Suhr SL67 vs Badger 35

Grondon

I'm a Suhr fan and I'd like to know what is your opinion between those amps. they are both a British style amp but which one is better?

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
I'm not sure the SL67 has shipped yet?
Very different amps at anyrate.

Better is far too subjective. More appropriate question would be, which fits your needs better, and what needs do you have?

Grondon

I already have 2 amps but the are different styles. A Mesa Mark V and a Port City Pearl. I'm looking for some british gain and I don't know which one fits better. Yes, it hasn't shipped yet.

Husky

I'm a Suhr fan and I'd like to know what is your opinion between those amps. they are both a British style amp but which one is better?
Better is not a word I'd use. Very different amps. The Badger is really not "british" by design but the SL67 certainly is. The SL67 is an amazing pedal platform and quite a bit bigger sounding than any lower wattage amp I have ever heard. It does not however have the effects loop, power scaling and extra preamp gain. Simply amazing for vintage tones ala Hendrix, old ZZTop, Mountain, Cream type tones. Really fun and inspiring to play, When I play it I don't want to stop. In fact I'm certainly taking one home to build my pedalboard rig around. The Badger is probably still better suited for very low volume playing especially if you are not so much of a pedal guy. If you are an old guy like me or like to get most of your clean / crunch and dynamics from the volume control and the dynamics of your attack that is where the SL67 shines and at a reasonable volume. Just not as low volume as the Badgers.

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
john, is the difference between the sl67 and sl68 the typical/expected differences between a 50w and 100w marshall?

Husky

john, is the difference between the sl67 and sl68 the typical/expected differences between a 50w and 100w marshall?
No not really, I changed things so it really sounds close to the SL68.
It has a ridiculous about of low end punch even when running in 20W. Usually the punch and low end is the first thing to go away but not with this one. I dont feel a loss of anything, just a little volume.
It might have a tad more gain on tap and is easier to play than the big boy. Gigging with this amp would be perfect even with the Master on 10.

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
I would think the Badger might be just a tiny bit closer to the SL67 than the Badger 35. Still very different amps, but I hear/feel a bit more Brit/M style out of the 30 with the EL34s and a bit more Vox flavor with the 35.

sinasl1

Silver Supporting Member
I would think the Badger might be just a tiny bit closer to the SL67 than the Badger 35. Still very different amps, but I hear/feel a bit more Brit/M style out of the 30 with the EL34s and a bit more Vox flavor with the 35.

Yes I'd say correct, but the 67 is still its own thing. Badgers are that cathode bias thing, smoother and great at edge of breakup, real versatile. It's just a different thing

braddles4

Hi John

I recently bought a Suhr C1 and love it! Most of my Fender Strats will be sold shortly.

If you are just playing at home, which Suhr amp would you choose? I would like an amp with a Marshall flavour (Hendrix, AC/DC, etc). I am deciding between a Corso and Badger, but haven't ruled out the SL67.

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
im sure john will be along but i have to say even the sl68 ounds great at lower volumes.

i have an attenuator but the master on that amp is crazy effective that a lot of times thats all i use to control the volume. i dont know why it works so well but it does, even compared to other seemingly similar ppimv (or whatever order those letters are supposed to go in :))

witht he release of the sl67, i would think that would work really well.

sinasl1

Silver Supporting Member
Hi John

I recently bought a Suhr C1 and love it! Most of my Fender Strats will be sold shortly.

If you are just playing at home, which Suhr amp would you choose? I would like an amp with a Marshall flavour (Hendrix, AC/DC, etc). I am deciding between a Corso and Badger, but haven't ruled out the SL67.
Corso is SO fun. It's its own thing, it has a great tone, clean to dirty! SL67 has a GREAT master and in 20 watt mode, it's still loud but easily tamed with the master.

I'll have a nice demo done in a few weeks, of it, and I'll try and demonstrate the master used for "home" volume.

Husky

Hi John

Well I'm going to use it at home but in a different way then just plugging it in straight to the cab.
I'm used to the Big stereo Rig even when futzing around at home.
I'm going to run it in to a reactive load, then the rest of my Eventide line level pedals Pitch factor, Time factor, and Space and in to a stereo power amp (trying a matrix) and two 1x12s.
This way I can have "the tone" at any volume I desire and all the time based effects will come AFTER distortion. :rocking

I'm also happy with a Badger but the 67 for my particular tastes of growing up with early cream, ZZtop Tres Hombres, Hendrix and any of that classic rock the SL67 is just as good as it gets (for me).

bdm

Silver Supporting Member
I wish I could have the chance to plug into a sl67!

Based on what I hear in the online demos of the SL68 and the features particular to the SL67 I can't imagine a more appropriate amp to my playing and taste.

Thing is, I'd have to sell both of my current Marshalls to even get into the price range of a new SL67.

Sight unseen (or sound unheard) it's just too hard to make that leap.

andyk

Silver Supporting Member
Here ya go- my SL67 demo :)
Awesome tone! And that new tune WILL be bought by me! Killer crunchy palm muted goodness!

What speakers are you going through, and, what was the PPIMV set to?? When you did the brown tone, with the amp dimed - master volume, or no???

calieng

Awesome tone! And that new tune WILL be bought by me! Killer crunchy palm muted goodness!

What speakers are you going through, and, what was the PPIMV set to?? When you did the brown tone, with the amp dimed - master volume, or no???
I think Pete could make any amp sound good with any speaker.

Great demo.

I have the PT-100, SE100, and Badger 18 and 30. Addictive amps to own. And top notch tones.