Suhr users have you compared V54 and V60LP?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by gonziak, Aug 30, 2006.

1. gonziak

gonziak Member

Hi I received my first suhr about a week ago. It's a swamp ash and maple neck, V60LP and suhr standard bridge.I'm thinking how could it sound with V54. I read description on suhr web but I'm looking for clips Sw ash maple with V54. Sometimes it appears in indoorstorm but maybe you know other places or have v54 clips?
    thanks a lot
    Martin

2. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

Suhr graciously swapped out my V60lp and put in a V54 in the middle position of my alder/maple top t style. The V54 sounds a touch softer and sweeter on the top end to me... something like the fender fat 50 but with fewer winds.

Hope this helps, Ray

[​IMG]

3. gonziak

gonziak Member

Thanks a lot The point is that I've never play the guitar with the 50 single spec :( . I need info about neck pickup in ash maple axe. I'm looking for hendrixy bell I have great sound with V60lp and I'm just thinking how could it sound with V54 neck pickup?

4. Kborg

Kborg Silver Supporting Member

The 54 is not quite as hot, a little brighter and more vintage. I got a chance to a/b two classic S's. One with v60s and one with v54s, to an actual stock 65 Strat and the 54's were scary close!!:drool the v60s were slightly hotter and a little darker. The differences were not drastic to my ears, but definitely noticable. I've have two classics one with v60s and one with v54's and prefer the 54's as they seem a little more airy and sparkly:NUTS . I hate trying to put my perception of tone into words, and my tastes, opinions and hearing are subject to change without notice:eek: .

I believe Landau uses the 54's and I may be wrong but I thought Henderson was moving to them. Someone else who knows better than I can chime in and either confirm or dispell this rumor.

Hope this helps

5. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

Sorry can't help you with clips. But unless someone can do a direct a/b clip for you, I'm not sure how helpful they would be. Have you tried emailing Suhr for recommendations? Very helpful and responsive people.

6. shoe

shoe Member

I tried out three Suhr Classics with the following wood and pickup combinations:

Alder, african rosewood board, V60lp's
    Swamp Ash, Brazilian rosewood board, V60lp's
    Swamp Ash, Brazilian rosewood board, V54's

To me, the Alder Classic with V60lp's was too dark (too much mids and not enough highs and lows), the Swamp Ash Classic with v54's was too bright (too little mids and too much highs) and the Swamp Ash Classic with v60lp's was the PERFECT balance - punchy highs and lows with lots of snap and pop and just the right about of mid-range growl.

I wish I could have tried the v54's with my alder classic, but I was so taken with the swamp ash classic with the Brazilian board and v60's that it had to be mine!

[​IMG]

7. MikeP

MikeP Member

That is surprising......Not that you liked it but that it was available. I thought they did not build swamp ash with RW unless on special request. I remember reading it on the wood description page on the Suhr site

8. gonziak

gonziak Member

Thanks a lot. Still looking for clips

9. bendix

bendix Member

I remember reading something similar where he said they wouldn't put a maple neck/ fretboard on an alder body unless the buyer really was sure that they wanted that sound. I got the impression the maple/maple neck and alder body combo ended up too harsh sounding.

But maybe I got it mixed up.

Tim

10. MikeP

MikeP Member

Here is what it reads on his site regarding Swamp Ash...
    I did build a Tele once with Swamp Ash body & pau fero on maple neck. It did sound quite good actually.

11. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

I'll report back next week. A V54 equipped Classic is in transit as we speak.

12. Roe

Roe Member

how about 65s - must be great for hendrix and blackmore

13. Felipe

Felipe Member

60 is more all around pickup. Can keep balance either clean or high gain situations, has a good midrange presence too. One of the most versatile strat pickups on the market.

The 54 is a vintage pickup, has less midrange, more highs, tighter lows. A Mark Knopfler pickup, Eric Johnson kind of clean.

I have 60s on 3 Classics (Two Ash, one chambered Alder) and a 54 on an Alder Classic. I have some other Strats, but don't really need'em :rolleyes:

14. gonziak

gonziak Member

So which would be more hendrixy twang in swamp ash and maple V54 or V60LP? Which are more powerful with open low E?

15. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

I have a very light one-piece swamp ash body with an African Rosewood board. It is the single most alive sounding guitar I have owned or played in my 30+ years of fiddling.

It sizzles, and cuts like a knife. I also had the wiring set-up so I can add the bridge Broadcaster pickup at any time (it's a three pickup Tele w/V60's in the neck and middle positions and a Broadcaster bridge pickup). It also has a 5 position pickup selector - so I can add more bite even when I have it in the #2 or #4 positions.

I was specific about my order. I loved the African rosewood board on another Suhr I owned, and wanted that feel. I also love the sound of good swamp ash.

No doubt the guitar can be a bit bright - but that's something I can control with my amp and the guitar's tone controls. The added touch of brightness is well worthwhile, because the guitar is so vibrant and resonant.

16. shoe

shoe Member

+1

The Alder classic with the v60's was so dark that I just couldn't get into it. Then again, clearly if Suhr doesn't like Swamp Ash with Brazilian rosewood, we're hearing things differently anyway. Just thought it interesting to point out that these things aren't everything to everyone (and that's cool!)

17. lbw

lbw Member

This question is for Suhr, what is your opinion of the differences between ash and alder with a 1-piece maple neck? I'm about to order a Suhr Classic and I am not sure what is recommended (even after reading your site). I have a '83 JV '57 RI Stratocaster which is alder and maple and it's basicly a guitar I want a clone of. I was all set to order alder and maple when I read your site and you recommend ash and maple? The guitar will likely have V54s.

Thanks.

18. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

My latest classic arrived from a fellow TGP member. (Thanks Joe!) It has (2) V54s and an SSV in the bridge. I promised a report on the V54s vs V60LPs, so here goes.

Frankly, I am undecided about the V54s. The first time I played them all I could think about was swapping them for V60LPs. But after more time spent I am coming around. In my unscientific experiment, as compared to the V60LPs, the V54s have a clearer sound with less smoke in the mids. They seem to have a little less low mids and slightly more and clearer highs. Both sound very good, just a little different. I'm leaning towards the V60LPs for my personal tastes, but the V54s are clearly fantastic pickups.

I should say that the guitars I'm comparing are slightly different. The V60LPs are in a Classic that has a 1-pc maple neck and Wilkinson 6-post vintage bridge. While the V54 equipped guitar has an Indian Rosewood fingerboard and a Fender 6-post bridge. Both have solid alder bodies.

Hope this helps. YMMV and my opinion may change at any second.
    :BEER

19. lbw

lbw Member

Thanks for the response. I have a CAA OD-100 SH. Will that reproduce it? :)

20. Roe

Roe Member

does anyone use the 65s?