Suhr truss rod adjustment--when did it change?

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Platinum Supporting Member
All my Suhrs have the truss rod adjustment at the heel of the neck, at the end of the fingerboard. Looking at some new Classics, I see the adjustment now at the headstock by the nut.

Anyone know when this started and the reason for the change?

Husky

All my Suhrs have the truss rod adjustment at the heel of the neck, at the end of the fingerboard. Looking at some new Classics, I see the adjustment now at the headstock by the nut.

Anyone know when this started and the reason for the change?
Unanimous customer requests and ease of truss rod adjustments. It made sense to make all the adjustments easy and the same across the board. The actual truss rod is still 100% vintage single rod. No tonal change just easier for the customer.

bach

FWIW, I don't have a problem with it at the headstock, but I can't understand why anyone would complain. The heel adjustment with the pickguard cutout and provided tool works brilliantly on my Classic and gives the headstock a clean look.

Husky

FWIW, I don't have a problem with it at the headstock, but I can't understand why anyone would complain. The heel adjustment with the pickguard cutout and provided tool works brilliantly on my Classic and gives the headstock a clean look.
Yes if you are careful it is just fine
However...
Many people are not careful, slip with the wrench and bugger the top of a pristine quilt top. :messedup Headstock adjust is just easier for all involved and gives a cleaner look at the body. Plus with 24 frets and set necks it isn't an option anyway.

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
Yes if you are careful it is just fine
John,

Can you give me tip on getting the wrench into the neck heel on my Classic S?

I have the short side angle wrench (with the red rubber wrap) that came with it, but it seems like I'm not quite able to get the angle correct to clear the notch on the pickguard.

I'm a fairly experienced guitar tech, but just wondered if there's a trick I'm just missing. I shouldn't have to loosen the neck should I?

Thx

Jason

Husky

John,

Can you give me tip on getting the wrench into the neck heel on my Classic S?

I have the short side angle wrench (with the red rubber wrap) that came with it, but it seems like I'm not quite able to get the angle correct to clear the notch on the pickguard.

I'm a fairly experienced guitar tech, but just wondered if there's a trick I'm just missing. I shouldn't have to loosen the neck should I?

Thx

Jason
Can you email me a picture of the wrench so I can make sure you have the right one ? It should be pretty short for the heel adjust

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
PM sent. I do think I need a shorter short end. Thanks for quick response!

PS: I found the wrench that came with my other Suhr (Classic T) and realized it was shorter. I'm guessing the dealer maybe threw in the wrong/too-long wrench in the S. I let off a little tension and perfect again. all good

Last edited:

Trending Topics