Suhr S1 To BPSSC or not?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by voojo, Mar 28, 2008.

1. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

I have been considering the Suhr S1 based on positive reviews, but I am not sure if I should get one with the BPSSC (Backplate Silent Single Coil System) or not. It adds about $225.00 to the cost of the guitar (street price.)

That really isn't that much, but for me this is a big purchase, most of my guitars are in the $500.00 price range. I love the features on the Suhrs and the apparent quality.

Any thoughts on the BPSSC?

2. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

I added one to my Strat & I also have the SSC system on my Suhr guitar.

It takes away the noise & does not change the sound of the guitar one bit.

The Strat that I put it on has been my #1 guitar for over 20 years, so I'm really familiar with the way it sounds & I noticed no difference in tone with the BPSSC added, just no noise.

Highly Recommended.

3. voojo

Kevin, thanks much for the information! I guess I kind of omitted one of the most important parts, the sound.

Sounds like it's the way to go!

4. eliot1025

eliot1025 Supporting Member

I heard from a well-known luthier and one of Suhr's competitors that the BPSSC "works pretty well." As an add-on it's usually around $300 so your price is pretty good. Suhr now has a newer SSC that's built into the pickguard. They claim it's a better system. It's much more expensive.

BTW - there are other single coil silent systems. I've tried the one Tyler makes. Dead silent with no compromise in the single coil tone. You might check the price on that. I don't think it's too costly.

5. Alpedra

Alpedra Member

The S1 has an humbucker right? BSSC doesn´t work with humbuckers.. Don´t know if you can wire it only to the neck/middle pickups..

6. voojo

No it's an option from Suhr, you can order the Pro Series guitars with it. So i must only work with the neck and middle pickups.

7. dead of night

dead of night Member

I didn't know there was a new SSC system vs. an old one. Can someone go into more detail about this?

8. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

I wasn't aware of a new system, it's either a backplate replacement or built in to a custom ordered guitar. The built in SCC came first if I'm not mistaken.

I have a Classic with built-in SCC, it was worth every penny. Real singles, no noise.

9. mbrown3

mbrown3 Member

I wasn't aware of a new Suhr system, or any other hum-silencing system for that matter. Tyler makes one? This is the first I've heard of it.

10. Supasso

Supasso Member

I don't think there's a new SSC system. There have been two types of SSC - the built-in (routed in the body under the pickguard) and back plate SSC. The built-in is more expensive because they have to route it into the wood. Of course, the built-in cuts more hum, as it completely surrounds the pickups perimeter. The BPSSC is good that you can easily drop in without routing the body. They both should not affect tones in anyway, at least I never heard anyone said otherwise, ever.

11. dead of night

dead of night Member

So, is this correct: the built- in system is the one that comes from the factory, and the BPSSC is an after-market purchase?

12. Supasso

Supasso Member

If you order a Custom Suhr, you can choose the BPSSC or the built-in SSC. Why choose the BPSSC? well, the BPSSC is cheaper, and I know someone out there would probably not like the idea of routing some hi-tech system into the wood - the built-in SSC is a major surgery, believe me.

Only the BPSSC is available on the Pro Series though.

13. kevin hart

Correct.

14. kevin hart

It works with SSH guitars. You just wire the Neck & Middle pick-ups to the system and not the Humbucker. Funny, the system is so quiet that my Humbucker is a touch noiser than the Neck or Middle pick-ups.

15. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Definitely worth it! Works amazingly well...

16. micstew

micstew Member

In case anyone is still checking on this thread, it should be noted that the Backplate Silent Single Coil system (BPSSC) requires that the pickups are all wound the same direction. For aftermarket installations, this typically requires replacing the middle pickup as they are reverse wound. If you order the BPSSC option from Suhr on an SSS or SSH, they just put a neck pickup in the middle position.

17. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I didn't know Tyler makes one. I thought he used Dimarzio VV pickups.

18. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

To Clarify on that ....our middle pickup is the same as the neck except it normally being RWRP. Also on a vintage strat all pickups were the same output. I'm not a believer in the necessity of 3 calibrated pickups with different outputs, in fact I think it sounds wrong. Also, we will exchange your Suhr middle RWRP with a correct polarity for the BPSSC for free (excluding shipping) with the purchase of the system. We can also usually remag and flip the wires on your non Suhr single coil (also for free) If that is a no go we can do a rewind on your single coil.

19. mslugano

mslugano Supporting Member

John, I have some V60LP's in an old strat. How do I know whether the middle pickup is RWRP or not?

20. JohnnyFavorite

JohnnyFavorite Member

I think if the middle pickup is RWRP, then you should get a humbucking feature, and no noise with the inbetween sounds of positions 2 and 4 on a 5-Way switch.