Suhr SL-68 cabinet recommendation

kruts

Hi,

Has anyone tried the Suhr SL-68 (or another similar marshallesque amp) with a Suhr PT 2x12 cabinet loaded with G12H-75 creambacks? If so, did you like the sound? Or would the G12M-65 creamback be more suitable?

I'm looking to get a great classic rock sound with my SL68 cranked going into a 2x12 cabinet. I have a power attentuator/load to tame the volume down before it hits the cabinet. I am not interested in 4x12 cabinets. I would consider two 1x12 cabinets as well (EVH G12H30 speakers).

I've listened to countless clips of G12M, Heritage G12M, EVH, G12H30, G12M-65, G12-65, G12H-75, V30, etc. How different would a G12H-75 be in comparison to the G12M-65 with the Suhr SL-68?

Any recommendations from the community would be appreciated!

Thanks

rburkard

Double Platinum Member
For the Suhr SL 68 or SL67 you can't go wrong with either the G12H or the G12M Creambacks. The H types are significantly louder and therefore you might have to reduce the amps' volume depending on where you use it. The M types might allow you to turn up the amp a little more, which is what I would prefer if high volume is a problem. What the other M type Celestions are concerned, they lack the bottom in a 2x12 cab that the G12M Creambacks provide. However all these speakers will work fine and offer various flavors of Celestion signatures.

kruts

For the Suhr SL 68 or SL67 you can't go wrong with either the G12H or the G12M Creambacks. The H types are significantly louder and therefore you might have to reduce the amps' volume depending on where you use it. The M types might allow you to turn up the amp a little more, which is what I would prefer if high volume is a problem. What the other M type Celestions are concerned, they lack the bottom in a 2x12 cab that the G12M Creambacks provide. However all these speakers will work fine and offer various flavors of Celestion signatures.

Are the G12H-75 creambacks similar to a V30 or more similar to a greenback in terms of the frequency range? I want to stray away from V30 "type" of speakers for the SL68...

Thanks!

sinasl1

Hi,

Has anyone tried the Suhr SL-68 (or another similar marshallesque amp) with a Suhr PT 2x12 cabinet loaded with G12H-75 creambacks? If so, did you like the sound? Or would the G12M-65 creamback be more suitable?

I'm looking to get a great classic rock sound with my SL68 cranked going into a 2x12 cabinet. I have a power attentuator/load to tame the volume down before it hits the cabinet. I am not interested in 4x12 cabinets. I would consider two 1x12 cabinets as well (EVH G12H30 speakers).

I've listened to countless clips of G12M, Heritage G12M, EVH, G12H30, G12M-65, G12-65, G12H-75, V30, etc. How different would a G12H-75 be in comparison to the G12M-65 with the Suhr SL-68?

Any recommendations from the community would be appreciated!

Thanks
I'll tell you what I would do – I was just out at Celestion in the UK, and I tested a whole bunch of speakers. That new neo Creamback is exceptional, absolutely great, I listened right next to a green back and I swear it sounds more like the greenback than the creamback 65. And someways I actually liked it better than the greenback it sounded like a slightly less edgy more broken in version of the same speaker ! I was really blown away by it and I want to try some in the PT 2- 12. Of course there is a huge weight benefit also!

kruts

I'll tell you what I would do – I was just out at Celestion in the UK, and I tested a whole bunch of speakers. That new neo Creamback is exceptional, absolutely great, I listened right next to a green back and I swear it sounds more like the greenback than the creamback 65. And someways I actually liked it better than the greenback it sounded like a slightly less edgy more broken in version of the same speaker ! I was really blown away by it and I want to try some in the PT 2- 12. Of course there is a huge weight benefit also!

Thanks sinasl1! I was impressed with the neo Creamback that I heard from the online clips. Going this route I would need to find a 2x12 cabinet and do a speaker swap... since I would assume most cabinets do not come stock with neo creambacks. I'm up in Canada, so finding an empty 2x12 cabinet is tough... so that is why I'm considering a PT 2-12 since there are a couple available (with the G12H-75 creamback speakers). I could also consider the EVH 2x12 (with G12H30 and swap them out for the neo creambacks).

Questions -
Do you think the G12H-75 creamback speaker would be too modern sounding for the SL68?

