Suhr wood help

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Melodic Dreamer, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Okay, I'm at a crossroads

I'm use to the sound of an Alder Strat, but I'm not fond of solid colors. The look of a Trans finish on a Swampash body is just beautiful.

Now, I have noticed that most people buying a swampash body always seem to get a maple neck. I like the feel of Rosewood personaly. How would a swampash body and a indian rosewood neck mesh? Would it still keep the vintage strat sound with these two woulds, or would it be to bright and shrill?

2. Reeek

Reeek Member

The key of matching a swamp ash body with a maple neck is the piano like tone and fat rich spank which that combo yields. The looks are nice too but that clear, bell like sustan and punch is to die for if you like that sort of tone.

I have a Suhr Classic with a one piece maple neck and a Mary Kay one piece swamp ash body. I just changed strings the other day and I am so in love with this guitar's tone and piano like sustain and punch. Fat is an understatement too.

Here is the page from John's website regarding tone and woods. You may even get a direct reply from either John or Ed Yoon.

http://www.suhrguitars.com/wood.htm

It looks like they mention Pao Ferro as a good choice with a swamp ash body too.

My Suhr Classic is the ultimate clean tone guitar IMO and the V60LP's are fantastic with high gain when I choose to kick some in. I have never had a better sounding clean tone guitar in my life however.

3. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

4. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

And... I think the translucent colors look equally good on Alder.
    Not quite as strident and clear as the ash but just a graceful. Actually, that's how I would also describe their tonal differences. I love the punch of ash but alder is my wood of choice on a Strat because, I hear, a sweeter, smoother and rounder sound, especially on the bottoms.

5. MOJO

MOJO Member

i agree ... Trans finishes can look quite nice on the right piece of alder.
    It's hard to tell in this picture but My Thorn has trans blue over an alder back and it looks really nice in person, kinda of like a more subtle swamp ash

http://www.thornguitargallery.com/images/048-14.jpg

6. juggernaut

juggernaut Member

7. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Thanx for the info guys.

Yea, Alder is what I hear a Strat to be. I would love to see some Trans finishes on some more Alder guitars. Post any pics that might help me deside.

I thought Pau Ferro was more for a highgain sound.

8. dookie

dookie Member

When putting together my Classic T, I was going back and forth on the wood choices as well...

I also prefer the feel of a rosewood board...

I went for swamp ash with flame maple top and on John's recommendation, PF over IRW... According to him, IRW sounds brighter with ash than PF does...

I'm really happy with the results I got... My axe has tons of resonance, quick attack, nice clear highs, low lows, and a cool scooped mid thing going on that makes it sound kind of semi hollow even though it isn't...

The PF really tightens things down in OD but stays nice, sparkly, and ringing when clean with no ice picks...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

That's a beautiful instrument...no fret markers...you're a brave guy.;)
    That would take me a while to get used to...'cause I've got DDD...dot dependency disorder:D

10. Dizzie

Dizzie Member

I have 2 virtually identical swamp ash guitars by another maker, both with maple necks, one with a rosewood board and the other with a maple board.

I haven't swapped necks so it maybe the ash but the for me the maple board guitar just sings, much more lively. The Rosewood guitar is a little more compressed, a little more lower-mids bassy and not as crystal clear.

If you're worried about too much top end, then get rosewood. If you like things brighter and clearer then get the maple board.

11. Roe

Roe Member

ash and rosewood can get very bright
    - I believe I've seen many people - including Suhr - claiming this.

12. dookie

dookie Member

Not that brave... There are fret markers on the side...:p

13. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I don't recall seeing a better looking "T" style guitar than this, evah.

BTW, I'm having an ash body with Indian Rosewood fingerboard Suhr Classic made as we speak, I'll let you know when I get it what it sounds like. I'm already using Suhr V60LP Strat pickups in my Fender Strat Relic and therefore have a solid understanding of what these pickups do, these are my favorite pickups, they are slightly darker than most Strat pickups I've played, (but in a very good way), which aleviates my concern over excessive brightness from the ash/rosewood combination. Like you, I don't care for maple fingerboards, but I also don't much like Pau Ferro, my guitars with rosewood/alder are too dull for my tastes, so I'm comfortable with my wood choice of ash/indian rosewood.

14. dookie

dookie Member

Thanks for the kind words... This guitar indeed kicks "a":dude

15. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Thanx a lot! When should you be receiving this guitar?

16. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I have no idea when, and I anticipate it may take longer than some as I'm asking for some unusual and sick stuff. I haven't even asked about a delivery date as I don't want to pressure a masterpiece. I figure it will be quite a kick when I get the phone call saying it's shipping. I'll let Noel of Tone Merchants have his way with it before sending it to me as he's been such a great intermediary in dialing in the specs. I'm sure it will be done in the fullness of time. Until then, I've got plenty of wicked guitars to keep me busy, but I have a very good feeling that this Suhr will become my main go-to axe.

17. srepetto

srepetto Member

Here is my new (used) swamp ash with a rosewood board Classic
    T - #1530.
    Just arrived from NCarolina...........

[​IMG]photo by RClemmer

18. andergtr

andergtr Member

the problem with transparent finishes on alder is that a lot of alder has a naturally gray tint to it. ash, on the other hand, is a very light wood, which makes it more suited to transparent finishes.

shoot a transparent white finish over an alder body, and it comes out kinda grayish. at least this is what i was told by the fine folks at tom anderson.

john ou