Suhr V60LP's Noiseless!!! New technology!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Paychek, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Paychek

Paychek Member

Just read this over at the Suhr forum. John has come up with a circuit that makes single coils noiseless(he says the same as a humbucker) without any tone change. Scott Henderson tested the new circuit and gave it a big thumbs up!! Here is that very info that John posted. V60LP's noiseless!! The GAS is building!
    http://www.online-discussion.com/Suhr/viewtopic.php?t=188
    Mikey

:RoCkIn

2. KLB

KLB Member

Wonderful!

Hmmm.....This is probablly what the Tyler guys are about to use.
    They are calling it the AQS system or something like that.
    It involves the use of a dummy coil under the pickguard.

That's not a new idea, though there are probably ways to refine it and get the patent office to issue a patent.

I look forward to checking it out.

If it proves to be THAT good, there's going to be a lot of pickups dumped on the market! (Some by me...)

- Ken

3. Paychek

Paychek Member

sounds exactly like it. And I did hear it mentioned that there is a patent on this by another individual and negotiations are what is determining a price on the installation of this coil or circuit. Got my info from a suhr dealer.
    Time for a new Suhr Classic!!

4. dazco

dazco Member

I suppose it's only available in thier guitars tho, eh? Or will there be aftermarket i wonder. I would think so because he'd be an instant oczillionaire if that thing really works. Everyone on earth that uses single coils would have one and it would be licenced to fender and everyone else. It would make the invention of the floyd pale by comparrison. I want one NOW before i go and buy some Kinmans for my new strat.

5. KLB

KLB Member

John,
    Thanks for the info.

Does this mean that the optimum pickup set for this system does not have (need) a RWRP middle pickup -- since all positions are hum cancelling?

I've always liked the sound of the #2 and #4 pickup settings on guitars without RWRP, even though the noise cancelling benefit is not there.

Is this passive or active -- is a battery required?

When this will be available on Suhr guitars?

It is great that you plan an aftermarket upgrade kit for existing pickups.

Cheers,
    Ken

6. dazco

dazco Member

So i suppose we're talking a good year or 2 before we see aftermarket versions, right?

7. dazco

dazco Member

Yes !!! Thank you ! At my age waiting isn't a sure thing ! :D i was looking at getting some noiseless to replace the SCN's in my new strat, but i really much prefer Vanzandts to anything i've used and have always been happy with them. But after the SCN experience i'm really lusting after the noiseless aspect. So nice.......but just can't deal with losing that tone i love. So this has me really excited. Please make it happen before the man upstairs calls me or decides to shut down all fine motor movment in my hands via arthritis or the like.:D

i'll be watching this thread like an eagle waiting for the day !

8. Amit

Amit Member

John,

Will this system equally work with your Tele set, or will it need to be adjusted for the T?

Thanks,
    Amit

9. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

Does the fact that I have a RWRP middle V60lp make any difference? WIll it have to be replaced with a standard wind to do the retrofit?

10. dazco

dazco Member

Am i on the right track in thinking this is going to require routing the guitar somehow?

11. shoe

shoe Member

I think you're on the right track as I believe John had mentioned on his board that the system would only be available on guitars with pickguards for the moment.....i.e. s-s-s

Hmmmm......

12. dazco

dazco Member

Well if thats the case i guess it's back to hum city for me.:(

13. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

John, you enabler you. Just when I'd talked myself into the idea I could just be happy with putting some Wagner SRs in my Musicman Silhouette Special, you raise the bar again! Playing my friend Pete Faraghers Suhr Strat and Tele convinced me you're making the best darn bolt-on out there, but the thought of noiseless V60s just put me over the edge. Must have Suhr...-Eric

14. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

I think John's guitars and pickups are great but how is this different from Fender, Dimarzio, and Duncan stacked (noiseless) pickups?

15. shoe

shoe Member

Because this system utilizes regular/traditional single-coil pickups. Stacked pickups are just vertical humbuckers.....they will inherently sound "different" than single-coil pickups.

Supposedly, this new system enables one to use traditional single-coil pickups without any tonal change and without any hum.

It really had the potential to be revolutionary.....

16. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

That's what I'm thinking too. Being primarily a Strat player I've tried a few of the stacked singles and just wasn't happy with the tone, especially with fuzz pedals and such. But there are times when you play places where singles hum so bad you can't use them.

Of course I'm sure there will be someone who tries John's system and says it doesn't sound as good because "the hum is a part of whole single coil sound" ;)

17. Paychek

Paychek Member

John mentioned on the phone that Scott Henderson has the golden ears for hearing differences such as this in a A/B test. As picky as Scott is about tone, I'm sure Scotts positive comments reassured John that indeed he was on to something big. I heard from a Surh dealer yesterday that Mike Landau was getting this mod on his guitar this week sometime. Sounds like Mikey is sold also! The hum will no longer have to be part of that vintage single coil sound! My new classic on order will have this circuit installed, even if I have to have my Suhr dealer bump the order a month or two. Can't wait!!

18. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

John,

Any updates for aftermarket availability?

Thanks,

Joe

19. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

Dude, do you play in a band called Aerosmith? :D

20. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Ya, I use to. I gave up that unforfilling rock-n-roll lifestyle for sitting at a desk programming CNC machines 8 hrs a day. It's much more fun than free guitars and groupies! Besides Gibson didn't believe me when I tried changing my address for where they should drop ship my guitars.:dude

Joe

P.S. Maybe John can hire me to program the laser. I'm willing to relocate to the left coast.