Am I better off going with an oversized cabinet (like PT 2-12) instead of a EVH 2x12?

Thanks

Last edited:

rburkard

Double Platinum Member
Are the G12H-75 creambacks similar to a V30 or more similar to a greenback in terms of the frequency range? I want to stray away from V30 "type" of speakers for the SL68...

Thanks!
They are definitely much more in the greenback than in the V30 camp.

Roe

Personally, I like the M/H combo. Also the V-type works well with these amps and it also works well in combo with the H75 creamback

James_E

Silver Supporting Member
I have the pt100 2x12 cabinet you mention in the OP. I pair it with my sl67 head. Sounds great. If you are in the toronto area you are welcome to come try it out.

kruts

keep in mind that a 100w plexi can eat speakers. two 60w speakers may not be safe

True, however I am taming the SL68 volume by setting it on the variac position (90V) with the master (PPIMV) between 7-8, and a suhr reactive load with the SL68 set to 8 ohms. This goes into a power amp and I've got the Suhr Reactive Load level at 9 o'clock. I think I'm under 50 Watts no problem with this setup... those neo creambacks are rated at 60W a speaker. BTW, I wasn't considering using the G12H30 speakers in the EVH 2x12... I would swap those out for neo creambacks or G12M-65 creambacks so that my 2x12 is rated over 100W.

Reactions: Roe

kruts

I have the pt100 2x12 cabinet you mention in the OP. I pair it with my sl67 head. Sounds great. If you are in the toronto area you are welcome to come try it out.

Wow, this is great! I was hoping someone had a SLxx with a pt100 cabinet. Unfortunately I'm in BC and flights are expensive :) Thanks for the offer though!

kruts

Personally, I like the M/H combo. Also the V-type works well with these amps and it also works well in combo with the H75 creamback

funny, I had the same thought/question this morning, about mixing a G12H-75 creamback with a G12M-65 creamback. Or mixing a G12H-75 creamback with EVH/Neo creamback, and then picking up a second 2x12 cabinet (unloaded) later in the future for a W/D/W setup (which I've never tried before).

Picking up the Suhr PT2-12 might give me a bit of options in the future. Budget isn't really a concern.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roe

Roe

Ok, that's good to know. The clips of the G12H-75 creambacks sounded a little scooped and aggressive like V30s.

yes, but they are still much more like a G12H Greenback/creamback or even blackback. These big magnet speakers sound good with superleads, esp. with the variac engaged

ufguy73

Gold Supporting Member

pete - did you get a chance to try the creamback alnico?

i know some folks are also using that speaker, in place of greenbacks, in their M-type amps.

GaryMcT

Platinum Supporting Member
Celestion alnico creams are fantastic in a 2x12 with a plexi-style amp. They handle 90 watts each too. I have a couple in a Kracke 2x12 with a Kracke Plexi 50 head and they sound fantastic.

sinasl1

Thanks sinasl1! I was impressed with the neo Creamback that I heard from the online clips. Going this route I would need to find a 2x12 cabinet and do a speaker swap... since I would assume most cabinets do not come stock with neo creambacks. I'm up in Canada, so finding an empty 2x12 cabinet is tough... so that is why I'm considering a PT 2-12 since there are a couple available (with the G12H-75 creamback speakers). I could also consider the EVH 2x12 (with G12H30 and swap them out for the neo creambacks).

Questions -
Do you think the G12H-75 creamback speaker would be too modern sounding for the SL68?

Am I better off going with an oversized cabinet (like PT 2-12) instead of a EVH 2x12?

Thanks
So hard to says far as what you'll like for speakers ultimately, I like greenbacks for a plexi because they "filter" the tone in such a way that it just sounds great to me. Creamback 75 is such a nice speaker, not my favorite for a plexi (because it's bolder, more highs etc) but if you use mormal channel/blended channels a lot, and cleaner tones, could be the right call! I have not tried an EVH 2-12".

sinasl1

Celestion alnico creams are fantastic in a 2x12 with a plexi-style amp. They handle 90 watts each too. I have a couple in a Kracke 2x12 with a Kracke Plexi 50 head and they sound fantastic.
Yes I could see that sounding good- those alnico creams are SWEET.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom