Suhr vs Grosh T's for Vintage Sound

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by KenSea, Jun 12, 2005.

1. KenSea

KenSea Member

Need help from you guys. Which has the best vintage sound between these two Classic T's? Would like to know which one you find the most fun to play? ...........Thanks !

2. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

I think they are a tie. Seriously, I owned a Suhr T that I foolishly let go - it was a very big sounding tele. And I played a Grosh T for over four hours straight one evening at a shop. When I gathered the scratch to purchase the Grosh it had been sold. I tend to hit the ground a little harder for the Grosh version - although I prefer the way the Suhr's look - but I really think they both make an outrageously amazing T-style guitar. You can't lose with either one.

3. tthompso7

tthompso7 Guest

Was just discussing this at band practice last night. I owned a Suhr tele that I foolishly traded away... One of my biggest blunders guitarwise. Love John Suhr's tele's and I intend to get one back.

My Big Mistake!

4. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

I have a suhr that I plan on keeping although there are 3 people in line to purchase it if I choose to sell it.

Suhr tele's ROCK

5. FredW

FredW Member

I have a suhr tele and a grosh retro classic strat so I haven't played a grosh tele but the suhr is amazing compared to the other fender teles i've owned. The grosh strat I have has a very vintage sound so you probably won't go wrong either way. See if you can try both and compare, but I'd give the nod to suhr-it just sounds like a cannon unplugged and sounds huge plugged in

6. ccteleman

ccteleman Member

I have a Suhr T and really like it. But if your looking for the vintage tones you mite check out a Fender Nocaster.

The Suhr sounds great, and plays like no other. It mite be spliting hairs, but it does sound a bit different than the Fender to my ear.

Never played the Grosh, but some say it is a bit closer to the vintage thing than some of the other high end stuff.

CC

7. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I've owned several Fender Teles (old and new), a couple of Andersons, a Grosh and a Suhr. With the exception of one hollow Anderson all were vintage style.

I owned the Grosh for a year and a half and it was a very nice guitar, with a nice vintage tone. In the end I let it go because the smaller body always felt (and looked) a little odd to me. The vintage wind Fralins in the Grosh sounded a little thin and bright to me too.

I currently own a Suhr T that (to me) is the holy grail of Teles. Butterscotch ash body, one piece maple 56 big V neck, vintage bridge and tuners and John's Tele pickup set. Things I like better about my Suhr over the Grosh I had are 1) I like John's pickups better then the Fralins, as they have a growl and attitude about them that rivals the best old Tele pickups I've heard, 2) the SUhr body is the regular shape and size, 3) The Suhr has Feiten and stainless frets and 4) unlike a lot of players I actually prefer the feel of John's satin poly on the neck to the lacquer on the Grosh. The Suhr finish feels almost like raw wood and has stayed that way, while the Grosh lacquer felt sticky and would gloss up after playing it a couple of months, and to get the satin feel back you had to rub it down with 0000 steel wool.

Like I said, the Grosh was a cool guitar but I like my Suhr better. Not to mention a new Suhr costs less too. Actually I think either one will get a convincing "vintage sound" if you play the right "vintage music" on it ;)

8. KenSea

KenSea Member

I would like to know which brand of P90s he is using in your guitar? Thanks!

9. george4908

george4908 Member

>>I would like to know which brand of P90s he is using in your guitar?

Probably Suhrs. I have a Suhr Tele with two of his P-90s and they are fine indeed.

10. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

I posted some Pic's and reviews of some Custom Tele's in the Greenwich Village Custom Guitar on this Forum. Do a Search for greenwich village.

11. 54GT

54GT Silver Supporting Member

I have a Grosh and a Suhr and you really can't go wrong with either. Both are ash with maple. Great build quality, beautiful to play, and they look good too. There are differences in tone, so it depends on what you are after. The Suhr has the most "spank" of any Tele I have played. Notes really jump off the guitar with an amazing presence. The Grosh has a deeper and somewhat woodier tone, and does that hollow twang a little more.

Both guys have always been very responsive to questions.

Would hate to have to choose between them. Play 'em and see which one suits.

Corey

12. KenSea

KenSea Member

Thanks Corey, is Your Grosh a recent one, what kind of pups are in the Grosh? Which amp do You perfer with them?

13. 54GT

54GT Silver Supporting Member

KenSea,

it has Fralins. both guitars sound great through Carr Rambler, Siegmund Midnight Special and Kingsley Deluxe 30

Corey