Suhr V60's

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TheArchitect, Dec 28, 2005.

1. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Guest

Anyone tried 'em? Opinions?

2. DownByLaw

DownByLaw Supporting Member

I installed the v60lps in a pre-wired configuration from Acme (with the blender option) and couldn't be happier. (installed in a 93 strat plus deluxe) Never harsh, very sweet. Think the Hendrix side of the tracks, rather than the SRV side.

Patrick

3. mbratch

mbratch Member

Patrick, I've had an eye on the V60LPs for my 1991 American Strat (to replace the current Blue/Silver/Red Lace sensors I've used for 14 years). How does each switch position sound? Are all the positions excellent?

4. DownByLaw

DownByLaw Supporting Member

Yes, all positions are excellent. For the record these went in a '93 strat plus deluxe, with blue/gold/jb jr, maple neck/ash body.

I was a little concerned about the bridge position, (harshness) but this position is great. Fat and chewy with no ice pick overtones. Far less harsh than the jb jr, with no spikeyness. Far more character than the stock lace sensor. I rock out on this position on a VHT clx with heavy amounts of gain, nearing metal sometimes, and it works great. Great clarity.

The neck position as I said is more Hendrix imo, than SRV. Big sounding, full, vocal and sweet, with just enough bite. I say more Hendrix than SRV, I mean that typically SRV sound neck pickups have an overwound sound, much bark at the expense of subtlety. This is a more well rounded pickup than that.

The in-between sounds are beautiful. Quacky, wonderful overtones, chewy. I get some amazing "swirl" from the in-between positions, almost like a subtle chorus effect, especially when finger picked. (I have not experienced this from any other pickups)

I got these from Acme in a pre-wired configuration with a blender pot. (great wiring by Acme) This allows for excellent pseudo tele sounds as well as the ability for all 3 on and variations of all 3. This is a great option that adds a vast amount of flexibility, I play with this feature more than I ever thought I would.

I really can't say anything bad about these pickups. They require careful setup for height to get the most out of them and to avoid "stratitis", as they are very sensitive to height adjustments. I can't imagine improving much on this set.

Patrick

5. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

I put a set of V60s in a solid alder strat after having a set of V60LPs in a hollow ash strat - I've had the V60LPs for a long time.

V60s have more dynamic range than low peaks, they drive easier, are cluckier in the inbetween positions, and are edgier. The Low Peaks are juicier, seem to be more balanced, and are softer overall. Though they are similar, and wound to the same impedances, I preferred the voicing of the Low Peals and sold the V60s.

Both are wound slightly hotter than vintage specs, BUT you couldn't go wrong with either if you want your strat to sound like a strat.

6. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

I've played 2 Suhrs with V60 pickups and I think they're one of the best sounding strat type pickups I've ever heard. If I had a strat, I would have either the Suhr pickups or the Detemple/Lollar Sweetspot pickups in it. I like both equally well.

7. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

Bingo on the SweetSpots!

8. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Guest

Are the guitars you put them in Maple boards? Where the instruments naturally on the brighter side? The strat I have in mind for these has a lot of natural snap in its tone. Sounds like these would be a good fit.

I didn't realise there were 2 flavors of these pups. I'm not sure which set the dealer had. I will have to look into that.

9. Tomo

Tomo Member

I am really enjoying my Suhr strat. My strat came with Suhr V60s LP.
    It's very sweet sounding than my SRV's Fralin. Much more warmer
    , but not muddy at all. it's very clear vintage sounding pickups. Plus
    this SSC system makes big difference. No noise! I love this. Maple
    neck. I could use a bit (only a little) top end.

I am interested in trying Suhr V60. I may get more top end.

Tomo

10. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Guest

Well boys, you talked me into it. The local hut is having its annual blow out so I picked up a set of V60LP's for my MIA Trem, maple board strat. Might put them in tonight. I haven't decided. Sounds like they should be a nice compliment to the SD antiquities in the RW H1 strat and the Fat 50's in the RW MIA hardtail strat.

11. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

Ok! I gotta ask. What is the difference between the V60 LP and V60? I think I have V60's in my Tyler that is on the way.

12. mbratch

mbratch Member

LP = "Low Peak", so the peak of the output signal occurs at a lower frequency.

Here's the description given on the Suhr Guitars web page:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS,Comic Sans,Times New Roman]At last the long awaited [/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS,Comic Sans,Times New Roman]V60's[/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS,Comic Sans,Times New Roman] Single coil- Fat, greasy[/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS,Comic Sans,Times New Roman] and smooth these pickups grab the Classic tone of one of guitars greatest era's. They are wound in house using many years of technology and research to accurately reproduce some of the best sounding pickups we have ever heard.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS,Comic Sans,Times New Roman]Hand wound winding technique is reproduced on a computerized winder for consistent hand wound tone of the early 60's using Heavy Formvar wire. For the Sweeter hand wound style request the "Low Peak" The standard set is louder and has more presence. Low peak works best with overdrive and fuzz pedals.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS,Comic Sans,Times New Roman]The exact formula of Alnico 5 magnet actually used in the 60's is slightly beveled and loaded into the precision laser cut fibers .The pickups are staggered to the radius of modern playing guitars but vintage stagger is also available for the 7.25 Radius necks.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS,Comic Sans,Times New Roman]Humcancelling combo positions, a bridge pickup that cranks. These pickups are endorsed by [/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS,Comic Sans,Times New Roman]Michael Landau[/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS,Comic Sans,Times New Roman] and [/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS,Comic Sans,Times New Roman]Scott Henderson[/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS,Comic Sans,Times New Roman]. They are available through your dealer or on our guitars.

[/FONT]

13. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

I have the V60LPs in my Suhrs. No need to try anything else -- these pickups are it. The bridge does have a baseplate, which I also enjoy. They are the perfect strat tones for me.

-Mark

14. Tomo

Tomo Member

15. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

I did this swap with my SSC Classic, it's a bit more upper mids to highs.
    Fits me alot better, they're great. A bit more "in your face!"

The LPs get all the press, but I like the regular V60s

16. Reeek

Reeek Member

I have only tried them in my Suhr Classic, one piece swamp ash/maple board. I have no intention of messing with what I consider the best sounding S style guitar I have ever played. Best playing S style I have ever played for that matter ;)

17. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

these are my favorite single coil pickups. I enjoy fralin vintage hots, and some fender custom shops (especiall y the fat 50s) but the V60Lp have more character and sound better (for me) clean and overdriven.

18. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

i've got a set of regular V60's in my custom Van Zandt strat with BRW fingerboard, big 'D' flamed maple neck and 1-pc swamp ash body. they sound fat, punchy and alive in this guitar! They're fat and greasy sounding, but do not have the nasty 'mid-hump' of Fender Texas Specials. They have tons of quack and chime. Every position sounds great. Best strat pickups i've ever played! :dude

Others i have tried and compared these to:

-Fender Texas Specials (too harsh and aggressive, not enough quack or chime)
    -Van Zandt Vintage Plus and Fender Fat 50's (these are very similar sounding to each other. nice, similar concept and output, but just not as greasy and 'alive')
    -Fender AV 57/62 (these are nice and vintage sounding but not as fat, bridge pup wimpy)
    -Kinman 62/62/SCn Blues set (too dark sounding for me, nowhere near as alive, too much lack of single coil characteristics for me, chime is not there.)
    -Seymour Duncan Custom Staggered set (way too overwound and hot, too dark, not enough chime)

Just my 2 cents :)

19. Roe

Roe Member

Agree, the SCn Blues set is to compressed too

20. Tomo

Tomo Member

Thanks for your great reviews on pickups. Thank you.
    V60LPs are really warm sounding pickups, not dark at all.
    That's why tone is so good. I should try V60s too.

Tomo