1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Suhr Setups

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by dewman, Jan 13, 2008.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

So I was thinking of increasing the string gauge on my Suhr from 10s to 11s. How many of you increase the string gauge on your Suhr after the factory setup (which is perfect!). The reason I have been reluctant is that this guitar is very nice with 10s and the setup is perfect and I didnt want to ruin a good thing. However, I would love 11s on this, or maybe a hybrid set with heavy tops and lighter bottoms for a beefier feel. Any experiences??

2. Zelmo

Zelmo Member

My guess is that it's no problem - perhaps a slight truss rod tweak. I would think the nut is cut sufficiently to handle the 11s.

You may be good right out of the gate, though.

3. jero

jero Member

I did this. I only added two trem springs (personal preference) and was ready to go.

4. greeny

greeny Member

I changed the guage on my Suhr T from 9 to 10s with just a slight tweak of the truss rod.

The only issue is that using the Suhr Truss rod Allen Key can be a bit challenging initially. Once you have the knack it's easy enough, but somtimes getting it to engage properly is tricky. If you have issues make sure there are no burrs on the business end of the key, somtimes just a light file of the end helps it locate easier.

5. Sunil

Sunil Gold Supporting Member

I have a Scott Henderson (Classic) model that had 10s. I recently had it set up for Eb tuning with 11s. My tech said the only thing it needed was a slight truss rod tweak and raise in action. No nut cut was necessary. Plays beautifully!

6. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

At one point last year I put .11s on my Classic which came with .10s. All it took was a slight truss rod tweak and to install another trem spring. No problems. Nut slots are cut big enough for the larger strings. Have since changed back to .10s due to personal preference.