Suhr SSC is Amazing

calieng

I know this has been talked about in the past but I just got my first Suhr with the SSC system recently from a fellow forum member and all I can say is WOW.

I love single coil tones but have mostly bought humbucker guitars because I cannot stand the hum and have not really loved any of the other noiseless single coil systems or pickups.

This Suhr is dead quiet. The single coils are actually quieter than the humbucker in the same guitar. And I cannot tell any difference in tone - simply amazing. The more people learn about this system and the new SSC II the more other builders are going to have to step up and adopt something similar. You just will never want a noisy Strat again after trying this system.

Here's the guitar I just received with the SSC original system:

And here's one I just ordered from Eddie's with the new SSC II system and the antique finish:

I am so impressed that I am selling my other boutique and Fender Custom Shop Strats. I will not own a Strat without this system.

I'll report back on a comparison of the new system versus the original once the guitar from Eddie's arrives.

suckamc

It IS amazing. Illitch broke some serious ground, there. Props to Suhr for being so forward-looking while still nailing vintage vibe/tones.

calieng

I have 3 Ilitch systems......curious to hear about (and hopefully see) the "new" Suhr system

I talked to one of the guys at Suhr about it and it sounds like it is more of a noise canceling system where the 60 cycle hum is shifted 180 degrees out of phase with the original signal and overlapped to cancel each other out. Something like the headphones you use on an airplane to cancel the background noise. Don't quote me on that. I was just reading between the lines on what little he said about it and making some guesses. I'm sure the details are being kept to themselves for now.

The original system appears just to be an electromagnetic shielding system. I'm no expert...but it certainly works great.

brianr0131

I talked to one of the guys at Suhr about it and it sounds like it is more of a noise canceling system where the 60 cycle hum is shifted 180 degrees out of phase with the original signal and overlapped to cancel each other out. Something like the headphones you use on an airplane to cancel the background noise. Don't quote me on that. I was just reading between the lines on what little he said about it and making some guesses. I'm sure the details are being kept to themselves for now.

The original system appears just to be an electromagnetic shielding system. I'm no expert...but it certainly works great.

The original system is a low impedance coil that makes a similar noise which "cancels" the 60 cycle hum....same as their new system.

As I understand it, the new system is smaller but thicker. 9V battery size is what John said I think.

calieng

The original system is a low impedance coil that makes a similar noise which "cancels" the 60 cycle hum....same as their new system.

As I understand it, the new system is smaller but thicker. 9V battery size is what John said I think.

The original system coil is routed around the outside of the pickups so maybe the pickups are hearing the coil 180 degrees out of phase with the house electrical noise.

In the new system if it is that small it may be a dummy coil feeding a signal into a processor that is blending it out of phase or filtering it out somehow without the pickups themselves having to hear the dummy coil???

Just guessing.

I'm getting the new SSC II on my new Classic. According to the guys at Suhr, it's as good if not better than the original. Can't wait to try it out.

burningyen

The original system coil is routed around the outside of the pickups so maybe the pickups are hearing the coil 180 degrees out of phase with the house electrical noise.

In the new system if it is that small it may be a dummy coil feeding a signal into a processor that is blending it out of phase or filtering it out somehow without the pickups themselves having to hear the dummy coil???

Just guessing.
No need for a processor if the goal is to be 180 degrees out of phase. Just swap the wires and voila.

xroads

I have 3 Ilitch systems......curious to hear about (and hopefully see) the "new" Suhr system

Are you happy with these?

I have the original Suhr system in my Classic, and it is just fabulous. Just wondering if I should upgrade my other Strat with an Illitch system.

brianr0131

xroads said:
Are you happy with these?

I have the original Suhr system in my Classic, and it is just fabulous. Just wondering if I should upgrade my other Strat with an Illitch system.

Yes. They're identical to the Suhr backplates.

In fact Ilitch invented the system.

dayn

Silver Supporting Member
Is there a version for a hardtail? Any idea (or pic!) of the size (will I need to route or will it fit under the pickguard)?

calieng

Is there a version for a hardtail? Any idea (or pic!) of the size (will I need to route or will it fit under the pickguard)?

I think the original system is the only aftermarket version available right now. You would need to screw the backplate to the back of the guitar and drill a hole into the control cavity...probably not a good idea for a hardtail owner unless Suhr decides to sell the new SSC II system as an aftermarket part.

brianr0131

Ilitch system routing.....for size reference

LCNCSchannelC.jpg

brianr0131

Thanks for the info. I thought it was just a backplate system. Did not know they also sold the factory installed version. May look into that for one of my non-Suhr guitars.

They also make these for P90s......this was on my old TV Yellow Special

20110629100039154.jpg

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Platinum Supporting Member
I have the SSC n my Suhr T and love it. We play bars all the time with crappy power, constant single coil buzz, and this solved the problem.

The Suhr T pickups are great, and I love hearing them without the noise.

Joe Perry

Platinum Supporting Member
I have the "original" built in system in my two Suhr Antique classics and love it! Can't ever think of going back. I do have Tuttle S style nearing completion. I'm probably going to get the Illitch back plate for it at some point.

bobbymack

Silver Supporting Member
It does definitely spoil you...I now have at least 2 other Suhrs which I want to upfit -- but shipping them off for a month or two doesn't wow me.

Perhaps the greatest triumph of this system is evidenced in my MahoganyT with S-90s...incredible pickups (right up there with the best pair of Lollar P90s I've ever heard) -- without the P90 noise. Yes. Dead Quiet P90s when cranked wide open. Yup.

Calieng, I am glad you are so stoked on the Shoreline beauty I sent your way...enjoy it in good health. Sorry for the financial domino effect the SSC is having on you though ;-)

Husky

Nope sorry, wrong on both counts ;)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom