Suhr Was Sweet!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Redrum, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Redrum

Redrum Member

So I show-up a weekly jam with some friends only to find out the guitar I brought that evening couldn't be played due to some pup issues, so one of my buddies says he'll run home and grab another of his guitars for me to use.

He comes back a few minutes later with a Suhr Pro Series S1. He had brought this particular guitar to a previous jam and I gave him some grief about this Suhr, calling it a designer guitar, a shredder guitar, etc. (he has a history of buying and selling some seriously expensive gear.

So I happily plug the Suhr into my trusty Swart AST and play the S1 for a couple of hours and was BLOWN AWAY. Talk about sticking your foot in your mouth.... the light weight, insanely playable compound neck radius, incredible plekked fretwork, the Buzz Feiten tuning system - I've never played a guitar with absolutely perfect intonation up and down every fret of the neck. Wow.

And the tone from the V60LP single coils and SSV humbucker in the bridge was bright and spanky with tons of sustain - the sustaining twang of the E and A strings in the lower registers sounded just incredible, almost like a piano, if that makes any sense.

After carefully inspecting this guitar after playing it, I couldn't find a single blemish of any type - the fit and finish was, dare I say, absolutely perfect.

So I tell my buddy "beautiful guitar, what'd you pay, like 3 or 4 grand, heh, heh". What? 1750.00? Now that's some serious coin, but...... and this coming from a guy who believes all you really need is any one of the basic food groups (ie; Strat, Tele, LP, 335, etc.).

Now I can't get that damn guitar out of my head and even worse, I actually want one. Bad. OMG - I need a 14th guitar like a hole in my head!

So am I crazy or are these new Suhr Pro Series guitars as incredible as I think they are?

2. FastFret

FastFret Member

Well, I've narrowed down my next electric purchase to Suhr Pro, Anderson Pro, or possibly a EMBB model (not sure which though). After reading your post Redrum, Suhr just got placed on top of the list. ;)

3. Kappy

Kappy Member

I'm not familiar with that model. What is it?

4. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Boy can I relate to the "can't get the guitar out of my head and the 14 guitar thing.":jo

It's probably best to give in and get one, otherwise the damn guitar will be on your mind 24/7:D

5. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

Suhr is making some seriously killer guitars! Everytime I pick up something else, it just feels sub-par. If the specs are to your liking, the Pro Series are a great deal. All the quality of a custom at a significant discount. Buy one. How could you regret it? :)

6. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

I love my S2. It's the first guitar I've owned in 20 years that I would never consider selling. I got mine new for $1600 and that is the best deal going right now for a quality axe imho.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. imonabuss

imonabuss Supporting Member

The S1's are an incredible deal. I bought one and wound up getting two custom Suhrs after that. Now I am going to have to sell the S1 (because my wife has threatened my life if I don't), but it's really every bit the guitar that the custom ones are. So, if you are interested in a very little played sunburst S1, let me know.

8. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

That's the trouble, if you get your first Suhr you are doomed (in a good way) to get more! I have a Sunburst S1 that spoiled me into ordering a Classic T.

My # 0042

[​IMG]

9. Redrum

Redrum Member

Beautiful pics guys, both the S2 in Mercedes Blue and the Burst S1 look incredible. It looks like Suhr released the maple-neck version of the S1 not too long ago, has anyone had a chance to compare the S1 and S2?

10. Janne.M

Janne.M Member

They are amazing!!!!

The Pro series guitars are insanely great guitars for the money.
    My S3 have totaly spoiled me, nothing comes close...

[​IMG]

11. Carltone

Carltone Gold Supporting Member

Several years ago I sold all my regular guitars (about 8 in total ranging from Ibanez, Epiphones, Fenders, etc...) and bought a Suhr Standard...
    best move I ever made... there really is a difference between the quality of Suhrs and "off the rack" guits in my humble opinion... I've had at least 5 other players go out and buy a Suhr after playing mine...
    For most people, it really takes experiencing one to make them a believer...
    I haven't played a Pro series but I have owned three incredible Suhrs and played many more... never met one that felt dicey or substandard in any way.
    Take the plunge and join the club!
    [​IMG]

12. Redrum

Redrum Member

God, more beautiful Suhr's - those pics are amazing, all of them. Carltone; I think you nailed it, I wasn't a believer until I experienced playing that S1. The playability, responsiveness and tone are difficult to really put into words. You feel like a fighter pilot in a Raptor!

Janene.M, that S3 is another model I'm curious about (beautiful guitar btw). Suhr indicated the combination of Basswood body and Maple cap is "the holy grail of tone".
    I've normally associated Basswood with more "affordable" guitars, but if Suhr stands behind it I'm sure it sounds fantastic. Have you by any chance compared the Alder bodied S1 or S2 with the Basswood/Maple capped S3?

A Bengal Burst S3 looks insane......

13. Michael T

Michael T Member

John makes fantastic guitars. My next instrument is going to be one of his tele style guitars.

14. WordMan

WordMan Member

Can anyone describe what tone this combo is typically supposed to provide? Is it more Gibson-y vs. Fender-y due to the maple cap? How would it compare to solid mahogany or mahogany+maple cap?

Thanks!

15. Carltone

Carltone Gold Supporting Member

here's Suhr's thought on woods directly from his website:
    http://suhrguitars.com/wood.aspx

16. WordMan

WordMan Member

17. jcv

jcv Member

I own a Pro S2 and it is fantastic in every way - just a sweet guitar.

[​IMG]

18. Redrum

Redrum Member

Awww, this is killing me :crazy. A Seafoam Green S2? Was that a special order through Suhr or was that a special color that a dealer got when "ordering 5 units or more"?

19. screamtone

screamtone Supporting Member

Okay... I was so close to ordering one of these on Saturday that I actually called the salesman at Dave's twice to ask about it. In the end, I was afraid the neck would be too thin. What is the "Slim 60's" nock on these things like?

20. jcv

jcv Member

Yeah, it came from Nitro Tone in MA - they order a lot of custom colors. I think mine was 1 of 6. I LOVE it! :dude