11. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

That's pretty much my thoughts, but give the Riot a chance. Especially with the Koko Boost, it might surprise you if you haven't used it with a band or live yet.

12. partsocaster

partsocaster Member

Just to pop in to give another alternative for that SLO sound, a Penfar Aces high. I have one that I bought on a whim, just $140 and was blown away by what it does, very Soldano-esque.

Now, my lead guitar player (I am guitarist but just a singer in my current band) really has a SLO-100 and no pedal can ever be what that amp is when it's singing but the Aces high gets pretty darn close.

Before you decide, take a listen on youtube, it's a nice pedal and very well made.

13. PG-Lane

PG-Lane Member

Yeah I have read a lot of posts here that say it is a bit dark, from the videos I have seen it sounds great for the single note lines...lead stuff. Probably it's just a bit too thick for some people.

14. amphead777

amphead777 Member

I had no idea of people's thoughts about the SLOstortion!! Saved me some cash. Thanks guys.

15. Agreed

Agreed Member

You think there's an 80/20 split on owners that like the SLOstortion vs. those that don't? Ah, not trying to be rude at all, but it would be something of an understatement to say that the suggested statistic isn't reflected at all in any kind of data we've got, from feedback to demand. We did revise it after several users suggested that the Middle control was a bit overpowering, and that seemed to help a lot of people who had previously found it darker than they wanted, but I am really surprised to see that it's your analysis that only 20% of people who buy it like it. If this were wikipedia I'd stick a big [citation needed] on there :D

You are more than entitled to your opinion, of course - it wasn't for you, that's unfortunate and I wish it had been, or that maybe we'd have got the revision worked out in time to save your opinion of the pedal... But I think there's some care to take in painting with too broad a brush when it comes to talking about what you figure others' opinions must be.

16. johann

johann Member

OK, someone here tried both pedals at the same time???

17. The_Wretched

18. Bezzy

Bezzy Member

The Riot was more clear. The Slostortion does not really sound like an SLO, it is missing the harmonic complexity, it is too dark, and it sounds muddy here. It may sound better through a very clean amp like a Hiwatt.

19. johann

johann Member

or a fender deluxe reverb???

20. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

This video makes little sense to me. I got no idea what the guy is playing, what he's playing through, he's in drop Z, his clean tone is dull as ****, and I'm only guessing he's playing at bedroom level. No pedal can be everything to everyone. I run my slostortion between an ash strat with low output pickups and a fender Tweed baseman ri. My treble knob sits at 9am or else it is piercingly bright. That dude had his at 4 it seemed to me. So the conclusion drawn is that the slosortion is dark ? Couldn't be further from my experience. The slo pedal works for me, but I have a bright high headroom fender. My understanding is most builders voice for that platformer, particularly amp sim pedals.

Oh BTW, I was able to try the slo next to the elements before I bought and I preferred the slo. To my ears the elements was much fizzier. Ymmv.