Suhr SSV+ vs. Dimarzio Mo'Joe

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MrJacko03, Mar 14, 2008.

1. MrJacko03

MrJacko03 Member

Hi guys.....

I am in no way a technical wonder boy :) In my Suhr Classic I have 2 x V60LP and one SSV+. I would like to try something less vintage/nasal in the bridge and I have a Mo'Joe lying around that I like.

How do I find out if the output is about the same on those two pickups????

Can it be measured in any way? Does anyone know this? I'm lost :jo

2. mesfigas

mesfigas Member

Dont change from Suhr to Dimarzio.

If you want a good Alnico pickup try Bareknuckle

There is the forum: http://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/index.php?sid=aea36b688be40b7c5948d30991f51444

that you can ask questions and listen many samples from the forum members that can make you decide what to buy.

I installed Suhr SSV at my Mayones setius pro lizard
    http://www.mayones.com/eng/katalog.html?nazwa=Setius PRO Lizard&menu=0

SSV pickups (Alnico 5) gave me more woody sound

The stock pickups Dimarzio evolution (ceramic) were a little cold for my taste i mean that the sound was more the pickups and less the guitar.

When i went to Suhr pickups i could listen the wood :AOK

i hope that i help you.

3. MrJacko03

MrJacko03 Member

Well.....no help at all actually;)

I know the Mo'joe pickup and it sounds really really nice. My problem is that I don't know if the output is too high compared to the ssv+

4. MrJacko03

MrJacko03 Member

5. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I agree, but I would HAVE TO say WCR pups! Not BareKnuckles

6. MrJacko03

MrJacko03 Member

;o)

You guys........ Now my question is in bold, so that nobody can miss it ;)

7. MrJacko03

MrJacko03 Member

8. CubanB

CubanB Member

9. wizard333

wizard333 Member

This statement is really funny if you know who actually winds some of Suhr's pickups.............

Acuras rule. Hondas suck. Right.

I have a MoJoe in one guitar and like it a lot. Its a hot paf but not a "hot" pickup, meaning its overwound for a PAF but not a whole lot more. Very even frequency response, articulate when clean and works great for country leads, or nice and 'hot vintage' for overdrive. Supposed to be based on a PAF PRO but thats what it replaced in my guitar and its a big improvement, not at all the same sound.

I'd say use it. FWiW, I sold all the Suhr pickups I had but still own a lot of DiMarzios.

Why someone would tell you that a guy who does a good job of putting wood together all of a sudden knows more about winding pickups than someone who's been actually doing that for 3 decades is a good example of TGP sillyness.

10. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

They are of similar output.

It will not be out of balance.

stop obsessing about the output. Unless they're insanely out of whack, the audible/perceived output won't be that different.

FWIW, I generally prefer "V" Suhr pickups to the Satch Sig Pickups.

I'm not saying I like Suhr more than Dimarzio, but I've been thrilled with my SSVs and less than thrilled with my Freds and Paf Joes.

11. DT7

DT7 Member

So what's different, specifically? I've got a PAF Pro at the bridge of an alder Strat, and am wondering if the Mo' Joe would work better.

12. wizard333

wizard333 Member

My objection to the PAF Pro is twofold:

1) In the bridge, its somewhat thin sounding on the high notes, and overall lacks midrange oomph

2) In the neck, its muddy on the low notes

The guitar in question (Ibanez RGT1320) came stock with PAF Pros in both positions. I replaced with the MoJoe bridge and PAF Joe neck, both of which are supposedly based on the PAF Pro, but my take is:

Bridge: Fatter high notes than the PAF Pro, still articulate on the lows, and a nice midrange growl. All that while definitely NOT sounding like a "hot" humbucker in that it isn't overbearing in the lows or mids when ovedriven, and has a nice clean tone as well (I find it very nice for country leads when clean).

Neck: Not muddy on the low notes like the PAF Pro, not thin on the high notes either. Comes across sort of midway between a Duncan Jazz Neck and a '59 Neck, even though specs would indicate its a fair bit hotter than both, doesn't sound like a "hot" neck pickup at all, tone wise. Cleans up really nicely. I generally hate anything hotter than a Jazz in the neck, this is the only hotter pickup that can pull that off without really bothering me.

Strat bridge I really like the F spaced Lollar Imperial, or the Dimarzio Virtual Hot PAF (discontinued but can still order them) FWIW. They are both fat enough for the bridge but bright enough and low output enough to mix well with the single coils and they split well in parallel with the middle pickup. The MoJoe may or may not be a bit hot for that application, depending on how much volume jump you can tolerate when in the bridge position.

13. DT7

DT7 Member

Mismatch in volume doesn't bother me too much the way I use the different pups. In another Strat, I've got Fralin Blues, neck and mid, with a Duncan F-spaced Jeff Beck at the bridge. Joe's pups, naturally, seem geared towards the mid-rangey Basswood bodies he usually uses. I'm happy with the Jeff Beck, but might speak to Jason about a bridge 'bucker to replace the PAF Pro...it's always seemed a bit sterile to me.

14. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

WE DO! All of them and have for about 8 years. Even When DiMarzio made our humbuckers it was to our specs. We always made our single coils.

15. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

Harsh. :eek:

16. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

"putting wood together"? LOL is that what I do?
    I've been winding pickups since 1982 and building guitars since 1974
    Maybe you had too much coffee, this is supposed to be a friendly place.
    Oh and by the way, Steve Blucher and I are good friends and I don't think he would make the same comment. This isn't about competition here, just setting the facts straight. If you love Steves pickups then killer ! play them, there is nothing wrong with them. I make something with a different flavor.

17. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

You handled that much better than I would have.

and, FWIW, I think your pickups sound great.