Suhr SSV makes my strat happy

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by onetubetone, Jan 24, 2008.

1. onetubetone

onetubetone Member

I just replaced the bridge humbucker in my HSS strat with a Suhr SSV. Boy does it sound sweet. I was looking for a pup that blended well with single coils, and lent a bit of that classic rock tone to my strat, for which purposes it works perfectly. It's actually hotter than I expected from a PAF-style humbucker, but the string separation is a great, and it gives an awesome, really unique tone when blended with my middle single coil (Kinman).

I run a rather unique wiring scheme. Standard 5-way strat switching, but top pot (250K) is single coil volume, middle pot (500K) is humbucker volume, and bottom pot (250K) is master tone. Also, the middle pot is push/pull, splitting the humbucker to a single coil. Works great, with more control than your average strat. :dude

2. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

I had a SSV+ in a strat and loved it, I'm actually considering picking one up again to drop in my Tyler Classic. :dude

3. woude

woude Member

which pickup did you replace?

4. onetubetone

onetubetone Member

I replaced a WCR Goodwood, which I earlier used to replace the Fender stock humbucker. The Goodwood was actually an excellent pickup, but it was slightly too tall for the pickup cavity of my strat, so I couldn't lower it quite as far away from the strings as I'd like. That, in combination with the fact that it's a really hot pickup in the first place meant that it was much louder than my Kinmans. That being said, the Goodwood sure did have a lot of character.

5. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I love the SSV. It sounds great, mates very well with singles and splits better than any other humbucker I've heard.

6. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

Not to highjack but, what singles do you recommend in the neck and middle with the SSV? I have a great playing Hwy 1 and have been considering a pickup change.

7. onetubetone

onetubetone Member

I love my Kinman Blues set. Only a hint hotter than your standard single coil, and work perfectly with the SSV. The 4th position is now my favorite sound out of this guitar!!!

8. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

I first had Suhr V60LPs in the Strat with the SSV+ but later on switched to Suhr V54s which are amazing. V54s tend to get overlooked but they are stellar sounding.

9. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

^^^
    Thx! Your user name makes me want to practice!

10. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

I have the SSV in my Suhr and I was going to swap it for a higher output DSH+. After 6 months, I think I'm sticking with the SSV. I like the extra detail I get in distorted tones from the lower output pickup. I've always used a JB or Tone Zone in the bridge of my guitars(ex-80's metal head!) but the SSV just sounds punchier to me than the higher output buckers. :BEER