Suhr sl67. Germino lead 55 or dirty shirley

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Chance Terrill, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Ryno1331

Ryno1331 Supporting Member

We just want to hear more clips when you get the gear on place - you can play! I'll put a watch on this thread. Come back and post clips in the future.

jimijimmyjeffy likes this.
  2. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Perhaps Jim @Scumback Speakers, could explain, as the reason I didn't order regular greenback types for my 212 was the experts telling me they would blow.

Always ready to learn. The OP is talking about essentially diming 40w to get old school NMV sounds, which would definitely be a good bit more than the stated wattage handling of the speakers.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  3. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

Telling you they will blow is also a way to sell speakers. I wouldn’t do it with vintage greenbacks, but new reissues, not an issue.

I had a Germino Lead 55 with a pair of greenbacks for years and never had a problem.

teveinsene likes this.
  4. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Please do not "accuse" Jim of that after I just flagged him to use valuable time to help us for free. I got zero sales pitch. Jim was not afraid to tell me I was on the wrong path on other gear things, but never in that way. The reason I went to Jim initially is that Celestion literally told me to make my own 55hz M speaker, and he already had them in stock. I learned a lot from Jim because he was generous with his time. My mind was already made up to buy from him, because Celestion doesn't sell bass cone greenbacks like they did in the old days.

davidespinosa likes this.
  5. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

You read an awful lot into that. Look if a guy like Germino tells me I’ll be fine with a pair of reissue greenbacks with my lead 55 or Master Lead 55 and I have have not a problem for years, I think I’m good.

The ratings for new Celestions are conservative. I have tried tons of other speakers in Marshall type amps and always come back to the G12m Celestion.

This cab is loaded with greenbacks.
    Those are 50 watt heads sitting there. I gig these several times a month, have blasted them full out too.

BADHAK, mcuguitar and teveinsene like this.
  6. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Like I said, I like to learn new things. If Germino recommended those speakers they must be fine. I'm trying to help the OP not regret anything, though and don't want to be responsible for bad advice. Nor do I want to send bad vibes to someone who has only sent good vibes our way over the years.

7. sinasl1

sinasl1 Supporting Member

Just for the record, one of the top guys at Celestion told me that two of their 25 w greenbacks would be fine with a 50 W amp. In other words, they rate them conservatively – that’s what they say. I have 2 GB’s in a 2-12” that I have used for years with all kinds of amplifiers, I’ve beat them up pretty good and I’ve never had an issue. Having said that Jim at SB has always recommended to me – twice the amount of speaker power handling than the amplifiers RMS rating. So, take all that for what it’s worth. I am interested in how those 55 Hz GB style speakers sound, how do you like em?

8. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

9. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

I will definatly post clips I think I will be able to finance the shirley Thursday and am planning on getting a g212 sig cab with conversion board from avatar since money will be stupid tight. And acdc classic rock is the tone I desire..... I am going to try 2 Chinese greenies. I want to get two j75 scumbacks. But. That takes the cab from 600 shipped to about 900 shipped so maybe in time I'll get the scums as well in their own 2x12 n run them both but for now I'm gonna go with what every classic rocker from the late 60s and early 70s chose. The fabled greenback..........p.s. I don't know what u guys are smoking because I suck at guitar lol....... But getting a compliment from a musician means about 300 times as much as getting one from a regular person so thank u to all who have said I can play well. It means alot especially when I think I'm terrible at everything. My guitarist tells me I'm amazing at singing yet everytime I record I want to blow my brains out when i hear my own voice. Sounds like a dying moose

jimijimmyjeffy likes this.
  10. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Wonderful. Hendrix used something like em, which I'm 99.99% sure you know, along with Paul Kossof and I believe Duane Allman.

They fill in the low mids for a strat in maybe a similar way to adding a humbucker, or towards that.

The highs are sweet. It handles the bass gracefully without flub, being a bass cone I guess.

When I isolate that speaker and compare it to the m75 (with my Dirty Shirley 40), the m55 sounds flat out better with my strat, in a balanced manner. I haven't worked up the courage to make a pure 55hz cab, but I think I will. The famous night "Hendrix cut Clapton" onstage, I believe was through a cab of all 55s, Jack Bruce's bass amp.

My strat, through the m55/m75 mix sounds more like a les Paul or SG through lead cone greenies; than my strat through actual lead cone greenies, for example, for playing ACDC with a strat. This is how I can ignore the guy making fun of me for using a my strat to play ACDC, as he doesn't know about this.

So it kind of equalizes things for my strat. So I came to believe everyone who plays a lot of strat should at least be aware of them as an option.

The other thing is that when you combine it with an m75, the whole midrange is boosted, not just the high mids, which is certainly a musical option to know about. The tube screamer of speaker combos, lol. And yet the bass is surprisingly tight for a bass cone. I think the M magnet in combination with graceful frequency handling is responsible for that.

BTW, Pete, thank you for your demos of the Scumbacks, which were my guide initially. Your PVC demo was particularly amazing to hear, that woodiness, along with the killer little riff you played, which I think you later turned into a track...

GaryMcT likes this.
  11. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

They're all great. The only disadvantage of the Friedman is the infantile name.

12. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Almost every good musician I've met has a part of them that thinks they suck, even if just in some ways. So I don't believe you, lol.

GaryMcT likes this.
  13. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

If I get a 2x12 with Chinese green backs n they blow Ill cry in the fetal position and hold u all accountable for not yelling at me to get creambacks lol..... Everyone I've asked (speaker guys). N Dave friedman himself have said go with 2 greenbacks for my desired tone. When asked they all seemed to thing 2 greenbacks will handle it unless I dime the amp for hours n hours everyday

Ryno1331 likes this.
  14. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Absolute nonsense.

simastic likes this.
  15. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

tell that to Jim at Scumback since you know more than him, lol. He only makes a living building speakers.

16. Braciola

First off, Jim didn't post it, you did.
    Second, how do you know what I know?

It just so happens I know quite a bit about speakers.
    I used to own my own speaker reconing business back in the early 80's, almost 40 years ago.
    I've pulled apart hundreds of blown / defective speakers and rebuilt them.
    I then went on to working on my own design (that was later taken and used by another company) that greatly reduced a speakers efficiency by manipulating voice coil placement, and a few other tricks I won't mention as no one else has yet to either discover or perfect them.

Sadly due to health issues involving my central nervous system from direct contact to the highly toxic chemicals I was using, I had to close up shop.

That said, sure it's "safer" to use a speaker with a higher wattage rating, but what you posted - "The rule of thumb is to double the wattage of your amp to get the correct speaker wattage handling" is simply overkill.
    You need also to consider that when speaking with Jim, the fact that he sells higher powered Greenbacks ;)

[​IMG]

17. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

Agree, if you want Plexi base tones the SV20H is better than the DS Mini. I assume the full Dirty Shirley has more oomph, and it's definitely more versatile. It's also much fatter / thicker and does not have that Marshall bite in the upper mids.
    The SV20H is loud as hell and has excellent Plexi style tones. Also is great with pedals, as is the DSM.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Plexi68 and Braciola like this.
  18. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Take it up with Jim if you want. If you don't believe he said it consistently look at Pete's post above where he confirms Jim has always told him that as well.

As far as credibility, I go by demonstrated behavior over time. Jim has been a total gentleman and scholar as far as I am concerned, for the years I have known him. To me he is the world's best.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Scumback Speakers likes this.
  19. Braciola

I have nothing to take up with Jim.
    I have my own experience and my own opinions, thank you.

20. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Not interested.