Suhr sl67. Germino lead 55 or dirty shirley

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Chance Terrill, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

I have a couple posts whining about how to my dsl40cr. Just doesn't sound quality I looked at a couple cheaper options runt 50 maybe a splawn sr or ss el34. But I ultimately think a single Channel plexi style amp. With a klon type pedal will give me what I need. Jimish cleans acdc / zz/ zep crunch the pedal to get to aic and tool between these three what are the pros cons of each. Which is most volume versatile. Or with attenuation will they be managble? Only the ds has fx loop. Is this necessary. I do like to use my dispatch Master when needed will it sound poopy through the front? I heard power section drive and loops don't get along? Idk. If anyone has any experience between the three please let me know as to shed some light.

2. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

Lots of questions. I know. I'm new to forums and all the options and information makes my ocd go crazy. (not the pedal my brain)

Miketheslav and Ryno1331 like this.
  3. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

I hate when things get poopy in the front

eigentone and stephen78 like this.
  4. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

If the power tubes are cranked into overdrive, reverb and delay will distort regardless of where they're placed. For tube amps cranked to 10, better just add delay & reverb at the mixing console. Unless you love gnarly reverb.

Kriig and Dannyz like this.
  5. Defendant

Defendant Member

I know two of those amps: sl67 and DS.

The DS has the better cleans, and is fatter.

The SL is a straight up plexi lead, brighter overall.

For your needs I’d say DS.

Ryno1331 likes this.
  6. natemeanie

natemeanie Supporting Member

Have the DS, and have had a Germino and other Plexi style heads with PPIMV. I’d say all 3 are fantastic, but the DS would suit your needs best - especially if low volume is necessary. The master on the DS is great, where as I’ve always found the PPIMV on a Plexi circuit works best at shaving off a few DBs, and can sound anemic at lower volumes.

vdoochild7 and Ryno1331 like this.
  7. Ryno1331

Ryno1331 Supporting Member

Make me a 3rd to say the DS aounds like the best fit for your style. Plus the effects loop is great and you can put the dispatch master there.

8. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

Is it pretty close to legitimate acdc tone?

9. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

The sl67 sounds mint in the clips I've listened to. N it has a variac? So I thought I'd ve able to get it sounding good at low volumes. I've actually played the ds and it is awesome. But I didn't quite seem plexi maybe I'm just dumb.... The sl seemed to have that plexi sound...... Will either the sl67 or dirty shirley take boosts. Drives and things of that nature? Fuzz wah etc

10. ThePK

ThePK Member

What about the Friedman Smallbox? As great as the DS is, it seems like the Smallbox would be an even better fit for what you're looking for.
    Could easily be used as a one channel amp if that's what you're after.

NamaEnsou and Ryno1331 like this.
  11. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

I think you'll have to choose between a super lead style amp and a modded jtm45 style amp. There is no right or wrong choice. But it's a different concept, one to the other.

Then after that you need to decide what feature set most closely matches your needs. Those amps vary radically in feature sets, so they are not apples to apples that way either.

I can offer that, as a DS40 owner, that amp would certainly fit all the kinds of music you named very well. But it is a fatter, more universal sound than the biting mids and high mids of the SL circuits you are considering. Depends which British tones are more important to you. And what kinds of versatility do you want?

I believe no one should tell you which amp to get based on which they think is "cooler". It's too impportant of a decision for that, and I would first determine my needs, then choose based on that. But I believe in getting it right the first time as much as possible, to save time and money.

Those amps are so different, I would think they would sort themselves practically.

Gasp100 and NamaEnsou like this.
  12. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

I assure you the DS40 can nail all the bands he listed. Those are right in the wheelhouse. Not saying a Smallbox would not fit that material. It's a question of flavor.

ThePK likes this.
  13. ThePK

ThePK Member

I agree, and the DS40 is magnificent :)

The OP said that he played the DS and that it "didn't quite seem plexi", which prompted the suggestion to check out the Smallbox, which has a bit more of that character to my ears. Hard to go wrong between those two.

NamaEnsou and jimijimmyjeffy like this.
  14. Ryno1331

Ryno1331 Supporting Member

It sounds you need to decide whether you want a true plexi or not. If so, the DS is out. If not, the DS will be more versatile.

Then you need to decide how important low volume playing is to you. I can't speak for the Suhr but the Germino and almost all plexis need volume to do their thing. For playing at home most want an attenuator with a plexi.

Or as another mentioned a smallbox might be a good middle ground. Good luck.

15. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

It is possible to nail ACDC if you dial the DS40 in to a raw sound. Legit for sure. Angus used a jtm45 quite often.

16. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

Well the small box seemed to smooth to me. It doesn't have that oh **** this amps gonna blow up thing at least I didn't get that vibe. I had the runt 50 for a minute and didn't care for it. Sounded thin and to idk how to word it...... Nice? It didnt have that hair or that really percussive sound that plexis do and it didn't clean up like the ds. So I kind of feared the small box is very close to that tone. I'm more looking for a plexi tone that. Will clean up very well with guit vol. And be jimi clean. Then roll to angus and smash the input for Jerry Cantrell and lead stuff or if I get an urge to summon demons with evil sounding chug riffs push it even harder. But mainly use angus tone as core tone

17. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

Can the ds be eq d to be more sl sounding. Bass down. Mids dimed and presence high?

18. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

Only down side is I have no way to play the sl67 or germino I do have access to friedman stuff and of all the friedman stuff shirley seemed most vintage classic rock to me

19. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

As far as online clips. The suhr67 has exactly the tone I'm looking for. I would wager to say that it's in the top 3 best sounding amps I've ever heard demoed but it may not sound like that in person. I would say the shirley clips are close and sound great. But not as good as the suhr. Imo. But the ds has loop n awesome master. It's also a couple hundred more

20. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

. My needs are jimi and frusciante Marshall cleans with guitar volume. Spot on zz top zep. And most importantly to me angus tone. Then. Being able to get into metal stuff with pedals klon type or boosts or even ts I work my ass off as a subcontractor. So whatever I buy has to be The does everything I want amp cuz it will be a looooooooong time before I can buy another one....... I just almost answered my own question while posting. Seems like. The. Ds will be an all around great plexi tone that will naill acdc. N jimi. N can also get heavier but has nice master for home noodling and fx loop....... Will it TRULEY nail acdc though. Like spot on? If I dime mids cut bass n run presence up a little with gain low n volume blasted pushing 5881s into juicy organic power amp sat?