suhr standard vs classic question

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by calpa94, Apr 30, 2008.

1. calpa94

calpa94 Member

I haven't seen a standard in person yet but I know they are a bit smaller than the classic. Can anyone compare the sound between the two assuming they are both SSH with pickguard alder body/maple neck. I guess my question is does the standard look and feel tiny and does it sound tiny compared to the classic.

2. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

The Standard does not sound tiny, by any means. It would be extremely difficult to do a true a/b comparison, but both guitars hold their own in my book. No thin, tinny tones to be found.

I'm a big guy (Tall), so the standard feels really small. Love the way it looks, though!

3. Phil M

Phil M Member

The Standard is a pretty small guitar, which I should've expected but for some reason I thought it would be bigger. I prefer the look and feel of larger guitars, like strats or the Suhr Classic. The Standard certainly did not sound small or tinny though.

4. Nomadgtr

Nomadgtr Member

See my post on the bottom of page 1 of this thread:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=2235949&highlight=nomadgtr#post2235949

That's a classic on the left and a standard on the right. The size difference isn't very much and in reality the woods you choose will have a much greater effect on the tone than the size or shape. The classic in the picture is alder and is great for blues/blues rock stuff where the standard is mahogany with a quilt maple top and its much more punchier and a true rock guitar. Both have brazilian rosewood fretboards, the classic is maple neck and the standard is mahogany. I suggest you talk with Ed Yoon or John Suhr directly if you want to understand the nuances and differences in the models and the available options. They're a wealth of information and both great guys to deal with. I trust their experience and advice implicitly.

5. oscar100

oscar100 Member

i prefer the classic

i m not so keen on the flat top of the classic - maybe its a mental thing

it soundd a bit more modern and studio to me whereas the classic is more vibey

6. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Trying to decide if this is a serious post or something to get the locals all fired up ....