Suhr - Which one for a strat w/ all maple neck?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rhythmrocker, May 5, 2008.

1. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

Has anyone compared the Suhr Fl classics to the Suhr standards or the VP60LP? I want to try a neck pickup for my Alder/all Maple neck strat and have heard that some are brighter than others - any recommendations for vintagy sound from the Suhr's?

Thanks.

2. oscar100

oscar100 Member

ive got exactly teh same quessie!!!!!

3. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

It depends on what you are looking for. For the brightest, get the V54's. These are chime heaven. For more single note stuff, get the FL's, for Hendrixy type stuff, I like the standard V60's. For fusiony stuff, I like the V60LP's.

4. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

My main amp is a '68 Bassman, with a EVM-12L single in a Mesa 1/2 open back. Of course, I would be happy with Hendrix tone; I like clean and balanced, except with midrange hump. I love open sound, blooming as it were (don't care for the Area pickups because of the compressed sound, especially when using any overdirve) and I tend to very punchier sounds because I hit the note hard and am an "aggressive" player. Based on this, perhaps you might make a more specific recommendation - or not. In either case, thanks for posting as I gather more information about the Suhr pickups.

5. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

+1 for the V54s. But I like to live in chime heaven. :)