Suhr Thorn Bucker pickup

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Bamboo, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Bamboo

Bamboo Member

[​IMG]

http://www.suhr.com/Thorn-Bucker-Pickups/

I normally don't get too excited over pickups as I've (mostly) used the same Duncan range forever, but this pickup looks to be something special.

Just a guess, but I'm sure John and Pete worked on these for quite some time.

Definately will try these. :)

2. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

There is very little chance that won't sound great.

3. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I'm sure they'll be cool, but I'm not sure what's special about them compared to the SSV's that I have in a couple of my guitars? It seems that they use the same construction, but are just lower wound than the SSVs? The product description mentions they use plain enamel wire, but so do the SSVs according to what John Suhr has posted in the past. Guess I'll have to keep my eyes out for them, try them out when I can and figure it out for myself.
    -
    Austin

4. Bamboo

Bamboo Member

Ya know I really haven't tried any of Suhr's pickups, but I'm sure John will probably come along at some point and give the technical differences between this and the SSV. NAMM is over Sunday I think?

It just sounds like it would be a real nice pickup, with an emphasis on clarity, and I've always hovered around pickups with PAF levels.

5. Promit

Promit Member

See Thorn's post here:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpost.php?p=19325836&postcount=32

6. mrscott99

mrscott99 Member

ordered a bridge today

7. Kostas

Kostas Member

Pete Thorn has an excellent taste when it comes to guitar tone, I've never heard anything from him that I didn't like that's why I have expectations about these pickups but I'd like to hear demos from other players as well. I hope the Suhr company will consider the gold covers option.

8. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

The SSV is a wonderful pickup. It has a different characteristic than the Thornbucker. The Thornbucker was born out of hundreds of hours of Pete and I trying different approaches. It is smoother, more airy and open compared to the SSV. Really two different pickups both in the low output territory. The SSV just has a sharper attack compared. We also went through great lengths to find a cover that didn't impact the tone as much as standard covers do. As soon as I can I'm throwing a set in my Goldtop with covers. Part of the key here is no plating on the cover. For that reason we won't be doing gold without extensive testing.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    pressure likes this.
  9. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

They sound pretty good to me! Any other reports?

10. BGrizzMayne

BGrizzMayne Supporting Member

Would love to hear some feedback on these! Considering Fralin pure PAFS in my R8, or these

11. joafink2

joafink2 Supporting Member

Seriously! What's the scoop?

12. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

I've got one now, just waiting on a pickguard. The one I have (53mm) does not fit in the rings or pickguard I've got on my bridge HB guitars. Looking forward to trying it.

13. Variable

Variable Member

Very interested as well. The SSH+ in my Modern is just too damn hot, and the SSV in the neck is a bit wooly and bland played clean. These sound like they'd solve both problems for me.

AtomicBlaze likes this.
  14. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

OK, so I got it wired up this morning after some futzing with a series/parallel pot.

The mule guitar is a MIJ Charvel Pro Mod, which until today had a DiMarzio Tone Zone/Fast Track set up H/S. The guitar is an alder body with a maple neck, which is not really what I've read Husky and sinasl1 had in mind for this pickup - but it's what I had available. I bought a new single humbucker guard, and wired this with just a volume and a series/parallel switch. The Thornbucker I have is covered, and it's the F-spaced bridge model.

So my thoughts are that this is a very interesting pickup. I've compared it to the PRS 57/08 in my PRS Studio as well as the Pearly Gates in my old PRS Custom (yeah, I know, significantly different guitars...) The Thornbucker is a bit lower output than the 57/08, which is lower output than the PG. I think based on a lot of what I've heard Pete play on videos, I was expecting something a bit hotter. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The pickup is very open sounding and well balanced. Certainly no cocked wah tone from this pickup. Notes are very well defined, and it had a usable tone clean, which is something I rarely hear out of a bridge humbucker. The real treat was the parallel mode- which opens the pickup's tone up even more and gives it a real sparkle to chords.

I was interested to try this pickup as a potential choice for a custom build I'm pondering, and this is now a solid contender. I think the lower output would make it easier to find a match in single coils for a HSS setup, and the parallel mode on a push-pull pot would probably be VERY interesting in the 4 position.

Overall, I think this is a good pickup, and something I've not heard before. Very well balanced tone, lots of space between notes. It doesn't drive your amp as hard as a "rock" pickup, but that will probably help it blend in with single coils far better. This one's worth a try.

15. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Sorry I missed this thread guys! Anyway, nice to hear some of you are trying these, I hope you dig em! :)

As John said, it's a significantly different tone than an SSV, with about the same output. I think they work equally well in a mahogany 24.34 scale instrument, and in an alder strat type as well, maybe blended with some singles... we tested both scenarios when experimenting with winds and whatnot. I wanted to make sure the pickup was a nice alternative to an SSV in a Suhr S-S-H classic S, while also being a great option for a guy wanting a new set for a Les Paul or other variant.

Mhuratt Reis likes this.
  16. Bogner

Bogner Member

I am looking for something to throw in my Baker B1. I have always liked the Aldrich pickups and was considering a set of those or possibly a bareknuckle set.....(not sure what set exactly)....But I play a lot of high gain stuff and don't need an over the top hot pickup. The Aldrich has always been clear and articulate which is what I like and am desiring. I am thinking that the Thornbucker might be a great option in that big slab of Mahogany.

17. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Sort of polar opposites, output-wise, the Thornbuckers are like PAF output for sure, but they really will let your guitar clean up if desired- you can get real articulate cleans with them, and then they sound great dirty too!

18. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

Got a set coming in my custom Suhr order. But may be a couple of months :/

19. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

True the Aldrich are pretty hot but still sweet. And with good pots/caps do clean up nicely with the volume rolled back for such a beast.

Looking forward to more "feedback" from regular players on the Thornbuckers. I really haven't heard a bad sounding Suhr pickup. So there is that.

20. tooter007

tooter007 Member

Just installed a nickel Thornbucker bridge pickup in my Rasmus S100 (hum/sing/sing), which replaced the stock SSH+ bridge pickup it came with. While the SSH+ is a great HOT pickup, to me it overpowered the stock FL single coils in terms of balance. Anyway....WOW love the Thornbucker! It just balances so well now, and I love the clean tone, almost sounds like a fat single coil without the hum. Well done Pete and John! I will post more comments once I have had more time to experiment this weekend.

Kalalau Hiker likes this.