Suhr SSH+ and Aldrich pickups???

Wizard of Ozz

Silver Supporting Member
The Aldrich is one of my fav pups of all time. Hard to go wrong if playing classic/hard rock or metal.

highwaystar30

I had a set of Doug Aldrich buckers in a Les Paul. Sold them and went through the whole vintage PAF thing. Never was totally happy so I bought another DA bridge pup to mix with a vintage PAF neck and couldn't be happier!!
Similar experience, not a DA but another hot one, was the Les Paul a particularly bright one?

cvansickle

Silver Supporting Member
Dougies rule! I've got them in two Les Pauls and could easily get them into a third. Strong, loud sound, but never ever harsh.

aaronl

Supporting Member
Gonna resurrect a slightly older thread here.
I have a SG that I love its a 2017 pellham blue, came with 57s I did not love them.
I got some Porter Anthems and they were/are good
BUT
I am now sort of wanting to go a little hotter a little more aggressive
Maybe the SSH+ is what I am looking for?

My HSS Strat has Suhr pickups and it also features tricked out electronics. May want to look at the Pete Thorn Suhr pickups.

Humbucker = Suhr Pete Thorn "Thornbucker Plus"
Middle = Suhr V60LP
Neck = Suhr V60LP

Clean 2 & 4 positions are insane with the tone.

When you want to go dirty the Pete Thorn Humbucker fits the bill. It has clarity.

Fender Strat IG by https://www.flickr.com/photos/143276860@N04/, on Flickr

aaronl

Supporting Member
My HSS Strat has Suhr pickups and it also features tricked out electronics. May want to look at the Pete Thorn Suhr pickups.

Humbucker = Suhr Pete Thorn "Thornbucker Plus"
Middle = Suhr V60LP
Neck = Suhr V60LP

Clean 2 & 4 positions are insane with the tone.

When you want to go dirty the Pete Thorn Humbucker fits the bill. It has clarity.

Fender Strat IG by , on Flickr
The Thornbucker is for sure on the list.
IT's a PAF based right?

The Thornbucker is for sure on the list.
IT's a PAF based right?
I think so, John Suhr can confirm @Husky

The Aldrich was on top of my list but was too hot of pickup for my Strat and at the time the Thornbucker Plus had come out. I already liked the Thornbucker but Suhr made this one a tad hotter and warmer. You can actually play chords really dirty and hear every note.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Gold Supporting Member
I have a Suhr Modern with an Ash body with a Maple top and a Maple neck. You would think this combo would be super bright and more so with an SSH+. But, it isn't. It is very well balanced. It is a HSH configuration with a SSV in the neck and a ML in the middle position. I have owned quite a few Suhr guitars and have used Suhr pickups in other brand guitars. They really do know what they are doing!!
I am very content with the results.

I have a set of Thornbuckers in this beauty here, can confirm that they're amazing pickups. They sound great for a variety of applications, really very versatile pickups (and sound amazing split as well). I also have an Aldrich pickup in one of my LPs and it's terrific too. I personally like both of these way more than the SSH, SSV, and other models.

Kostas

Interesting.
I talked to a friend who said he tried Suhr pickups in various guitars but didn't like them, even though he loves them in Suhr guitars. He told me not to bother. He said they sound best and belong in Suhrs. Hmmm.
I won't even comment on that...

I have Suhr pickups in one of my Warmoth guitars. Two of my friends put Suhr pickups in their Warmoth guitars, all guitars sound great!

smallbutmighty

Supporting Member
I've got DA's in LP's and bolt-ons. Probably my favorite hard rock humbucker.

DA Bridge + SSV Neck is a great combo.

I have a set of Thornbuckers in this beauty here, can confirm that they're amazing pickups. They sound great for a variety of applications, really very versatile pickups (and sound amazing split as well). I also have an Aldrich pickup in one of my LPs and it's terrific too. I personally like both of these way more than the SSH, SSV, and other models.

Damn bro, that's sweet looking with the grain. That and Thornbuckers must be awesome.

Also wanted to add for the OP. Your Electronics have a lot to do with tone. When I swapped my stock MIM Fender Strat wiring harness with the Obsidian Harness with CTS 250K Pots, Treble Bleed, Blend Knob, Fabric on the wires, Russian Capacitors, etc. it made the stock MIM ceramic pickups sound amazing. I then added the Suhr pickups which really stepped up the tone game. Positions 2 & 4 clean are really clean and jangly. Dirt with the Thornbucker is tone gold. I used to have a bunch of covers on my YouTube channel with this guitar.

Damn bro, that's sweet looking with the grain. That and Thornbuckers must be awesome.

Also wanted to add for the OP. Your Electronics have a lot to do with tone. When I swapped my stock MIM Fender Strat wiring harness with the Obsidian Harness with CTS 250K Pots, Treble Bleed, Blend Knob, Fabric on the wires, Russian Capacitors, etc. it made the stock MIM ceramic pickups sound amazing. I then added the Suhr pickups which really stepped up the tone game. Positions 2 & 4 clean are really clean and jangly. Dirt with the Thornbucker is tone gold. I used to have a bunch of covers on my YouTube channel with this guitar.
Thanks! It's not grain actually, it's Suhr's "black sparkle drip" finish. I can never do it justice in any photos, one of the wildest and best looking finishes I've seen. Really looks galactic in the right light!

BrentSP

Supporting Member
So bringing this back to life. I have a Suhr modern with a SSH and love love that pickup. Articulate, crunchy and clear with good vibe. Using Friedman BE100, SB50 and a Bogner XTC 20th so these are known to be warmer sounding amps. Bought a Suhr Classic Pro with a SSV and it was cool, tad too warm for my liking especially since it’s based off a PAF, but it was nice.

Replaced it for a covered Aldrich. I liked it better, a little more cutting but still warm on the top end. Since I was so impressed with the SSH figured I’d order a uncovered SSH+......just came in today :D

papersoul

Supporting Member
So in my LP, I can't get myself to remove the stock pickups - they sound so good. Now I have the extra Aldrich pickup. Maybe I'll drop it in my SG Standard. That was going to get a WCR GW, Wolfetone Timbre Wolf or Gibson HB-L which I love in my LP and used to have in an SG Special.
But maybe the Aldrich will work in my SG.

CaliCaveMan

Silver Supporting Member
I put an SSH+ in an Ibanez I have along with the ML classic in the middle. I think your singles would probably pair better with Suhr singles and the ML classic(now called the V63) will probably pair better with the SSH+. Although I have another guitar with a V70 in the middle and it sounds great too.

GreatGreen

How would you guys say the Aldrich bridge sounds in a Fender Strat?

I'm confident it would sound great in a solidbody kind of superstrat but in my experience, the front-mounted pickguard of traditional strat style guitars tends to contribute to their "pastic-y" sounding resonance... which sounds perfect for stratty tones, but I'm wondering if this humbucker overcomes that element and can make a strat sound thick and more like a solid body electric.

SFW

I've had both in a Les Paul. The SSH+ has more top end. The Aldrich has a mid range grind that few other pickups have. It has become my go to Les Paul pickup.