• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Suhr Sl68 - best thing ever!

jhsg

Hello all

I have used a lot of amps in a lot of different situations from studios to live to playing at home with a baby sleeping in the next room. Besides the elusive vh4 I think I've owned or had extensive experience with most popular boutique amps.

Recently I went out and bought a Suhr SL68. From the first moment I turned this thing on it blew me away. It has some serious mojo and presence. I've found some seriously lush overdriven tones thanks to the excellent master volume which allows volume to stay low. I've also found another major strength in its clean tone and it's excellent ability to take pedals.

For most applications at the moment I'm plugging into the input 2 high impedence (top right input) and setting the amp to a warm clean tone with a little edgyness. Im then throwing a BE-OD for higher gain and a OCD for crunch with some strymon effects in between gain and the amp.

How are other people using the amp? I've not seen many people using input 2 which I find interesting as it produces the perfect clean.

Thanks Suhr for the SL68. Legendary amp.

tone?

Killer amps.

I have a Germino headroom 100 and when I run a boost pedal ( my bbpreamp ) I either put it in the front channel but keep the volume at around 7-8 to keep the headroom of the amp.
I also love adding that pedal on the darker channels as well for blues

And of course the amp with no pedals.
Can't beat the harmonic complexity and perfect mids of a killer plexi.

Congrats !

jhsg

It would be great to hear how Pete Thorn set his sl68's up when he was using them live. Does anyone know?

tone?

Because if you are you are not hearing the amp in all its glory.

The ppimv is great but you aren't getting all the power section gain and sag.

Best way to hear this amp is with the Suhr reactive load and then slaved into another amps fx loop with a delay or reverb. Or into the load and out to your daw with IRs.
You will shiiit

jhsg

Because if you are you are not hearing the amp in all its glory.

The ppimv is great but you aren't getting all the power section gain and sag.

Best way to hear this amp is with the Suhr reactive load and then slaved into another amps fx loop with a delay or reverb. Or into the load and out to your daw with IRs.
You will shiiit

Yeah, I've spent some time using it with the PPIMV master at 10. I was using a rock crusher studio to make sure I didn't do structural damage to the studio. :D

While it doesn't need any pedals or boost I found the koko boost really brought out some great tones.

tone?

The Rockcrusher is good and I had it. But the Suhr reactive load is much better. The rockcrusher messes with the mids and highs a bit.

But with it you are totally hearing the way that amp was meant to be.

Yeah pedals are great to have a more modern sound

It's seriously difficult to better a plexi for rock and hard rock tones.

Enjoy that sucker !

jhsg

Thanks mate.

I might have to look into getting a Suhr reactive load. It's just the IR situation and having to run into a computer / DAW that turned me off a bit.

tone?

No man. It's a killer piece of gear.
What other amps do you have?

You can run the plexi into the load out to fx pedals such as delay or reverb and into the fx loop of another amp to use its power amp.
Sounds silly good.

jhsg

No man. It's a killer piece of gear.
What other amps do you have?
Cool, I might sell my rock crusher and buy one. I haven't been using the rock crusher that much anyway.

I have a Suhr badger 30 and a Krank Chadwick. The Badger's quality goes without saying but the Chadwick is a great amp that's worth a look.

BADHAK

Hello all

I have used a lot of amps in a lot of different situations from studios to live to playing at home with a baby sleeping in the next room. Besides the elusive vh4 I think I've owned or had extensive experience with most popular boutique amps.

Recently I went out and bought a Suhr SL68. From the first moment I turned this thing on it blew me away. It has some serious mojo and presence. I've found some seriously lush overdriven tones thanks to the excellent master volume which allows volume to stay low. I've also found another major strength in its clean tone and it's excellent ability to take pedals.

For most applications at the moment I'm plugging into the input 2 high impedence (top right input) and setting the amp to a warm clean tone with a little edgyness. Im then throwing a BE-OD for higher gain and a OCD for crunch with some strymon effects in between gain and the amp.

How are other people using the amp? I've not seen many people using input 2 which I find interesting as it produces the perfect clean.

Thanks Suhr for the SL68. Legendary amp.

HNAD

IMO you're wasting the amp using it that way. At least get moderate crunch from the amp and then use a boost for solos/heavy.

jhsg

HNAD

IMO you're wasting the amp using it that way. At least get moderate crunch from the amp and then use a boost for solos/heavy.
Yeah, I'm kinda doing that and was what I meant by 'clean with some edgy-ness'. Then with guitar volume I can go from nice clean to great edgy / low gain crunch. The OCD and BE pedals just boost it when I need to get into higher gain territory.

andyk

Silver Supporting Member
Pete Thorn gets some awesome tone out of his SL68 in the demo video he did. When he mentioned that the cabinet wasn't in the same room, it was then I figured out how he could dime the amp and get that killer crunch without blowing his brains out! Unless you can isolate the cab, you NEED to use that LarMar!

When you dime the master on a 100 watt head, the hiss you get with the volume OFF is too loud for me!

sinasl1

Hi guys, generally I'm running into top left input and running the volume anywhere from 4-8 or so. I use the master A LOT and 90v mode. Presence on 4 to 8 depending, bass usually on 4 or 5, mids dimed, treble from 5-7 depending. Sometimes I jumper to ch 2 and blend it in a bit for that fatter thing.
Such a luscious lovely amp.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom