Suhr singlecut launched at NAMM?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dudu, Jan 22, 2018.

1. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

I really dig his playing. What’s the sig body shape?

2. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

superstratjunky and redgold like this.
  3. Chippertheripper

Chippertheripper Supporting Member

Cool. I’m not really up on the boutique stuff. You see fano doing headstock a like that, but I have yet to see the Suhr. Clearly from your avatar, it’s something you’re familiar with.
    Cheers, and thanks for the insight.

4. tnvol

tnvol Ufologist

The Goldtop is pretty sweet!!

superstratjunky and Phil M like this.
  5. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

His dad bought it new. Not sure of the exact model but it's a Selmer Jubilee edition. I just checked the prices and they START at $7,549 for the gold lacquer version. The gold-plated version goes for $18,359!

It was a good investment, though, because he just made All State band in Texas 6A high school competition, ranking 1st in his area (there are only 8 areas in the state)

superstratjunky likes this.
  6. sws1

sws1 Member

Suhr needs to sell these guitars for whatever price he wants to. It's his business. What he doesn't need to do is price it to what people wining on an internet forum want...unless he wants to.

superstratjunky and rsm like this.
  7. HERSCHEL

HERSCHEL Member

It's a tool/toy, PLAY IT! Gear is a crappy investment, it's meant to be played.

Hugh DaMann and coldengray like this.
  8. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Who's to say their squier/epiphone/agile WON'T sound and play better (to them)? We're all different, and we DON'T all like the exact same things.....

Gas Hed, rsm and HERSCHEL like this.
  9. HERSCHEL

HERSCHEL Member

I do okay but I'm not about to tell people with less they're just lazy or stupid and everything is just "merit" because that's demonstrably false.

B Money, cutaway and rsm like this.
  10. rsm

rsm Member

may want to read what I wrote again? a few of the words you use I did not use.

I disagree, "merit", while not responsible all success, is responsible for much success than failure, maybe if we reinforced the value of merit, taking responsibility for one's self, etc., there'd be more success and opportunity? let's just give everyone a trophy, so everyone feels good?

crap can be thrown in many directions, just sayin'.

HERSCHEL likes this.
  11. HERSCHEL

HERSCHEL Member

The price is interesting. The collectible market is for suckers and "custom shop"/"boutique" guitar prices are pretty ridiculous when you think about it, but it's not out-of-line with any of them. My hope is that whomever ends up with them actually plays them, especially out.
    [​IMG]
    ...even if they get a slight buckle rash. :D

12. rsm

rsm Member

I'll have my Aura in snow white, with a Floyd. I'm good with basswood, so mine will cost less ;)

freedom's door and Gas Hed like this.
  13. Gas Hed

Gas Hed Member

Agreed...I imagine it is an interesting balance for Suhr between the business aspect and the satisfaction of sharing amazing instruments with the masses.

rsm likes this.
  14. magnus

magnus Member

Actually the Landau headstock is slightly different from the hybrid. The hybrid is available with or without the step. At least it has before, I have the hybrid without step on my Classic Antique from 2012.

15. BMX

BMX Supporting Member

Yes, the world is a meritocracy, except some people are born on 3rd base while others aren't told where the ballpark is...

16. rsm

rsm Member

I like that there's a first-release, limited run, with production to follow. I think it gives anyone who wants one the opp?

I have 2 Jackson JS32 series Warriors (inexpensive guitars), they offer higher cost versions too. It's good to have options / choices at different price points IMO.

17. rsm

rsm Member

last I checked, life isn't fair. never has been, never will be. no guarantees or entitlements. no apologies.

Easier to be envious than responsible, or so it seems.

IME/IMO/YMMV

superstratjunky and Aardvark like this.
  18. Aardvark

Aardvark Silver Supporting Member

You seem bitter that there is a free market where people may charge and purchase as they wish. I never felt that John was obliged to build me exactly what I wanted at a price point I got to choose. Rather, for the sake of his family, he should charge what the market will bear. If it's out of your price range, there are plenty of other options on the market. A lot of things in this world are out of my price range, but I'm not resentful toward the manufacturers or the buyers.

19. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

Looks great to me. Would love to try one to see how it sounds. I’m not in for the limited run, but I look forward to what comes after.

Would like to see either a pro or custom Special-style version down the road. Pro without SSC2 probably and custom with. Would prefer stainless frets. A pro Special or Junior style should be a really affordable guitar. I love really fat junior necks so hopefully that is available maybe in the pro.

Would be interesting to see what @Husky does for a wrap bridge. Compensated or adjustable?

Really really dig the knob placement.

20. BMX

BMX Supporting Member

Well we're getting into things that have no place being discussed in a Suhr thread so ultimately we'll have to agree to disagree. I guess I'd just caution that I think it's dangerous promoting explicitly or implicitly the existence of a meritocracy to any extent (even an "unfair" one) as it serves as cover for the microscopic population of individuals that increasingly gobble up a larger and larger amount of the wealth. By implying that people can "make it" if they just take responsibility, accept life isn't fair, work hard, eat their broccoli etc. is to not acknowledge the reality that for most people there is currently no opportunity to go up a single rung on the ladder no matter what efforts they put forth. You need luck or the system needs to change. You can either carry water for the lucky few or acknowledge reality and push for meaningful change.